I hate new car driver aids

Status
Not open for further replies.
the biggest safety feature is lacking, that is NOT allowing a cell phone to function once the key is in the ignition

My M235i does not have a single Helen Keller "driving aid"- thank goodness. And the stability control can be fully disabled. The GTS and G30 I'm considering can both have the "driving aids" disabled by default.
Having said all that, I do like parking sensors such as BMW's PDC, as they actually DO assist your ability to avoid objects that wouldn't otherwise be visible.

Originally Posted by benjy
the biggest safety feature is[sic] lacking, that is NOT allowing a cell phone to function once the key is in the ignition

Yet another of your extremely astute and incredibly helpful suggestions; I assume your ban would extend to hands-free telematics as well?

I went from fully loaded with parking sensors, adaptive cruise, blind spot blah blah blah to bare bones. My truck doesn't even have auto climate control (which I think is awful anyway), and I LOVE it.

Back up cameras are nice though. That's one thing I'll always get.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Soon to come:. driverless cars.

I can't wait. Traffic accidents and fatalities will drop to record lows.

yes: traditional automatic transmission, naturally aspirated engine that runs on regular gasoline, manual aircondtioning, bluetooth radio for my pandora, cd player, manual cruise control, abs, decent all season tires, cloth seats, airbags, seatbelts, backup camera...im not a total luddite.

no: all electronic nannies, moonroof, cvt, turbo engine, automatic stop/start, keyless ignition, exorbitant car prices/payments.

maybe this beer-named economic reset will make folks realize what they can truly afford and live without, so as to live more simply within their means. as for the green virtue signaling technology, i want to know if all the extra manufacturing steps needed to produce the latest enviro-friendly gizmos really lead to a net enviro-gain. tanstaafl.

Wish I could buy a high horsepower car with basic a/c as an option and just a engine/trans computer. Screw all the body modules, climate computers, and internet of things GARBAGE

A huge yes !!!

Its the reason I went back to driving a 1991 truck as a daily. Easy to work on, reliable, and as simple as can be as far as electronics.

Originally Posted by MCompact
My M235i does not have a single Helen Keller "driving aid"- thank goodness. And the stability control can be fully disabled.

It doesn't have ABS brakes?
heck, even my 32 year old e30 has that!

Originally Posted by morepwr
Its the reason I went back to driving a 1991 truck as a daily. Easy to work on, reliable, and as simple as can be as far as electronics.

Sounds like a chick magnet.

Originally Posted by Cujet
There is a theory that the recent rash of Mustang and Corvette burnout-spinout-pedestrian/tree/jersey barrier crashes are due to the inconsistent nature of the electronic nannies. Drivers turn the traction control off, but both the stability control system and a portion of the traction control remain at least partially functional and/or turns itself back on and the car suddenly grips and heads off in a different direction than expected.

There may be a bit of truth to this. I've always believed the problem was located between the seat cushions and the steering wheel. But even advanced drivers climb out of a smoking crash and exclaim that the car did not behave as predicted.

The Outback is the same way, a single button to turn of traction control, but the stability control stays on. I only drift around in the snow or gravel but the stability control has a habit of braking on the inside front wheel even when the car has reasonable drift angle and I've already put on some opposite lock. I guess the stability algorithm is trying to reduce overall front grip but its also transferring more weight to the front and if I didn't have the correct opposite lock dialed in already, I think the stability control could promote a spin just as easily as reducing the slip angle. To me the stability control system doesn't recognize when the car has stabilized in a drift and the driver is in control. Its not surprising that Subaru doesn't really expect its average customer to drift around in an Outback, but Ford knows there's going to be a lot of owners drifting around a Mustang at some point.

My latest Focus wagon has no ABS or traction control and I haven't missed either at all. Its always faster to disable TC for autocross and I found it was also better to pull the ABS fuse as well as ABS doesn't like trail braking into corners with the rear inside tire up in the air....

Interesting Technology. Unfortunately due to the expense associated with fixing this stuff they do not make insurance any cheaper.

My truck has all of the active safety features Ford offers. I don't care about 90% of them but it's the only way I could get adaptive cruise control. Adaptive cruise control makes long highway drives so relaxing that I'll never buy another car without it.

Wish I could buy a high horsepower car with basic a/c as an option and just a engine/trans computer. Screw all the body modules, climate computers, and internet of things GARBAGE

Find an old 930 or better yet a Yellow Bird!

Stuff like self-parking, collision advoidance, blind spot alerts, they are all for teen girls and low-T guys who text on the road and have no driving skill.

This is the dumbest post in quite a while. Thanks for adding no value to the board.

Most of you guys sound just like the folks that were complaining about three point seat belts and air bags back in the day. Technology is advancing and saving lives; I am for it.

P.S. My insurance costs went down when I bought a car with all these active safety features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back