I need help understanding if Redline or Amsoil is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tldr: is premium oil really worth premium prices for a daily ricer?

In doing some searching on the forum none of the threads really help me understand if it's worth either brand, just that there's tons of addictive in Redline, and Amsoil isn't really worth it. And this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/am-i-wasting-money-with-amsoil-schaeffers.332678/ kinda makes me think the verdict is still out on "worth".

My car has a turbo direct injection gasoline engine that's open port with an aluminum block. I drive regularly 90% of the time, and beat it somewhat hard 10%. I live in a part of the country that is cold more than hot (PA). In my engine I notice a difference if I use Redline and the highest octane Shell Gas.

Today I switched to Amsoil and it just ... I'm not impressed. I definetly feel a difference but it's not an improvement. The other thing is I hear quite often "oil is just oil, and it's not worth the price". Is that true? I really hammer this car sometimes and want it to last at least 5 years.
Member JLTD (Thank You Sir!) gave me 3 gallons of Amsoil SS 5W30. My son and I were able to do an OCI in each of our trucks (he had to buy an additional qt. because his engine holds 7 qts.).
After about 7.5K miles his engine was down almost a qt. He bought a qt. of M1 and added it. Mine was down almost a 1/2 qt. in 2.6K miles. For some unknown reason our engines were consuming oil, which had NEVER happened before with previous OCI's.
I made a post about it here and some stated that some engines need a few OCI's with the Amsoil before it will stop consuming it. YMMV 🤷‍♂️
We dumped the Amsoil and went back with Havoline Pro-DS 5W30. No oil consumption so far.

After seeing mobil 1, pennzoil, etc (on sale) for $32.99 per jug at a local store makes my amsoil orders look pretty thrifty.
After seeing Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc. in everyday pricing at my local Walmart for less than or right around $24 makes that look even more thrifty. In fact the Mobil 1 product is well under $23 right now.

Plus you can get it delivered to your door for the same price, no membership needed. Double thrifty.

Last edited:
After seeing mobil 1, pennzoil, etc (on sale) for $32.99 per jug at a local store makes my amsoil orders look pretty thrifty.
Right now Mobil1 EP is on sale at Walmart for $24.95, if you buy 2x5qt for $50 it is free shipping. Then you fill out rebate and get $30 back, total cost $10 for 5qt of Mobil1 EP, how does Amsoil compare?

What I don't understand is why Amsoil fans always point to getting their oil delivered as a benefit, as if other types of oil cannot be delivered..?
See my post a few pages back...

Sure, its always better to support MLM pyramid sales than WM 🤔
would not surprise me that WM lousing money when you have free shipping on something heavy as oil which is on sale. So maybe I am destroying WM 😀

Last edited:
For a company that ships a lot of stuff every day, I think the incremental cost of an additional package (unless you are in a remote location) is pretty small. IOW if they are going to Tom, ****, and Mary's houses in your neighborhood, that additional stop at your house isn't much extra time/effort/fuel. That's how Amazon has achieved "critical mass" in the home delivery biz.

For a company that ships a lot of stuff every day, I think the incremental cost of an additional package (unless you are in a remote location) is pretty small. IOW if they are going to Tom, ****, and Mary's houses in your neighborhood, that additional stop at your house isn't much extra time/effort/fuel. That's how Amazon has achieved "critical mass" in the home delivery biz.
Yes, in most cases they make money, but in some its a loss. They are all big businesses, for as long as over all they make tons of money they dont care if its negative profit in some cases.

...( and delivered to my door for the same price as other oil ).
Can you expand on this? What Amsoil and what "other oil" are you comparing here?

In other words, are you comparing apples to apples? Or the best deal possible for Amsoil compared to the worst possible price for "other oil"?

I can get Mobil 1 EP for $5/qt delivered without trying, does Amsoil meet that price for you somehow? I've never seen anything like it when I have looked, but I don't know anything about being a preferred customer.

