I bought a really nice powerful easy to use corded Hedge Trimmer

My gasoline powered hedge trimmer was a beast that could cut through old growth, and thick branches, but the fumes, noise, aggravation with the carb, sparkplug changing, fuel mixing, and hard starts were a royal pain, and that beast was heavy, and only cut on one side of the blade. I finally got fed up with it and a couple of years ago decided to not put the time into getting it to run again and scrapped it.

The 18 inch corded hedge trimmer I have does not have much power, and basically can only cut the fresh green growth, and if I had too many things going on and did not get to cutting the hedges for a long time then the older growth was too hard to cut, and the hedges ended up getting taller and wider. And the 18 inch blade it has does not have as much reach as I want.

After a while I was wishing I had kept the old gas one around and still had it to resurrect, because the lack of ability of the wimpy electric ended up with me having to let some areas grow more than I would have if I had the power of the old gas one to cut the thicker branches.

I was looking for a powerful electric 24 inch hedge trimmer and watched a few YouTube videos, and really was leery of anything with a battery because of the reduction of usable time per charge with age, and life of battery limits.

I found an add for a corded 24 inch with cutting on both sides of the blade. The few available reviews and videos on it were positive so I bought one. It is a:

"Black & Decker Rotating Handle Hedge Trimmer. Part no. HH2455"

that I bought on Amazon for $61.99 + $3.72 tax = $65.71 total including free slow delivery.

When it arrived the package was beat up. They did not ship it in an additional box. Just the box Black & Decker sold it in, and that box was very small for the section the blade was in. I could see that the box was seriously damaged before I even opened it. And the when I opened it the blade had 2 bends in it. I thought of send it back, but decided to try to straighten the blade first. It ended up being very easy to straighten, and when I put it next to a very straight piece of metal I had it was very straight. Then I though that if it bent back to straight so easy maybe it was mad with too thin metal and would not hold up in use.

This hedge trimmer has a back handle that can quickly be rotated to allow you to use the trimmer to cut vertical left or right handed. And the teeth are big enough to cut thick branches the size of the first joint on your little finger with a couple of strokes. It is powerful and light weight for a 24 inch cutter, and well balanced, including a design that balances out vibration from the blades. And the blades have a nice design that includes a part that sticks out and is not sharpened but is built thick and strong enough to withstand hitting things without getting damaged which comes in handy when cutting shrubs near objects such as handrails and brick work.

The only thing I do not like about this trimmer is that the front fixed non rotating handle near the blade comes unattached in the box, and when you attach it the screws they give you to secure it are ( in my opinion ) too skinny and small for something that you want to get many years of use from. I was temped to use some high strength very good plastic epoxy glue such as Loctite E-20HP to really secure the handle, but that would mean I would have to cut the handle if I ever wanted to take it apart for future maintnce. So I passed on that idea for now.

I oiled up the blade very well, with an old antique oil can I have that has some of the last of my old Castrol GC 0W-30 in it, and as suggested on a YouTube video also oil the bade about every 15 minutes of use, and when done cutting.

The wimpy handle screws for the front handle held up fine, and even though that handle looked like it could of been more securely attached by those screws, was not any problem in use. That handle does sit in recesses where it attaches to the cutter, that help secure it.

The ability of the back handle to rotate is an extremely nice and very underrated feature. In a matter of a few seconds you can push the button and rotate it and lock it in a different orientation to go from horizontal cutter to vertical cutter, or back to horizontal. And it really makes using it for those two different cuts very easy for each of them. It also has locks in half way between horizontal and vertical for cutting on a 45 degree angle but I have no use for that angle.

This trimmer is not as noisy as my wimpy 18 inch cored one. And a heck of a lot more powerful and has much more reach with the 24 inch blade. It will cut through almost anything. Next to waving a laser around this thing is a very nice cutting tool to use.

It basically can cut anything my old gas trimmer could cut, is quiet compared to the old one. Is lighter, and the rotating back handle makes using it for vertical cuts a lot easier than the old gas one. I was able to cut through old thick hedges with no problem at all.

This thing is an easy to use cutting beast with cutting teeth on both sides of the blade. I am glad I bought it, and recommend it to anyone looking for a good powerful cored hedge trimmer.

I let two of my neighbors who are into keeping there front yards nice hold it, and the one who weighs about 90 Lbs. said it is too much for her to handle. But the one weights about 135 Lbs. said she liked it, and was able to use the rotating back handle with no problem.

So this trimmer may be a little too much for a light weight person. Personally I find it a nice powerful cutter that is easy to use.

