I do my own haircut. How about you?

I always compliment my bald coworker on his fantastic haircut. I also tell him that the top three of the manliest men loved by women were bald. Number Three, Telly Savalas, Number Two, Yul Brynner, and my personal favorite Number One...

Elmer Fudd.

Should this be in the Humor subforum? Or is tangentially appropriate?

Yes for more than 15 years. I don't need the wife's help but I do it on my own. Saved thousands of $$$ over the last years.

This what I have,

1) Electric Hair Cutter. I used #3 Blue guard cut guide https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Col...XHFU-L06pSIMTzyMDzAaAhoHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
2) A scissor and comb
3) Small mirror
4) Big wall mirror.

The big mirror is a must and small mirror. I used both mirrors for reflection on finishing touches at the back of my head.

That's it.

The Advantages:
1) You don't need to drive and go to a mall hair salon or the barber shop.
2) You don't need to wait in line
3) You don't have to get upset because the hair stylist/barber cut too much of your hair or too little.
4) You don't have to wear that cloth cape that have been used so many times and your only alternative is to wear it :ROFLMAO:
5) No more barber's rubbing alcohol that's smells awful (it's just me) may not apply to others
6) No more tips.

The Disadvantages:
1) It takes a while to get used to cutting your own hair. By the 3rd time, you'll be an expert (this is my own personal recollection)

I started cutting my own hair about 15 years ago, as well.....
#2, then the sides get hit with a #1.

I started cutting my own in early 2020. As expected, was a devastating learning curve. Now, I can do a basic fade without looking in a mirror. If I mess it up, it is usually on the shortest parts of the cut which blends away within a day or two. The front/bangs I pull out with my fingers and cut with either a scissors or the lowest clipper guard to keep them a bit longer than the longest guard offers. I use a cordless rechargeable clipper. I start with 1 inch guard at the very top and work downward using smaller guards. The final is the taper guard.

Been clipping my own hair for years. Andis clipper with #50 blade. Right down to the scalp. For years I used to have a full head of hair....but it was always a chore taking care of it. Decided one day I'd had enough. No more costly haircuts....no more nasty hair products.

Does anyone remember the comb you could buy with a razor blade inside it... You just combed your hair and it would thin it out...Worked pretty good once you learned how to use it...

Barbers used to be also "surgeons." Once they performed tooth extractions, lanced boils, set broken bones, and provided other healthscare services. You always had to hope he wouldn't resort to a shortcut. In the Old West, the town barber was sometimes also the undertaker.

Thinking of performing my own knee replacement next year. Save a couple bucks on the surgeon. I got a Haynes manual for it and YouTube so I should be good to go.
I'll do it for half of what the Dr. charges. !

Yes for more than 15 years. I don't need the wife's help but I do it on my own. Saved thousands of $$$ over the last years.

This what I have,

1) Electric Hair Cutter. I used #3 Blue guard cut guide https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Col...XHFU-L06pSIMTzyMDzAaAhoHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
2) A scissor and comb
3) Small mirror
4) Big wall mirror.

The big mirror is a must and small mirror. I used both mirrors for reflection on finishing touches at the back of my head.

That's it.

The Advantages:
1) You don't need to drive and go to a mall hair salon or the barber shop.
2) You don't need to wait in line
3) You don't have to get upset because the hair stylist/barber cut too much of your hair or too little.
4) You don't have to wear that cloth cape that have been used so many times and your only alternative is to wear it :ROFLMAO:
5) No more barber's rubbing alcohol that's smells awful (it's just me) may not apply to others
6) No more tips.

The Disadvantages:
1) It takes a while to get used to cutting your own hair. By the 3rd time, you'll be an expert (this is my own personal recollection)
Pics

Use my clippers with a #3 all over and then a #2 for the sides and back. Beard gets trimmed with the #3 at each hair cut, once a month.

Does anyone remember the comb you could buy with a razor blade inside it... You just combed your hair and it would thin it out...Worked pretty good once you learned how to use it...
Oh my, do I. I believe it was my very first middle school dance - Turn About, or something like that - the girl asks the guy. My mom had to drive us (Geez).

Hours before the dance, my mom was trimming my hair with one of those contraptions and all of a sudden I hear "uh, oh". She gouged a big bare spot on the back of my head. I think shoe polish was involved in the cover up.
trimmere%2Bcomb.jpg

Circa 1970 for 70 cents. Asking price on Ebay is $99.00! Ronco had their own version.

Oh my, do I. I believe it was my very first middle school dance - Turn About, or something like that - the girl asks the guy. My mom had to drive us (Geez).

Hours before the dance, my mom was trimming my hair with one of those contraptions and all of a sudden I hear "uh, oh". She gouged a big bare spot on the back of my head. I think shoe polish was involved in the cover up.
trimmere%2Bcomb.jpg

Circa 1970 for 70 cents. Asking price on Ebay is $99.00! Ronco had their own version.
"Uh-oh"

Back