I call -SHENANIGANS- on WalMart's Oil Section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just there. I have a Report:

(FWIW: Indianapolis, Indiana.. Washington St.)

1) NO 20W-50.. AT ALL. They Did have 10W-40, Though.

2) SAVINGS ALERT
SAVINGS ALERT

-- QUAKER STATE FULL SYNTHETIC "HORSEPOWER" Oil = $5 for 5 QUARTS!!!- -$5 FOR 5 QUARTS!- 5W-30 and 10W-30 .. I bought one. (Oil pressure too high. Might be messign up Engine; i will not have it. Jaguar Relief = 65Psi; mine on Highway = 70=75Psi.. Hopefully "Up till now" i am/was OK. Thinner Oil will be utilized. Also doing some Cleaning with MMO and Full Synthetic.. Short OCI.. is why i departed from Valvoline this ONE TIME!! WEhich brings me to my Next Report:)

3) VALVOLINE MAXLIFE FULL SYNTHETIC = $4 a QUART!! On Clearance. 5W-30.

4) I ONLY saw Valvoline SynPower as Full Synthetic from them.. Have they stopped making "MaxLifeFull Synthetic" due to Confusion and Competition with "MaxLife Full Synthetic?" (They both have same Silver COntainers.)

This is my report, and my new Oil Strategy, to avoid Grenading Perfectly GOod Engine, im sure it will take the High PSi abuse and WELCOME the Cleaning and Lighter Oil im feeding it....

Wow, that's a good deal! $5 for 5 quarts of name-brand syn!

It's amazing what one store has on clearance that another does not.

Northside Wal-Mart had the same deal here on the Quaker State Synthetic 5 quart jugs and I got enough 5W20 for a few years for both of our vehicles.

Can't beat it for a Dollar a quart.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I'd would have bought it all....

If it is there on Thursday, i plan on buying all 20 Quarts Full Synthetic Max Life ($80, sounds liek they Discontinued it, lets discuss this more) and MAYBE the Q "HORSEPOWER" Synthetic.

It is all about Pay Day....

It's unethical and been discussed before but if you find a killer deal like that at Walmart A and return it at Walmart B (not running a sale) without a receipt, you'll make money. Just say your girlfriend bought the wrong grade.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's unethical and been discussed before but if you find a killer deal like that at Walmart A and return it at Walmart B (not running a sale) without a receipt, you'll make money. Just say your girlfriend bought the wrong grade.

Excellent idea, however if I buy it, it will be used.

Click to reveal..

Isn't that, ummmmm, fraud?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Click to reveal..

54.gif

My Biggest fear would be of getting Caught.. Although there WOUDL be $13 to be made.

I also dont know why its not ALL Wal-Marts.. *Hint: Me-thinks Walmart has thoguht of this. :D

Ill be using the "Quaker State Clearance Synthetic 10W-30" (At $5 for 5 QUARTS!!0 along with MMO and a Nice, Short OCI (1000 miles i think) to "Clean" my Engine.. Remaining 3 Quarts is Clearance "Valvoline FulL Synthetic MaxLife 5W-30" Clearance.

In the Jag... This will make my Oil Gauge happy. (Pressure-wise.) :D

And Engine Clean....

And -PERILS- of using "Thin Oil" like 7.5W-30 in the Jag 4.2? Its ... unique.. Will it KILL it???? or wwill it LIKE it?

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
Originally Posted By: RWEST
Click to reveal..

54.gif

My Biggest fear would be of getting Caught.. Although there WOUDL be $13 to be made.

I also dont know why its not ALL Wal-Marts.. *Hint: Me-thinks Walmart has thoguht of this. :D

Ill be using the "Quaker State Clearance Synthetic 10W-30" (At $5 for 5 QUARTS!!0 along with MMO and a Nice, Short OCI (1000 miles i think) to "Clean" my Engine.. Remaining 3 Quarts is Clearance "Valvoline FulL Synthetic MaxLife 5W-30" Clearance.

In the Jag... This will make my Oil Gauge happy. (Pressure-wise.) :D

And Engine Clean....

And -PERILS- of using "Thin Oil" like 7.5W-30 in the Jag 4.2? Its ... unique.. Will it KILL it???? or wwill it LIKE it?

What is up with you and oil pressure?

Quote:

Besides my Jaguar's Oil pressure, which IS Up.. It scares the [censored] out of me.

Why?

1) Since my Oil Change, i dont KNOW if my Engine is getting ANY Oil in the Upper Cylinders and is actually experiencing Oil Starvation.. due to Pressure beign Higher than Relief.

So the ONLY thing stopping me from "Trying 10W-30 in the Jaguar" was that people say "It was made for 20W-50." But even at 10W-40, its 10PSI higher than the Relief valve and im NOT gonna destroy the car..

Im digging -DEEP- in my Pockets and trying 10W-30.. i simply wonder if puttign 10W-30 in the 85 Jag 4.2 Inline-6 that everyone says "Was designed to use 20W-50" will mess it up.. but if my oil Pressure is Happy then my Engine is happy, end of Story, right?