If you are going to get one, you might want to pay a few bucks more for it at a big box store to avoid getting one with a bent blade from shipping. But mine did straighten out fine, and is staying straight with use.

I check all the blade bolts and nuts for becoming loose after every use. So far only one seamed slightly loose and I tightened it back up about an 1/8 of a turn.

Oil the blade with anything you have handy before every use ( 0W - 20 or 30, or 5W- 20 or 30 ), and after about every 15 minute of use, and before storage, and this Hedge Trimmer should be good for many years of good cutting.

I highly recommend one.

Last edited:
NO cords for me. I bought The Worx with two rechargeable batteries. It's a highly rated edger on Amazon and does a great job. I can weed wack/edge both my front and back yard on one battery (little less than a 1/4 acre). It has a swinging head with a knob and a set of wheels so you can use it for both applications of weed wacking and edging.

Worx WG170 GT Revolution $115.00 with taxes.

I have the dewalt 20v cordless hedge trimmer. I already have about 5 of the batteries so not worried about batteries.

Runs for long time on 5ah battery LOVE NO CORDS. cords are annoying, easy to slice, and trip.

I use fluidfilm for lubication and to clean the blades up.. if they are esp. crusty I hose it down with wd-40 and run it to clean off the blades.. then a couple sprays of fluidfilm.

PS. it even says hedge trimmer use on the can.

I have the dewalt 20v cordless hedge trimmer. I already have about 5 of the batteries so not worried about batteries.

Runs for long time on 5ah battery LOVE NO CORDS. cords are annoying, easy to slice, and trip.

I use fluidfilm for lubication and to clean the blades up.. if they are esp. crusty I hose it down with wd-40 and run it to clean off the blades.. then a couple sprays of fluidfilm.

PS. it even says hedge trimmer use on the can.

+1 on this.

Nice choice, OP. While cordless is nice, the runtime is limited. Corded if not inconvenient for you, let’s you run indefinitely, no obsolescence, no wasted tools because your battery went bad.

For one of my properties that barely needs any upkeep, I’m going to buy a corded blower. Sure, I have a gas and an electric battery blower. But since I can run an extension cord and do everything I need, it’s a best bet. So it’s a best option to go corded… as much as I love IC engines…

Good luck with yours!

This post cracked me up. Just last Sunday I was trimming the hedges, and for the first time in about 30 years I cut the cord. But being the diligent boy scout that I am, I ran or rather moseyed back to the garage and got my Harbor freight butt splice kit ,and redid the damage in record time. I had one weed wacker from Black and Decker that was battery powered. I lost one of the batteries and the other stopped holding a charge. I could have bought a complete new weed wacker for what they wanted for the batteries. That's how they get you. If you don't have a big property or job to do, go with the electric stuff . It's cheaper to buy and will last a long time for the money.,,,

I have a 40 year old B&D corded double edged hedge trimmer thats a beast. Still works great and yes, I’ve cut the extension cord as well! :rolleyes:

I had a corded Black & Decker several years ago. I got aggressive trimming a long hedge, and cut the cord right off that sucker. You would think it was cut with a cable cutter it was so clean. I replaced the extension cord, and went with gas.... Never looked back.

My gasoline powered hedge trimmer was a beast that could cut through old growth, and thick branches, but the fumes, noise, aggravation with the carb, sparkplug changing, fuel mixing, and hard starts were a royal pain, and that beast was heavy, and only cut on one side of the blade. I finally got fed up with it and a couple of years ago decided to not put the time into getting it to run again and scrapped it.

The 18 inch corded hedge trimmer I have does not have much power, and basically can only cut the fresh green growth, and if I had too many things going on and did not get to cutting the hedges for a long time then the older growth was too hard to cut, and the hedges ended up getting taller and wider. And the 18 inch blade it has does not have as much reach as I want.

After a while I was wishing I had kept the old gas one around and still had it to resurrect, because the lack of ability of the wimpy electric ended up with me having to let some areas grow more than I would have if I had the power of the old gas one to cut the thicker branches.

I was looking for a powerful electric 24 inch hedge trimmer and watched a few YouTube videos, and really was leery of anything with a battery because of the reduction of usable time per charge with age, and life of battery limits.

I found an add for a corded 24 inch with cutting on both sides of the blade. The few available reviews and videos on it were positive so I bought one. It is a:

that I bought on Amazon for $61.99 + $3.72 tax = $65.71 total including free slow delivery.

When it arrived the package was beat up. They did not ship it in an additional box. Just the box Black & Decker sold it in, and that box was very small for the section the blade was in. I could see that the box was seriously damaged before I even opened it. And the when I opened it the blade had 2 bends in it. I thought of send it back, but decided to try to straighten the blade first. It ended up being very easy to straighten, and when I put it next to a very straight piece of metal I had it was very straight. Then I though that if it bent back to straight so easy maybe it was mad with too thin metal and would not hold up in use.

