I don't know if this was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the FBI had very good photographs of the Boston terrorists, should they not identified them in house and traveled to their last known residence to see if they could capture/kill them?

Had they not made the photos public, these guys would not haved to panic and run, As i see it, a young policeman from MIT might still be alive.

I'm sure they knew releasing the photos was a calculated risk. At the time they don't know the scope of the risk to the public is so timely (talking hour by hour) capture is important

Quote:

Had they not made the photos public, these guys would not haved to panic and run

The assumption that "panic and run" was a given is monday morning QB'ing. Yeah, they could have just driven to Times Square...

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
After the FBI had very good photographs of the Boston terrorists, should they not identified them in house and traveled to their last known residence to see if they could capture/kill them?

Had they not made the photos public, these guys would not have to panic and run, As i see it, a young policeman from MIT might still be alive.

They didn't have good photographs until after they made the grainy photos from surveillance video of a store public. The clear photographs that show the faces of the 2 suspects were provided by people who sent it in.

It seems like at first the FBI had no idea who might of done it or would even be a suspect. They asked for help from the public and tips and photographs poured in. Largely the public and local police provided the info and found these guys.

Besides to be totally honest how do you take a picture of someone's face and just go "oh, perfect, I know exactly where they live, lets go there".

They had photos but no names. The names came in upon the release of the photos.
I don't think it's like you see on CSI or NCIS where they put a photo on screen and 10 seconds later you get a match.

I'd betchya your house that "they" do have such a system.

Makes all the publicly advertised facial recognition systems seem stupid, if they aren't a generation (or two) ahead.

Look at UK, you can be videod leaving houses, going anywhere.

My state in Oz, you can't smile for a driver's licence photo (like a passport photo). We no longer need inspection stickers, as the roadside cameras check inspection status automatically, and wake said Officer up.

Going to a pub or club in the capital cities, you have to scan your papers (licence or other)...to see if you have been refused service at another pub/club before gaininng entry...

sounds great, lets you know that you are safe in the pub, but join the dots...all the pubs don't have a private patron's network

I realize there are plate recognitions systems and possibly systems in a given state.

The city of St. Louis has a van that drives around looking for car tags that have lots of traffic tickets.

But I don't think the systems are all joined up yet here in the US. They have to do what we saw here, solicit all the footage and see if they can find the suspect(s).

Now on financial transactions, phone calls, internet, I think there is more capability.

However, I'm not convinced enough to fashion my tin-foil cap that they can find me based on cameras and my face.

Other things such as my car, using my credit card, my cell phone, yes. But they have to have a name to do this.

With only a photo, I think we'll still see what they did, if they don't get a hit in a short time, they'll put it out to the public hoping to get calls saying "I go to school with that guy" or "It looks like my neighbor _________."

Not sure I know yet. I'd like to think there are many other things I could resort to long before I have to go to that extreme.

I think when it gets to papers please for nearly everything I'll be worried.

I already don't give my SSN at the doctors office. Never have they asked me for the number, so I've never had to defend my choice to simply not provide the number.

I suppose if it gets to the point where I have to have a burner cell phone and generate random MAC addresses and use anonymous proxies when I want to use wifi or the internet, that it's time to totally get off the grid.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
What's your defining line that will have you fashioning your "tinfoil hat"...?

I just renewed my license and there are signs at the picture area saying that "Facial recognition is here! No glasses or hair in the face allowed." The sign was kind of like a comic with a line drawing of lady with a big smile on her face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back