I got a "new" truck

Originally Posted by JTK
Caprice, I hear you. Provided the cab corners are solid, it's relatively clean underneath, runs and drives fine, that truck would have sold easily for $2200 in the Buffalo area as well. Or double that for Canadian $.

My boss gave me our 2005 Silverado work truck, needing cab corners and rockers (eventually) otherwise good body and frame, 190k miles 8400 hours and looking up local used prices it looks like it would cost me $3000+ for one that's way rustier than mine, they all seem to have high mileage. Mine is extended cab, 4x4 LS models with fairly good interior, but it seems like any truck without rust is worth way more than I'd expect.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Fine...fine...I'll ask the question no one has - what oil will get run on it?

Probably nexgen HM 10w30. But I'm not there yet, "beating on" the old oil as I mess around with it in my driveway.

Dug under the seat trying to chase down my airbag light, found this:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by addyguy
Fine...fine...I'll ask the question no one has - what oil will get run on it?

Probably nexgen HM 10w30. But I'm not there yet, "beating on" the old oil as I mess around with it in my driveway.

Dug under the seat trying to chase down my airbag light, found this:

[Linked Image]

I had to fix that first on my 05, but it still has codes for both front air bag sensors. They get salt inside them and fail inevitably. Hopefully yours are fine.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by JTK
Is it a 4L60E in it? Maybe it's second?

Should be, and hard saying, not knowing. No complaints about how it runs or shifts (knock wood).

Not necessarily...the one at work is on engine #3, but the original transmission with a little over 200k miles. It's a '12 4.8 2WD 4L60E. The original engine had catastrophic loss of oil pressure a little before 200k, the first LKQ replacement had 170k or so and broke a timing chain guide within probably 6k miles. Its warranty replacement is in as of yesterday. Flexplate broke before all this happened too, but the 4L60E keeps trucking on despite being in and out of the truck four times now.

$2200 is a steal for a run/drive full size truck that new even with rust, the parts are worth more than that for sure. I'm not a fan of GMT900s at all and still say you did good.

Day off from work. Made it a car care day! Took two 33-gallon trash cans full of detritus to the dump. Wiped down the inside. Scraped off the paint overspray and window stickers. Windexed everything inside. Got the nicotine off the glass. Mounted four tires. They are heavy AF and each took 5-6 oz to balance. Mastercraft LT's good for 80 psi, I put in 42. The old tires look even worse off the truck, I only have one without wires sticking out. Kids want a tire swing, they can have that one. Put in a new battery... A group 65 will fit if you hammer down a little lip in the tray. Worked bondo on one fender. Ran out of bondo. Got the passenger windshield wiper re-engaged with the splines. Found a bad headlight-- on order. Found cracks in both tail lights. Drat! Nickel and dime stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The old girl cleaned up well! The interior held up well considering the mileage and abuse it took. Someone had fun finishing off those rear tires, third from the left was spinning for a while!

Got the trailer hitch off, don't need this thing dragging me down in a state inspection:

[Linked Image]

The bolts weren't made of the same steel because they came off like they went in yesterday!

[Linked Image]

Here's another frame shot

[Linked Image]

Did oil and antifreeze after reading about that guy with the never-ending rusty system. "Looks" good but I've got new dexcool in that's been sitting in my basement forever. This truck has the easiest burping coolant system in the world! However, you have to pull the fender liner then the lower hose to drain it, a messy and time consuming process.

[Linked Image]

Nice, the underside looks like it should be solid for a while with a little care. The inside looks a lot better.

You should be able to get a pair of aftermarket taillights for $60-70. Aftermarket parts are super cheap for these. I got a chrome cap power mirror for an 08 Tahoe for about $30.

Also, if the inside door handle metal rod breaks, GM only sells the whole door panel or the plastic part of the handle, which is before the failure point. However an aftermarket handle repair kit is $15 or so, maybe $25 in a store. Same for console lid latches, though that truck probably doesn't have one.

What's the deal with the GM trailer hitches? I have a lot of friends with GM trucks and the hitches always rot out. Bodies and frames are good, though.

Originally Posted by Miller88
What's the deal with the GM trailer hitches? I have a lot of friends with GM trucks and the hitches always rot out. Bodies and frames are good, though.

Made at a different shop than the frame? I mean, these trucks could be had w/o a hitch, right? Good amount sold for fleet sales or whatever that didn't need hitches. So save 3 cents per by using cheaper steel.

At the very least it's easy enough to replace.

Even where I live … it can be a struggle to maintain an aftermarket hitch too. Many of them come with just enough paint to make them black. I'd have called it paper thin coat … but don't think it's that thick.
In 8 years on my last GMC … probably did wire-brush, Ospho, and rattle can paint yearly …
(Reese)

This was more of a meth truck. About a dozen cans of PVC cement or primer were in the bed. Did the get buried in the snow so the guy bought more? Hard saying. Most tradesmen here use vans.

Got my ebay TPMSs today, 3 out of 4 were bad. I was hoping to just pop one bead and sneak them in but they were too bulky, and the old ones too stubborn, so I dismounted my tires all over again. Live and learn. (The old sensors have a brass "straw" that goes through the valve stem.)

My new sensors responded to my TPMS tool so I didn't have to drop 2 psi on the active corner to sync them to the computer. Way better system than Toyota!

Scantool came in. Airbag issue was the wiring under the driver's seat but also a bumper sensor. Expensive! Also, an apparent weak spot on these trucks where they freeze and burst.

At least the truck body style looks decent unlike the current Chevrolets in my opinion. Though since I’m a diehard Ford guy I would of fixed the Ford any day.

Back