I can't be the first.. Why won't it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So both the hydraulic line and grease hose fittings are judged a no-go then?

Just seems counter-intuitive to me..

I will keep searching for something with the right temp ratings.. Maybe I can find an online venue that has decent prices... I wasn't exactly impressed with NAPA here..

I went on line too ..and I was surprised at all the most commonly used hose is rated @ 212. There's some SAE 102X something or other spec.

I found it hard to believe, actually. I've seen 300F hose several times (handled it, etc.) ..yet I can't find the stuff.
dunno.gif
confused.gif

There's plenty on line ($$$)

Pro-Lite

md_lucky_13

Just go to NAPA and ask for "Transmission Return Line Hose". It will have SAE J1019 on it. It's good for 400psi and SURELY can withstand 212F. It's a Gates product.

Medium Pressure Hydraulic Hose

(G1) C1T 1 Wire Braid Hose

Fleet Medium Pressure Hose

For medium pressure hydraulic oil lines. Approved for Marine Applications. (SAEJ1942)

• Meets DIN 20022 1SN – 63 to 250 bar working pressure.
• Meets or exceeds SAE 100R1AT.
• 925 to 3,625 psi working pressures.
• Synthetic elastomer tube with NBR cover.
• One high tensile steel wire braid.
• Sizes 3/16" through 11/4" I.D.
• No skiving required.
• Temperature rating -40°F to 212°F.

Uses Gates Power Crimp® and MegaCrimp™ Couplings and field attachable couplings.

C5C Hose
For medium pressure hydraulic petroleum-base oil lines in many applications.

• Meets or exceeds SAE 100R5, SAE J1402 Type AII and DOT FMVSS 106-74 Type AII.
• 350 to 3,000 psi working pressure.
• One high tensile carbon steel wire braid over polyester braid.
• Nitrile tube.
• Textile braid cover.
• Sizes 3/16" through 23/8" I.D.
• Temperature range -40°F to 212°F (hydraulics). -40°F to 300°F for Fleet Applications.

Uses C5 type field attachable and permanent (thru -12 size) couplings.

C5D Hose
For petroleum base or phosphate ester fluids. Recommended for diesel engine flexlines.

• Meets or exceeds SAE J1402 Type AII, SAE J1019 and DOT FMVSS 106-74 Type AII.
• 400 to 1,500 psi working pressure.
• One high tensile steel wire braid over polyester braid.
• CPE tube.
• Sizes 3/16" through 7/8" I.D.
• Green braided textile covers for easy identification.
• Temperature range –40°C to +149°C (–40°F to +300°F).

Uses C5 style field attachable couplings.

C5E Hose
For air brake hose, power steering, fuel filter, engine and transmission coolant lines and hot +149°C (+300°F) lube lines. Recommended for diesel engine flexlines.

• Meets DOT FMVSS 106-74 Type AI and SAE J1019 hot oil circulation test.
• 300 to 1,500 psi working pressure.
• One braid high tensile carbon steel wire over polyester braid.
• Textile braid impregnated with rubber on black cover.
• Nitrile tube.
• Sizes 3/16" through 11/8" I.D.

Uses C5E type field attachable or permanent couplings.

Gates

The stuff is cheap.

Dang, your a day late and I'm a dollar short.

I actually bought some fuel injection line that was supposed to be rated to unheard of numbers.

One of the things that made me chose the fuel injection line was my (unprobable?) concern about possibly using bio-diesel.

I know that only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of fuel can get into the oil, but I know a lot of rubber hoses are not bio-diesel friendly.

I may go check into it and see if the price is right..

This is what I ended up with:

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.nsf/Product_Fuel_Injection_Hose?OpenForm

I got the bracket back from the welding shop today (One of the crappy things about leaving home for college is leaving behind a welder and all the tools I needed to build it myself.
frown.gif
(
banghead.gif
)

I'm supposed to get the oil cap on Thursday..

Then, I'm going to take pictures of everything that I have, and post the part # and price on my website.. I will take pictures of a step-by-step of how to build it, and then let the nay-saying attacks begin.
wink.gif

Oil cap came in today.

Another FYI:

If you have ever been wandering aimlessly through a national car-parts store (something I do frequently) then you may have noticed "Spectra" engine dress kits.

These kits allow you to add a braided hose look to all of your hoses under the hood.

However, they set you back around $40-$50.

The trick is this: If you are building a similar system and have 1/4 hose, ask them to look up the part numbers in their book for EXTRA fuel hose. You can order the cover in 4, 6, or 10 foot lengths, and you do not have to buy the entire kit.

I ordered mine for $10.46, and I will be putting the covers on the hose before I install it. Not so much for the "custom" look, but because I like the idea of having something more durable holding my oil in.

Just another cheap-trick for a cheap-filter system.
wink.gif

Pictures are coming.. I should have time to build the system on Monday or so.. Thank *** thanksgiving is here.

It is "done!"

Not "finished."

Shmucks Auto ordered me the incorrect part. So, I'm waiting on the stainless braided hose cover.. it will be in after Thanksgiving.

Then I have to tear the system back apart and put the cover on. After that, I'm FINISHED.

I wish I could post some pictures.
frown.gif

Of course, this project went WAY over budget. My initial goals were around $50.. Which, truth be told, is very doable if you do not have to pay someone to build you a battery tie-down, and if you do not buy the uber-expensive-but-awfully-pretty oil cap. That would have knocked another $85 off my finished price.

Finished Price? $115.

I'm working on a complete how-to and write up for another website. When I finish, I will be sure to provide a link: it will have all the pictures and all that good stuff!

They did it again...

Not very impressed..

They ordered the incorrect part.

me: This is what you ordered?

"yeah, thats the part."

no it isn't

"yeah, thats the one right there."

no, this isn't it. This is for vacuum line. I need the one for fuel line... remember, oil cooler line?

"Oh. I thought you wanted vacuum line cover."

You sold me the hose man....

Long, Long pause...

So I picked up the book, CIRCLED the correct part number, and now I continue to wait. I think I'm going to ask the manager to pay for freight or something.. Once is bad, twice is just unacceptable.. I wish I had another source.
frown.gif

Oh ..you run into this stuff too? Have you heard, "Why in the eff would you want to do that?" yet?? Sooner or later you will. I had one of my bracket racer non-pals comment on my gauges. I said it was for testing purposes. He asks, "For WHO?" ..I said, "Myself". He smiles one of those smiles. I then asked him who he wrenches for on the race car. Penske? Rouche? Pennzoil? ..and who does Scott (the driver and owner) drive for? Himself??

Some just will never understand.
dunno.gif

Well, that last post of mine was November 25th.

Today is December 7th.

I still do not have the correct parts.

The manager and I are talking.

That's amazing. I saw the NAPA rep at my buddies shop when someone was looking for hose (I foget the member) and I asked if he had trans return line hose in various sizes since the hydraulic shop he (the other member) was having his hoses made up at was going to use hose rated @ 212F. He nodded and said "Oh ..sure ..rolls of it". Proper temp/pressure rating and everything (my buddy had some sitting in his odd parts area). Beyond that, excluding the Permacool mount ..everything you need is available at The Home Depot if you want to buy it semi-discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back