I need a better grease gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sums it up. I need to buy a new/better grease gun today on the way home, any suggestions? My last parts store grease gun was a real pain, leaking grease and I could not get it to pop onto the zerks last week. I need it to finish greasing my tractor/implements and to grease my truck.

I have had good luck with Lincoln grease guns. The ones at the John Deere dealer aren't bad either.

Before you buy a new grease gun, have you tried a new tip on your current one?

Ditto on the new tip. Check into a 4 cleat tip. Have changed all my guns to this tip and eliminated connection problems.

A tip is a good idea except for 1 small problem. The T handle to draw the plunger back is gone as well. I think it backed off when I used it last on my tractor. Only problem with going and finding it is that spot now has several tons of sand sitting on it. Plus the fact the gun leaked like crazy. I know which grease you use matters but better grease only does so much for this gun. I think it had a plunger problem it always leaked quite a bit no matter what I did.

I should have added I have had 2 or 3 better guns that all seem to have walked away. :no-no: That's why I picked one up at the parts store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I stopped by my local hardware looking for a gun saturday and they only had the mini-gun so still no new gun. How bad do I need a new one? I tried using my old gun to finish greasing my tractor. Everything started off fine then no grease. I thought maybe I had run out of grease but when I pulled the barrel off I still had half a cartridge of grease. I reset the plunger and tried to get pressure back but again no dice. This particular gun has been a piece since I bought it.
06.gif

I appreciate the tip re: the better tip as to a four cleat version. I have a AZ or Advance Auto Gr. gun which will clamp on a fitting and not slip off. But when you try to remove it, it won't pop off. I have to exert excessive force and you feel like you are going to pop off the grease fitting by the threads. Any specific recommendations on 'tips' by brand and where to purchase?
Regards the gun leaking. I have had that happen to me also. I had heard it was the grease separating or breaking down. The leaking is a clear fluid which is a by-product which occurs when the grease separates. This sourse says the more expensive Green Grease won't separate. Has anyone tried Green Grease? I was going to try the Mobil 1 synthetic grease, but may try the Green Grease instead.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
I appreciate the tip re: the better tip as to a four cleat version. I have a AZ or Advance Auto Gr. gun which will clamp on a fitting and not slip off. But when you try to remove it, it won't pop off. I have to exert excessive force and you feel like you are going to pop off the grease fitting by the threads. Any specific recommendations on 'tips' by brand and where to purchase?
Regards the gun leaking. I have had that happen to me also. I had heard it was the grease separating or breaking down. The leaking is a clear fluid which is a by-product which occurs when the grease separates. This sourse says the more expensive Green Grease won't separate. Has anyone tried Green Grease? I was going to try the Mobil 1 synthetic grease, but may try the Green Grease instead.

If you have trouble getting the tip off a fitting, try unscrewing the fitting some. The pressure is holding the tip onto the fitting.

Also if you have a grease gun that does not work, you may have some hardened grease in the gun itself that you can clean out.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
..I have to exert excessive force and you feel like you are going to pop off the grease fitting by the threads.

That could be a real issue. You see more and more equipment now with pressed in zerks as opposed to thead in ones. A tip with too much grip will yank those babies right out. Even with a cheapy gun and tip, I've found if you've got the space to make sure your tip is held in place as inline/centered with the zerk as possible, you'll get grease in there w/ no leakage.

Joel

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
I need to buy a new/better grease gun today on the way home, any suggestions?

My brother is a full time farmer and one of his grease guns is electric. It uses the battery pack from his 18V (I think) drill. He's had it about a year and it he seems to like it.

Lincoln - no substitutes. They are not cheap, but it is worth the money. I paid $40 at O'Reilly, but can be had cheaper on Amazon.

I bought a gun from NAPA for $17 on sale and a $5 tip. Believe it or not for $23 its a much better gun then the one I paid more for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back