SSo, Oil Pressure is my BIG concern (Should be Fuel Filter ill check that out too somehow) so my car doesnt go
15.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Besides my Jaguar's Oil pressure, which IS Up.. It scares the [censored] out of me.

Why?

1) Since my Oil Change, i dont KNOW if my Engine is getting ANY Oil in the Upper Cylinders and is actually experiencing Oil Starvation.. due to Pressure beign Higher than Relief.

So the ONLY thing stopping me from "Trying 10W-30 in the Jaguar" was that people say "It was made for 20W-50." But even at 10W-40, its 10PSI higher than the Relief valve and im NOT gonna destroy the car..

Im digging -DEEP- in my Pockets and trying 10W-30.. i simply wonder if puttign 10W-30 in the 85 Jag 4.2 Inline-6 that everyone says "Was designed to use 20W-50" will mess it up.. but if my oil Pressure is Happy then my Engine is happy, end of Story, right?

SSo, Oil Pressure is my BIG concern (Should be Fuel Filter ill check that out too somehow) so my car doesnt go
15.gif

If your car specs 20W50 per fsm,I`d stick with that. Factory oil pressure guages are rarely even close to accurate and sending untits are notorius for going bad and giving false readings,especially in a 20+ year old car.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Quote:

Why?

15.gif

If your car specs 20W50 per fsm,I`d stick with that. Factory oil pressure guages are rarely even close to accurate and sending untits are notorius for going bad and giving false readings,especially in a 20+ year old car.

I really hope it is ok to
18.gif
this... but How, exactly, can a Dash gauge be "Not even Close to Accurate?"

Ill give the Thin stuff a shot My uderstanding is that anything "10Psi for every 1000RPMs of Engine Operation OR A LITTLE BUT HIGHER" is OK because that is enough for the Oil Film a 5W-30 can provide to NOT break down, and maintain its "Lubricating 30-weight Film_ and not Splash and do Nothing?

If 5W-30 makes my Gauge happy i may forget about 5W-50 Altogether.. My Engine Redlines at 5000RPM (Again, like my BMW) and Im seeing Pressures of 75+ PSi.
With the Old, Dead, More than ONE YEAR OLD Oil it was 40-45 PSI driving down Road, 20 or lower at Hot Idle.. New Oil (i put 10W-40 in) its ALWAYS up high now, so there is no guarantee how much is FLowing and where.. so i may have been giving the Engine some Abuse.

And YES this Flies in the Face of Jag saying "Use 20W-50" but i feel i should use Oil pressure as an Indication of how my Engine is Lubricating.. Flow is more imoortant than Pressure, and with High Pressure there is Less FLow (Garden Hose Example.)

Im wondering if 40PSI (or a little more.. 50PSi, MAYBE 60Psi) is enough to keep the FILM a Film, and let the Oil do its job. I dont see why it cant be Trusted.. i feel it is trying to tell me something.

Thanks......

Last edited:
If you want to get a true reading of your oil pressure get an aftermarket gauge. My car's gauge is all over the place sometimes. Back when I had my Z31 the gauge would be in the middle at idle then move down to 0psi once you started driving it :p

You need to put a photo over your oil pressure gauge and not worry about it. If the engine sounds good, runs well, and doesnt make wierd noises, you are worrying about nothing (and your gauge is probably faulty too)

OEM oil pressure gauges are not to be taken at gospel, more like a rough interpretation, especially on British and Italian makes.

I have seen more than a few Alfa's's that show 0 psi on the dash gauge at hot idle, but will show 11 psi when a mechanical gauge is hooked up.

So I would not trust a OEM gauge 100% for psi readings. Now if it suddenly goes to 0, then I would worry. Too high of readings is nothing to worry about, you are running a correct grade of oil. Stop worrying about what is wrong with your oil pressure when you have oil pressure. Your engine's oiling system is fine and functioning properly. Stop worrying about relief pressures and valvetrain lubrication, if the engine is quiet, all is ok.

Millions of vehicles in cold weather run in relief bypass during extreme cold weather, and these millions of vehicles start and run day after day with out issue.

Jaguar engines have always been pretty durable, leaky, but durable. If I were you, I would stop staring at the oil pressure gauge and be going through every electrical connection on the car. . As with most older cars, connections and grounds are can be a constant source of frustration, especially in the rain. If you are that worried about oil pressure, have a quality mechanical gauge hooked up

Bypass is not like blowing the safety plug on a pressure cooker. A little oil leaks out a spring loaded whatsamajigger then the rest goes on to the heads and wherever. If you're worried open your oil cap or yank out the PCV while the car is idling and you'll get a nice oil shower.

Aside from the faulty assumption about your pressure gauge your philosophy is close to that of AEHaas who runs much thinner than recommended oil in his exotic sports cars. However, until you get a serious handle on your car's intricacies, stick with the stock grade oil and sort out everything else that's flaking out with it!

I did some poking around on Jag stuff and found out this.

There are two styles of sending units.

The old style which shows pressure gradients and the new style which is basically an idiot light where the gauge is in the middle or at 0. Neither one is going to be that accurate, in fact the old style is known for being horribly inaccurate. Both are around $40 and readily available. If you are still that worried about your oil pressure, put in a new sending unit, or hook up a quality mechanical gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back