I rarely change my oil

I agree. My 2005 has enough technology to turn off the lights if I forget them, unlock the drivers door if I try to lock it with the key in the ignition, tell me if I try to drive with the parking brake on or a door open etc..has an oil life monitor, etc. I don't need much more than that.
if anything even my 03 sierra has too much tech in it still. id be fine with even less than what it has.

My 2007 Honda Accord and my (former) 2000 BMW had about the right amount of technology: power steering, power brakes, power outside mirrors, AC, rear window defroster, manual cruise control, ABS and traction control. A back up camera (like on the Tesla) is nice too but I don't actually need one.

“Blue Flame” six cylinder in the ‘53 Chevy, ahead of its‘ time! You think electronic engine controls, better watch out for lane avoidance warnings, radar assisted cruise control, rain sensing wipers, ”autopilot”, and other guaranteed to break options!
My dad just bought his first car ever with power windows, because "its just one more thing to break"...he is right

Timing chains on old style pushrod engines are almost never an issue
Sorry, replaced too many to buy THAT line.

351W for example had nylon steel composite gears, guaranteed to fail. "Iron Duke" 4's with Phenolic Resin Composite gear (no chain), guaranteed to fail. The rest could and would wear out.

351W for example had nylon steel composite gears, guaranteed to fail. "Iron Duke" 4's with Phenolic Resin Composite gear (no chain), guaranteed to fail. The rest could and would wear out.
Yup, there were certainly some that would fail. It wasn't just the 351W that had the nylon gear, the loPo 302 had it as well, while the HO got the double roller. Later, ford upgraded the LoPo to the double roller, as my '89 Townie had one stock, but an earlier Vic an acquaintance had apart had the nylon teeth on the upper gear, and it was single roller. The double roller setups were pretty bomb proof though.

The 300 I6, despite being known for its durability, was an engine that had nylon timing gears for a period. They would also fail, that's what killed my '88 F-250 and why it ended up with a 302HO in it.

So he came to a forum where most people are really fussy about changing their oil regularly to point out to the world that he is really lazy and kind of dumb? Sorry to offend if anyone reading this is lazy or dumb.A whole twenty-five bucks or so. It is very hard changing oil for some, I just do it in fifteen minutes after dinner while watching the sun go down. Giving it a few minutes to drain well. With my truck, you don't even have to jack it up.
Maybe he is lucky that older Hondas were very reliable.
I thought about ignoring your sadness. But why let you get away with being so childish.
You spoke about me in the third person. passive aggressive much?
ya really didnt have the courage to address me directly?

You have done a bunch of guessing here. I must be lazy or dumb for not changing my oil.

I guess you might want to look at why you got triggered by my question.
Is your identity really that wrapped up in how often you change your oil? Might wanna got to a head mechanic for that one cowboy.

through your sadness you in the end did verify something which was obvious in my post.
Yes Hondas are reliable. But I assume you really meant to write, well-built, forgiving or something..

Still no real insight about why I got away with a poor maintenance schedule.

I never change oil.
I just change the car.
More profitable in this economy
I worked at a place once where guys did just replace their cars. A student economy.
Cheap cars available when students left.
Food deliveries guys would drive car for a school year or semester.
a long time ago when A decent used car was only $1000

There's a difference between engines that leak oil and engines that burn oil.

My theory (I have no evidence) is that an engine that leaks a lot of oil, maybe a quart every 500 or 1000 miles could get by with only a filter change once in a while (say every 7500 miles). You can think of it as having a regular drain and fill, just not all at once. And an engine that burns oil needs to have its oil and filter changed regularly, nearly as often as an engine that neither burns nor uses oil.

My theory is that most debris doesn't pass the rings or valve seals and is accumulating in the oil. Only "good oil" is getting burned. Its additive package would stay more current than if no oil was being added however.

That's my theory. I might be right and I might be wrong. I'd like to see an oil analysis of representative examples of both types of engines.
Thanks! this makes a bunch of sense to me.
The oil was effectively getting changed.
I wish I had thought to open up the oil filter and see how full of junk it was.

The answer to my question seems to have been answered more or less.
Something along the lines of
Hondas are forgiving and my oil was being changed slowly, continuously as I was driving.

Thanks!

