I cant belive it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a recall done on my RS Warrior and picked it up yesterday they had to drain the oil to do the oil recall. I instantly noticed a difference in shifting like BIG time. Going through the gears is faster smoother and slicker and I mean like night and day.

Now I been on the Rotella T wagon for about 6 years now, I use it in every power sports equiptment I own. I have also used Valvoline motorcycle, Yamalube and Delo. I been a huge supporter of the HDEO cause and been running Rotella T so long, now I cant belive how my clunky loud shifting is now smooth and buttery.

I call the tech there and he said they use bulk Honda GN4. I know on paper this oil is very mediocre. If I hand'nt experienced this myself I would not have believed it. I am at a crossroads now. Im tempted to try it in my other bikes but paying $6+ a quart for dino "motorcycle" oil with a so so add packages seems like reverse economy to me. Anyway that is my 2 bits I though I would share.

But did they work on anything gearbox or clutch related that might explain the better shifting besides the oil?

Nothing, that I know of. The first think I looked at was the free play in the clutch and was the same as before it went in. The recall was not on the clucth or actual gears but rather a clip that held some electronics on the inside.

Sometimes car oils just don't work well with wet clutches found in bikes.Golden Spectro makes some fine blends that really promote smooth shifting by reducing parasitic clutch plate drag when shifting (sometimes the case with automotive oils),great engine protection also.

Good thread. If you're willing to experiment, try dumping the GN4 and put some Rotella in the sump, and see if that makes it like before.

I run Rotella 15W40 in my clutch. The bike shifts like butter. However, it is sensitive to how much is in there. Any chance they changed the oil around the clutch filling it to a different level?

You say "they had to drain the oil to do the oil recall".

Oil recall??

Then you said it was for a clip to hold some electronics...

If the recall was on the clip, why would they change the oil?

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
You say "they had to drain the oil to do the oil recall".

Oil recall??

Then you said it was for a clip to hold some electronics...

If the recall was on the clip, why would they change the oil?

because they have to pull the crank case to get to it...CPS pickup sensor

Last edited:
Maybe it is a matter of viscosity? What viscostiy was the GN4? Doesn't it come in different viscosities, 10W30, 10W40, 20W50 etc.? What HDEO were you using 15W40? Maybe the HD's have higher moly and that is affecting the clutch and shifting
21.gif
?

Last edited:
Maybe they made a clutch adjustment while they had the engine opened up?

I'm surprised they changed the oil. I'd say put the Rotella back in with the next oil change to see if there's a difference.

They had to pull the left side engine/clutch cover (wet)to access the Crankshaft Position Sensor which is attached to the inside of the said cover. The clutch actuator (lifter) is in this cover. Time will tell if you try your Rotella again.

My experience has been that HDEO has too much drag on the clucth for smooth gear changes. I know it's not popular around these parts, but I always "splurge" on moto oil.

UPDATE-

After 200 miles the shifting is not as buttery and notchier (is that a word) but is is still better than with Rotella T. I will try Delvac 1300 on my next oci

Try the Rotella T (T6) 5W-40 synthetic. I personally think it will give you better results than the 15W-40 and the 5W-40 is also JASO approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back