Right now Mobil1 EP is on sale at Walmart for $24.95, if you buy 2x5qt for $50 it is free shipping. Then you fill out rebate and get $30 back, total cost $10 for 5qt of Mobil1 EP, how does Amsoil compare?
Kinda makes you wonder why a company is giving oil away for 10$

Promoting their products. Given that not many people change their own oil and/or look for rebates, they will not be at a big loss.
All correct.
Plus, there are two different things going on here. One is Walmart's retail price, which they may or may not promote as a net after rebate cost.
The other is Mobil's wholesale price, which includes the cost of anticipated rebate payouts. The number of eligible rebates redeemed used to be in the single digits of percentage points.
Walmart's price is based on how much they feel they must make, or are willing to lose for promotional purposes, on a container of oil on a given day.

For a every day commuter car with extended intervals anything OTC synthetic will do with a quality filter.

When it comes to track days even some OTC oils like M1 and Castrol 0w40 will do the trick with the A40 and 229.5 spec.

Redline does good for oil when it comes to short intervals as some have shown oxidization at high mileage intervals due to the esters. I wouldn't think twice about running it for 5,000 miles or a bit more, check out the UOAs here. Redline makes great lubes for diffs and transmissions and that is no doubt.

In the end of the day, it's your money your rules. Who cares what anyone here says? Most people here penny pinch and rightfully so since modern day synthetics provide phenomenal protection at the fraction of the cost of Redline and Amsoil when it comes to commuter cars and dealer/OLM recommended intervals/warnings. But if I was pounding the redline on track or autocross days I'd pony up and go for Motul 300v or Redline, just for that mental re assurance (something that has no price). Tons of great uoas on Redline, Amsoil and OTC oils (UOAs do not tell the entire story but a small part of it). So take your pick. If Redline with its esters and high HTHS numbers gives you a relaxed feeling when walking away from your car and putting your head on the pillow you go for it.

Beauty is that we have a plethora of choices and not all choices can be quantified. It's like choosing between airlines when I fly to India on vacation. Do I go with Cathay? Singapore? Emirates? Lufthansa? Turkish? KLM? I mean all their longhaul aircraft are either Airbus or Boeing, have wings, engines (which are provided by GE or RR or PW) and get you to the same spot. But what airline do I like? Am I willing to pay a few extra $ to enjoy Emirates over Turkish? Or Singapore over Lufthansa? Do I like ones airport hub better than the others? All are phenomenal airlines with great on board service and well trained pilots, I'll pick what I want in the end and what gives me a peace of mind.

Don't beat around the bush, is there some delicious conspiracy in play here? Is Mobil reselling City Star in their prestigious silver bottles to the unsuspecting unwashed masses?

I bought Kirkland Dexos spec at Costco for 11 bucks for 5 quarts. And I have to think they make money at that price otherwise they wouldn't sell at that price. If I spread the 60 dollar Costco membership over the $3000 or so I typically buy there per year, you can add another 2 per cent to my actual cost.

Kinda makes you wonder who in their right mind would pay 5 times as much for Amsoil for a normal OCI on a passenger car. Hitting the track or vehicle seeing some really harsh conditions, fine, spend the extra and nobody will say a word, but please stop it with the "rebate discounted oil must be watered down" nonsense.

Kinda makes you wonder who in their right mind would pay 5 times as much for Amsoil for a normal OCI on a passenger car. Hitting the track or vehicle seeing some really harsh conditions, fine, spend the extra and nobody will say a word, but please stop it with the "rebate discounted oil must be watered down" nonsense.
It's not really nonsense it's a legit concern. If it can be sold for this much then why was it sold for $23 in the past? Ultimately you get what you pay for.

It's not really nonsense it's a legit concern. If it can be sold for this much then why was it sold for $23 in the past? Ultimately you get what you pay for.
What is the legit concern? Are you claiming the various varieties do not meet or carry the licenses or approvals printed on the container? That's quite a claim if that's what you're saying.

What you're getting and what you pay for are those approvals and licenses which document the real-world performance of the oil. If you believe they are illegitimate then that's a serious problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back