This hedge trimmer has a back handle that can quickly be rotated to allow you to use the trimmer to cut vertical left or right handed. And the teeth are big enough to cut thick branches the size of the first joint on your little finger with a couple of strokes. It is powerful and light weight for a 24 inch cutter, and well balanced, including a design that balances out vibration from the blades. And the blades have a nice design that includes a part that sticks out and is not sharpened but is built thick and strong enough to withstand hitting things without getting damaged which comes in handy when cutting shrubs near objects such as handrails and brick work.

The only thing I do not like about this trimmer is that the front fixed non rotating handle near the blade comes unattached in the box, and when you attach it the screws they give you to secure it are ( in my opinion ) too skinny and small for something that you want to get many years of use from. I was temped to use some high strength very good plastic epoxy glue such as Loctite E-20HP to really secure the handle, but that would mean I would have to cut the handle if I ever wanted to take it apart for future maintnce. So I passed on that idea for now.

I oiled up the blade very well, with an old antique oil can I have that has some of the last of my old Castrol GC 0W-30 in it, and as suggested on a YouTube video also oil the bade about every 15 minutes of use, and when done cutting.

The wimpy handle screws for the front handle held up fine, and even though that handle looked like it could of been more securely attached by those screws, was not any problem in use. That handle does sit in recesses where it attaches to the cutter, that help secure it.

The ability of the back handle to rotate is an extremely nice and very underrated feature. In a matter of a few seconds you can push the button and rotate it and lock it in a different orientation to go from horizontal cutter to vertical cutter, or back to horizontal. And it really makes using it for those two different cuts very easy for each of them. It also has locks in half way between horizontal and vertical for cutting on a 45 degree angle but I have no use for that angle.

This trimmer is not as noisy as my wimpy 18 inch cored one. And a heck of a lot more powerful and has much more reach with the 24 inch blade. It will cut through almost anything. Next to waving a laser around this thing is a very nice cutting tool to use.

It basically can cut anything my old gas trimmer could cut, is quiet compared to the old one. Is lighter, and the rotating back handle makes using it for vertical cuts a lot easier than the old gas one. I was able to cut through old thick hedges with no problem at all.

This thing is an easy to use cutting beast with cutting teeth on both sides of the blade. I am glad I bought it, and recommend it to anyone looking for a good powerful cored hedge trimmer.

I let two of my neighbors who are into keeping there front yards nice hold it, and the one who weighs about 90 Lbs. said it is too much for her to handle. But the one weights about 135 Lbs. said she liked it, and was able to use the rotating back handle with no problem.

So this trimmer may be a little too much for a light weight person. Personally I find it a nice powerful cutter that is easy to use.

If you are going to get one, you might want to pay a few bucks more for it at a big box store to avoid getting one with a bent blade from shipping. But mine did straighten out fine, and is staying straight with use.

I check all the blade bolts and nuts for becoming loose after every use. So far only one seamed slightly loose and I tightened it back up about an 1/8 of a turn.

Oil the blade with anything you have handy before every use ( 0W - 20 or 30, or 5W- 20 or 30 ), and after about every 15 minute of use, and before storage, and this Hedge Trimmer should be good for many years of good cutting.

I highly recommend one.

Let me know when you cut the extension cord for the first time!

My dad bought a corded trimmer, but dislike it as the cord doesn't want to stay attached. I accidentally cut the cord in half.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1

I highly recommend one.
Im a big fan of corded tools over cordless ones because the is no comparison in terms of power and no batteries to deal with. My mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, circular saw, jig saw, drill, die grinder and table saw are all corded. Really, the only thing cordless that I have is a Ryobi random orbit sander and a Craftsman impact driver and Im just waiting for that thing to die so that I can replace it too and get rid of all of my Ryobi batteries. Also, when all of my Craftsman V20 batteries die, Im probably going to switch over to air tools. Ive got a Husky air powered drill and an air powered impact driver that both honestly outperform every electric drill that Ive ever owned. Same thing with my Dremel die grinder. Ive got a Husky pneumatic grinder that is just waiting in the wings for when the Dremel dies.
I can certainly understand cordless for some, such as a contractor who is working in building houses where they dont have access to power but for the average Joe, theres no reason to not go corded because you are always near an out let.

"...contractor who is working in building houses where they dont have access to power..."
we often use pnuematic too, just push a button on the generator'n there's ur power
8^ )

Back