Sorry I didn't realize we were talking about the 70s. Yes I replaced the high mileage nylon coated gears and chain in my 76 350 as they were starting to show stress cracks at high mileage.
So I'll rephrase that. Anything in the late 80s+ that did not have nylon coating on the gears is likely to last a long time. 332k miles on my 89 305 Chevy, several other high mileage 305s I had and modern LS pushrod engines. 9400 hours on my 2005 gm 4.8 and I've never heard of one needing a chain.
Sorry, I assumed we were comparing modern ohc engines to at least stuff made within the last 30 years or so. Lol.
And here people were giving someone in another thread a hard time because he said he wouldn't buy a new Ford f150 because his 2001 wasn't good! Lol.

Sorry I didn't realize we were talking about the 70s. Yes I replaced the high mileage nylon coated gears and chain in my 76 350 as they were starting to show stress cracks at high mileage.
So I'll rephrase that. Anything in the late 80s+ that did not have nylon coating on the gears is likely to last a long time. 332k miles on my 89 305 Chevy, several other high mileage 305s I had and modern LS pushrod engines. 9400 hours on my 2005 gm 4.8 and I've never heard of one needing a chain.
Sorry, I assumed we were comparing modern ohc engines to at least stuff made within the last 30 years or so. Lol.
And here people were giving someone in another thread a hard time because he said he wouldn't buy a new Ford f150 because his 2001 wasn't good! Lol.
Apology accepted... but the moment you brought up "old style pushrod engines", the conversation already moved backwards by decades!

But we are in agreement... a properly set-up steel gear and quality timing chain should outlast most any other part of the vehicle.

if anything even my 03 sierra has too much tech in it still. id be fine with even less than what it has.
Well my other vehicle is a 1984 Cutlass with no ECM, carbureted, roll up windows and manual locks. So yeah I'm fine with it too I just appreciate some of the tech in the truck.

Apology accepted... but the moment you brought up "old style pushrod engines", the conversation already moved backwards by decades!

But we are in agreement... a properly set-up steel gear and quality timing chain should outlast most any other part of the vehicle.
I guess I should have been more specific but when I said "old style" I didn't mean old. The ls engine is still one of the most common on the road, built since around 98 to very recently.
Most people here wouldn't consider my 76 olds engine still relevant. I think most of the manufacturers stopped using the nylon coated gears in the 80s.
Even so, on those cars it was a cheap enough repair, that many would do ad preventative maintenance when the water pump failed. Replace it with steel gears and it should last almost forever.

Yup, there were certainly some that would fail. It wasn't just the 351W that had the nylon gear, the loPo 302 had it as well, while the HO got the double roller. Later, ford upgraded the LoPo to the double roller, as my '89 Townie had one stock, but an earlier Vic an acquaintance had apart had the nylon teeth on the upper gear, and it was single roller. The double roller setups were pretty bomb proof though.

The 300 I6, despite being known for its durability, was an engine that had nylon timing gears for a period. They would also fail, that's what killed my '88 F-250 and why it ended up with a 302HO in it.
Even the later FE engines (360, 390) got the nylon gears. We had a '72 Ford F-100 with a 390 that had the gears fail.

In general, as long as an engine has some kind of oil in it, it will run a lot longer than people think.
It doesnt have to be clean, or ‘fresh’…it just has to be there in liquid form.

In general, as long as an engine has some kind of oil in it, it will run a lot longer than people think.
It doesnt have to be clean, or ‘fresh’…it just has to be there in liquid form.
For a lot of engines this is true. I drove a 2005 impala taxi for a couple months that had gone 60k miles on the oil until the filter rusted out and leaked. The car had 190k miles roughly and the 3800 ran great. It handled nice too with the police suspension.

For a lot of engines this is true. I drove a 2005 impala taxi for a couple months that had gone 60k miles on the oil until the filter rusted out and leaked. The car had 190k miles roughly and the 3800 ran great. It handled nice too with the police suspension.
That's one of the few times I've heard of an oil filter rusting out.

That's one of the few times I've heard of an oil filter rusting out.
I think that was the first I'd seen. The second was on my psycho ex's 2004 Impala... hers was not quite leaking yet but very close. Funny thing is the 3800 ran great on hers and the rad started falling out because the rad cradle was so rusted out.

Back