I emailed Redline Tech. Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked them some of the general questions we see about their product. I also asked them if I could quote their responce on this site. I wanted to make sure they reliazed that their response would be made public to oil geeks!! If they say yes I will cut and paste if not I will parrapharse.

Awesome, thanks John!
cheers.gif
I wish I could hurry up and rack up 4-5k so I can start running the Redline. I'm using my car as a test to see how well it does. My engine is extremely clean.

Lots of luck with getting them to spill the beans. They are pretty tight lipped about their stuff. We'll see what they say. Please post their response.

I recieved my order today of Redline. Came within two days. I think it shipped from Baltimore. I'm in a great location as Amsoil's Lancaster warehouse is 2hrs away and Baltimore 2hrs. Cool looking bottles.
grin.gif
It's sad when you start taking interest in oil bottles.
lol.gif

Buster

You are one sick puppy.

I can give you the name of my oil shrink, if you'd like
grin.gif

Tim

Here is my origanal email to Dave at Redline and his responce.

quote:

Hello, Me and several friends are woundering about the Redlines makeup. We are not competitors of yours or we would already know what is in the oil. We are not looking for exact numbers just some general information. I use your products and plug them alot on bobistheoilguy.com! Motul has gone on record as haveing some products that are 100% ester based and they claim to use a mix of TMP and TME. Mobile has gone on record claiming 25% ester base stock for Delvac-1(TME I belive). Castrol is relabeling their European SLX as a new formula 0W30 and it too appears to have a large proportion of esters based on it's -81F pour point.

Could you please give me some general information on the percentage of esters in your product. We have found that the esters in your product function as a strong cleaner of varnish and sludge. The cleaning action does not seem to hurt lubricty. What is your take on this and have you seen this as well. Some also seem to think that that your products are hard on lead,tin and copper. I think that they are just mis-interpreting the cleaning action as wear metal.

P.S. I would to qoute your responce to others on the bobistheoilguy board if this is alright. Their is alot of misinformation about your products and I am looking to set some of them straight.

Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software

Sorry we don't quote the percentage of component content in our products considering this to be proprietary.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Well nice to be greeted with such warm customer service. Lets hope their product stands up and out in busters car and mine. Who do they think they are proctecting themselfs from? If I was exxon mobile or Castrol etc... I would already know what was in their product!! All they are doing is driveing away sales and fueling the half truths and rumors.

Notice that I also gave him a chance to coment on the soft metal issue and he did not comment.

quote:

Buster

You are one sick puppy.

I can give you the name of my oil shrink, if you'd like

lol.gif
I"m just joking, I really don't care about the bottles.

Well, John, it's up to our UOA's now.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I recieved my order today of Redline. Came within two days. I think it shipped from Baltimore. I'm in a great location as Amsoil's Lancaster warehouse is 2hrs away and Baltimore 2hrs. Cool looking bottles.
grin.gif
It's sad when you start taking interest in oil bottles.
lol.gif

I know that the Redline bottles make great funnels.
grin.gif

Wow, I'm surprised to see such a cold and succinct reply from such a small company. Especially when they are a site supporter. We don't want to know the details, just a general overveiw of the oil. Not only that, Dave didn't even support or deny the statements made by John, which just leaves us hanging again.

Technically speaking, Redline isn't one of our site supporters, but MyOilShop is, they are one of Redline's distributors.

All oil companies need to take notice, if someone warns you ahead of time that they will be posting your response on BITOG.com, don't blow your chance to make a good impression! Redline blew their chance here, I have a lot less respect for them (as a company) than I did before.

It completely blows my mind when companies won't give out simple technical info because it's "proprietary" It's not like someone can go out and create a duplicate of this oil just because they reveal what their base oil is made out of. If someone has the means to create their own oil, they could just as easily do in depth analysis on that oil and figure out how it's made. Some customer emailing them about simple info isn't going to steal their secret recipe of eleven herbs and spices!!

So wise up tech departments, you're being watched!!!

[ September 24, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

But why not make them work for it instead of giving it to them for free?
I have no negative feelings about the response.
They have given FAR more info to me than ANY other oil company. And at least their info is accurate.
He gave out the moly ppm to someone recently. Amsoil won't even confirm Boron to Spector...

quote:

Sorry we don't quote the percentage of component content in our products considering this to be proprietary.

Besides the inflated price, this is one more reason I won't be buying Redline.

Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple and the others don't list it in their readily available product data sheets or MSDS's. But it appears to be about 80% PAO's with the remaining 20% being esters and the additive package.They all have zinc. None of them admit that they buy their base PAO's from a major oil company and it all comes out of the ground as petrochemical except for the esters. It safe to assume that Mobil uses Exxon/Mobil PAO's, and Chevron uses Chevron's. But the MLM oil salesmen could even be importing their base POA's.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:

Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple and the others don't list it in their readily available product data sheets or MSDS's. But it appears to be about 80% PAO's with the remaining 20% being esters and the additive package.They all have zinc. None of them admit that they buy their base PAO's from a major oil company and it all comes out of the ground as petrochemical except for the esters. It safe to assume that Mobil uses Exxon/Mobil PAO's, and Chevron uses Chevron's. But the MLM oil salesmen could even be importing their base POA's.

I think it's closer to the other way around - 80% polyolesters and 20% PAO's for Redline.
It would be nice if Redline gave out any and all information requested by the consumer, but on the other hand, I don't really have a big problem with the fact that they don't. Certainly not enough to stop me from buying it.
As to the "inflated price", polyolester basestock costs more than 3-times as much as PAO basestock. Based on that, I don't think Redline is inflating their prices any more than anyone else.
I've been using Redline on and off (mostly on) for the past 11 years with excellent results. I hope to have my UOA results back in a day or two and will post them when I do.

This is my opinion and only my opinion:
Why buy redline when you have similar products that many times outperforms the more than twice as expensive Redline?
Examples: Mobil 1, Schaeffer oil, the new GC, Amsoil, among others.
Redline just doesn't do it for me, espeacially with their nasty attitudes. The response JB got might as well have been: Buy it because I said so!"
Just my humble opinion.
Rick

Man, some of you are a bit too sensitive.

The response Redline gave was good from the standpoint that it is short, concise, and to the point. If I was selling a premium product I don't think I'd go around telling people the formulation of my product either. Even the MSDS sheets from the major manufacturers are becoming more cloak and dagger to hide the blends of oil in their products - listing an ever wider percentage band of products and multiple base oils.

I remember talking to Roy Howell of Redline some years ago, and he did tell me that Redline was formulated with predominantly polyolesters, but he would not give me the specific percentages.
Do any of the other oil companies give out their exact formulations? Why should they, really? The people who like and use a particular oil are likely to continue to use it as long as it performs well and those who seem to hold a grudge against a particular company aren't going to change their buying habits based on this type of information anyway. And, the vast majority of synthetic oil users don't care about the nitty gritty details anyway. Do you really think any oil company needs to pander to the whims and fancies of a few oil geeks like us? What would they gain from it? Nothing, most likely. Instead, we would more than likely over-analyze the information they provided to us and then criticise them for not formulating it the way we thought it should be formulated. And of course we all have degrees as lubrication Engineers, right?

well you gotta expect that from them , they cant give out info on oil composition. I am disappointed about no reply on the lead and soft metal question though.

Personally I have real concerns about their oil's high lead and soft metal count. I noticed an increase in my car when using Redline, and my car isnt very old. I dont buy the "cleaning up" argument anymore, thus a more specific answer from Redline would have been very helpful. I've seen quite a few high lead counts primarily in Honda engines that use Redline, dunno if there is something about Honda bearings that react with Redline, but Honda bearings are regarded as one of the best in the world. The lead additive theory doesnt seem to hold water either as I didnt get any lead readings in my virgin samples. I'd sure like to find out the reason for Redline's higher lead and soft metal count.

quote:

well you gotta expect that from them , they cant give out info on oil composition. I am disappointed about no reply on the lead and soft metal question though.

Personally I have real concerns about their oil's high lead and soft metal count. I noticed an increase in my car when using Redline, and my car isnt very old. I dont buy the "cleaning up" argument anymore, thus a more specific answer from Redline would have been very helpful. I've seen quite a few high lead counts primarily in Honda engines that use Redline, dunno if there is something about Honda bearings that react with Redline, but Honda bearings are regarded as one of the best in the world. The lead additive theory doesnt seem to hold water either as I didnt get any lead readings in my virgin samples. I'd sure like to find out the reason for Redline's higher lead and soft metal count.

I'm definitely intersted in trying it in my car which now has 134k miles on it and the engine is clean as could be. I've ran 3 treatments of Rx so we shall see. I do have concerns as well and if I show high wear inintially, I'm not going to run the rest of it. I'll sell it or give it away. Redline's website says that Redline results get better the more you use it in away that the blow by residuals interact with the chemistry of the oil to enhance the wear performing characteristics.
dunno.gif

[ September 24, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back