I like Hummers now. Should I be guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least International has a pedigree...
Not like it's a NISSAN for cryin' out loud
lol.gif

Scott

I don't think anyone want to be in the category that the demographic studies by the major car Mfrs. have of SUVs owners.
They have spent very large sums of money researching this subject, and the profile of the SUV owner is not complementary.
[Don't shoot the messenger!]

I've never understood the fascination the fairer sex seems to have with H2s. They almost never use them for their intended purpose (offroad), H2s are even *less* practical than an already impractical Yukon/Tahoe, and they are not as safe as a minivan when it comes to crash test ratings (rollovers). It seems to be all about image, the "I'm too cool to drive a minivan" attitude. These days, the stereotypical tough-truck-looking SUV driver is not a man, and it is someone who cares about image over safety/economy, someone who chooses their vehicle like they would a purse. Sorry, but, as someone who uses their SUV for its intended purpose, it is a sad sight to see this.

"Rant On> I've never understood the fascination the fairer sex seems to have with H2s. They almost never use them for their intended purpose (offroad)"

I don't think the intended purpose of the H2 is offroad. More like to "look" like it could go offroad. It has more on-road bling than off road hardware.

I personally think it is a travesty to lump the H2 and H3 in the same galaxy with the H1. They are Hummer in name only.

The one time I HATE HUMMERS is when I go to a parking lot and they're all taking two spots.
As for gas, that's your biz. If you can swing it and don't care about the expense, enjoy.

Nothing wrong with a hummer. Except maybe if you decide to commute in one like my past coworker were we went 100 miles round trip a day. We switched off to my Civic the other days.

I will never understand.... but whatever floats your boat. Today I saw a Hummer stretch limo at the gas pump, on the other side of the pump I was at. I asked him how long it was... 34 ft.! It has the regular 25 gallon tank. I told him he should put a tank at the front, then he could fill both of them at the same time as he was at both pumps!
lol.gif

There shouldn't be anything to be ashamed about, unless you are concerned about the fact that the vast amounts of gas it takes to drive around on paved streets and compensate for some personal deficiency by being the biggest redneck on the road, ultimately takes away from the fuel that our kids will be able to get and increases our dependency on thoses who would just as soon see this country crispy around the edges than have our money. But you have the right in this country to be a self indulged consumer, catering to your need to feel bigger about yorself behind the wheel at least. Just another example of our overindulged, me-first attitude that would make our forefathers puke. What the heck, drive on!

I have a different viewpoint than savvy.

In my view Hummers are everything that is right about America. That's because while Hummers don't make sense to a large segement of the population, those people haven't been permitted to take away the rights of the people who want to buy one. Thankfully, America is still a place where people who believe their viewpoints are the "correct" ones can't force everyone else to comply with their opinions, and conform to what they view America should be.

Those same people that think Hummers should be outlawed will apply similar "superior opinions" throughout their daily life. For example, many believe that people shouldn't be permitted to drive faster than what the "superior" opinioned people hold as a safe speed. That, coincidentally is probably the same "hypothetical" guy identified by savvy driving the SUV in the fast lane...but not passing anyone. Ignore for a moment that this driver clearly doesn't understand the reason taxpayers have spent so much money to create a highway with a fast/passing lane and a slow lane. That guy is determined to create a self-righteous, self-centered and slow-moving wall of stupid to correct the behavior of the people behind him.

He does this because he feels justified in imposing his viewpoint on "safety" or fuel economy. He ignores the fact that the people behind him may not happen to be paralyzed with fear at the thought of going 5 over the limit. He also ignores the fact that if the guy behind him happens to be a cop instead of the governor, he will be given a ticket for being in the fast lane and not overtaking the vehicle beside him. The fact is that this behavior constitutes a tickable offense in many states, because it has been proven to be behavior that causes accidents, not prevents them (as the intellectual superior believes).

I don't personally understand the attraction to Hummers, but what I do undertand is the desire to live in a place where one group's opinions can't be crammed down another group's throat. America is one of the last places on earth in which the concept of liberty and personal freedom is still a highly valued ideal.

While I don't agree with savvy, I support his right to have the opinion. I just see it differently. In my own opinion, the issue isn't "screw you - better get out of my way" as he believes, but instead, in a free and democratic society the real issue is that we have the obligation not to get in each others' way at all. If the guy in the SUV driving slowly wasn't trying to alter the behavior of the person behind him, then there wouldn't be a problem. Furthermore, if you are trying to alter my behavior in this way and I can't give you a ticket for it because I'm not a cop...then you deserve to be intimidated.

In my view the rule is - as long as I'm not hurting you, and you're not hurting me, I won't try to alter your behavior and you shouldn't try to alter mine. It's pretty much the basic premise that America was founded upon. This premise is one that is not highly valued in many other countries. As a citizen of another country (Canada) it is something I admire very much about America. I think a massive number of the people of the world not living in America feel the same way.

[edited for typo]

quote:

While I don't agree with savvy, I support his right to have the opinion. I just see it differently. In my own opinion, the issue isn't "screw you - better get out of my way" as he believes, but instead, in a free and democratic society the real issue is that we have the obligation not to get in each others' way at all. If the guy in the SUV driving slowly wasn't trying to alter the behavior of the person behind him, then there wouldn't be a problem. Furthermore, if you are trying to alter my behavior in this way and I can't give you a ticket for it because I'm not a cop...then you deserve to be intimidated.

Huh ?! What ?!

Clearly you have taken my story and twisted it to suit your own agenda. The guy in the hypothetical Hummer was trying to alter the behavior of the SUV......which BTW was going 80 mph.
smile.gif
Not the other way around. I do not begrudge anyone owning a Hummer, I was speaking on principle. Clearly you have a naive understanding of what America is. If you don't understand the attraction to Hummers, perhaps you have interjected in the wrong thread.

Thanks for your insightful commentary on American psyche from Calgary.

No offense is intended to savvy or the citizens of a country that I admire.

My apologies to the group for contributing to a political topic in a forum that is meant to be strictly apolitical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back