I emailed shell about T6.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
..and got back JUST the answer back from them that I expected. I merely asked what group their T-6 5w40 "synthetic" oil was, and was told "it is not shell policy to discuss formulations of products, including base stock constituents. Shell rotella T-6 is full synthetic." WELL,...it's not like if even if they did tell me what group (3 hydrocracked,4 PAO, or 5 ester) they used, I would copy them and try to make a better oil in my garage now! Im sure that fellow who replied back to me probably had 842 prior emails from folks asking the same question? -Ponch

I emailed Pennzoil over a month ago and still haven't received a response. I asked them if they knew that on their site, there is no mention of Platinum meeting Ford's 5w20 spec(930?).

I'm sure it does but last time I checked, there was no mention of it.

"Quattro pete" I did ask them about HT/HS and NOACK volatility specs, and their reply was "HT/HS and NOACK are set in API classifications, and shell rotella T6 meets them all".....AGAIN very vauge to say the least! If they would only be honest to me, I JUST might use/promote their oils to others? It's very simple....be honest to customer without giving out "proprietary information" and watch your profits go up! That's my reasoning anyway?

It's also no secret that it is an outstanding performer, and problably one of the better choices on the market, as defined on a performance/dollar ratio.

It does tend to shear a bit in some situations, but that's expected from a wide-grade (5w-40) group III with a heavy load of VIIs. But in no way have I seen that loss of vis affect the quality of wear protection.

I asked Valvoline about the HT/HS Synpower 5W40.

Answer: This information is a company trade secret and will not be disclosed to third parties.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It's no big secrete, T6 is a Group III synthetic.

I thought it was Group III+?

Originally Posted By: Ponch
"Quattro pete" I did ask them about HT/HS and NOACK volatility specs, and their reply was "HT/HS and NOACK are set in API classifications, and shell rotella T6 meets them all"...

Which implies a max NOACK of 13%, and min HT/HS of 3.5, per http://www.apicj-4.org/performance_specs.html.

Would be nice for BITOG members if Shell would step up and publish at least as detailed a TDS as XOM does for Mobil 1 oils, but I guess we are a minority of their market.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It's no big secrete, T6 is a Group III synthetic.

Yep, and the MSDS/PDS seems to support this.

Hi,
QP - Typically such HDEOs will have a HTHS vis of at least 3.7cP and probably around 4cP. Heavy high speed diesel engine Manufacturers typically have a minimum of 3.7cP specified in their Approval protocols

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]Grp III+ is higher refined and allowed to be called "synthetic"

More than that. Group III+ is made from converting slack wax into a lubricating oil. It is completely pure.

Originally Posted By: WBoer

Answer: This information is a company trade secret and will not be disclosed to third parties.

I've always wondered what happened to the ex-Soviet bureaucrats...

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Originally Posted By: WBoer

I've always wondered what happened to the ex-Soviet bureaucrats...

No, they are in D.C. now.

I find this increasingly annoying as well. It would be nice to know what you are buying. But then they don't let us know what is in our food, water or where the food came from either so I guess it's just a sign of the times. I guess the rabble doesn't need to know anything.

I may just have to switch over to one of the costly synthetic boutique oils who WILL tell me what I'm paying for.

Get real. It is not what an oil is made from or even how. It's how it performs in the application you intend to use it.

Art

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
I may just have to switch over to one of the costly synthetic boutique oils who WILL tell me what I'm paying for.

"My UOAs aren't as good as with that junk Rotella, but at least I know what's in my oil."
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
I find this increasingly annoying as well. It would be nice to know what you are buying. But then they don't let us know what is in our food, water or where the food came from either so I guess it's just a sign of the times. I guess the rabble doesn't need to know anything.

I used to subscribe to that train of thought, but the fact that rotella syn returns similar numbers on UOA's to the boutique stuff (at least for standard OCIs) broke me away from that. Given that I have a warranty to worry about with my newer cummins and API licensing, and the fact that redline comes in at about 35 bucks a gallon these days, rotella syn or delvac 1 5w40 does me just fine. The only reason I would use redline these days is to give the crankcase and valvetrain a good cleaning, which the group v ester based oils are known to do. It's not like I'm turning the 6800-7000 rpms I was doing with my cobra, and based on my reading, I place the rotella xhvi base a step above your ordinary group III (III+ to be specific). If I were still driving my pos 6.blow ford with the heui, I might still be buying the boutique stuff.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
It's also no secret that it is an outstanding performer, and problably one of the better choices on the market, as defined on a performance/dollar ratio.

It does tend to shear a bit in some situations, but that's expected from a wide-grade (5w-40) group III with a heavy load of VIIs. But in no way have I seen that loss of vis affect the quality of wear protection.

yeah
thing is they are to secretive about how good or lack of good it is.
Along with Schaffer's that lies on the label of its products -- Shell just doesn't list the properties.
Both are junk
YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back