I am new member.. Recommend amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new of this forum. I would like hear your recommendation for the Amsoil for my 1996 Cherokee 4x4 Sport 4.0L 6 inline cylinders.

I always use Mobil 10w-30 with PureOne oil or Fram X2 oil filters. I always change every 5000 miles intervial on my jeep. Where I live in Perris near Riverside in california and It is very hot weather everyday (95-107F temperature daily in summer time). Will amsoil 10w-30 handle hot climate?

Question which should I buy regular amsoil 10w-30 or High performance 10w-30? Let me know thanks!

PS. It has 123K mileage on motor and No leaking. I couldn't find someone who has cherokee with amosoil on search engine on this forums.

Amsoil is great oil but Mobil 1 10w-30 is too. In fact I think it's Mobil's best. I really don't see the need to switch. Amsoil's Series 2000/3000 oils I'd go with if you had a performance car, otherwise I don't really see any advantage of using 10w-30 ATM Amsoil over Mobil 1 at this point. If you do, go with the 25k mile one, it will do a very nice job. Any of the oils above could be changed just once a year backed by oil sampling to make sure it's safe.

[ August 17, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Reason I asked....

Amsoil 6 qt + amsoil oil filter for 12,500 miles cost rough est. 40 dollars total

Mobil 1 6 qt + PureOne oil filter cost 3 times change oil intervial. You can see it cost about 117 dollars. (5000 oil change intervial cost rough 39 dollars per x 3 times = 117 dollars)

Unless I am wrong. Please tell me thanks!

PS. Good idea about take a oil sampling to check how good the motor is.

PSS. don't worry about my english grammar. My primary language is ASL (America Sign Language). In case you wondering, I am deaf!
smile.gif

No problem. You can change Mobil 1 10w-30 at 12,500 miles. Mobil 1 10w-30 is as capable as the Amsoil ATM line for extended drains. Amsoil's Series 2000/3000 are even greater extended drain oils from what I understand. Changing Mobil 1 at 3k miles is a waste of oil, time and money. You could easily go 10-12k miles with no problems with M1 monitored by used oil analysis first.
cheers.gif

Whoa, I thought Mobil 1 always max as far as 5000 miles. Allright, Where can I find the Oil test kit. Do I can get it from pepboy or somewhere that carry oil sampling test. Let me know thanks!

quote:

No problem. You can change Mobil 1 10w-30 at 12,500 miles. Mobil 1 10w-30 is as capable as the Amsoil ATM line for extended drains. Amsoil's Series 2000/3000 are even greater extended drain oils from what I understand. Changing Mobil 1 at 3k miles is a waste of oil, time and money. You could easily go 10-12k miles with no problems with M1 monitored by used oil analysis first.

Buster has a good suggestion: Get your current oil analysed.

I can tell you that this engine is best off with a synthetic XW-40 (10W or 15W), especially in your climate. It seems the XW-30's (any brand) used oil analysis' we've seen are not the best in that 4.0 L6 when compared with a Synthetic XW-40.

I really recommend Amsoil 15W-40.

Tim H.: What's wrong with Fram X2 oil filter? I thought Fram X2 isn't using cardboard. Isn't it?

I wont mess with Fram orange or toughguard oil filter. I like Mobil 1, K+N, and PureOne oil filters are best for 5000 miles oil change intervial. I dont think these can handle 15,000 miles. Only I can find excellent high miles oil filter such as Fram X2 7500 miles or Amsoil 25,000 (play safe at 12,500 miles for amsoil).

Mail order the kit. I recommend Terry Dyson to start - via Blackstone labs.

Once you get the hang of oil analysis you can order from Amsoil (me) as well - or you can send your results to Terry for interpretation (for a small fee). I make nothing on selling the kits.

Pablo, I agreed. I just asked where could i find the oil sampling test kit from auto parts store. What is your recommandation?

quote:

Buster has a good suggestion: Get your current oil analysed.

I can tell you that this engine is best off with a synthetic XW-40 (10W or 15W), especially in your climate. It seems the XW-30's (any brand) used oil analysis' we've seen are not the best in that 4.0 L6 when compared with a Synthetic XW-40.

quote:

Good choice. I didn't think you could use that in a gas engine. Is it the same chemsitry as S3k? Thats one of the things I like about Amsoil, is that they have so many viscosities to chose from.
cheers.gif

[ August 17, 2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster - it's rated for gas engines - using it in my 245Ti right now. I don't think it has the same base oil percentages as 3K, but I know the additive package is robust.

Fasty, I agree with Pablo about using a 40 wt oil. I think you will get much better results with a higher viscosity oil and you should have lower oil consumption. The 15W-40 oil that Amsoil produces is also one of the least expensive oils they sell.

I ran Amsoil ATM 10W-30 in my Grand Cherokee 4.0 for almost 25,000 miles, and had a great used oil analyses. You should be able to find it in the UOA section.

Buster- Pablo said recommend 15w-40, I can't find anywhere on amsoil website. It stated said for Marine or Diesel motor.

My jeep is a gasoline motor. either Mobil 1 or Amsoil 10w-40. I just want double check before i can order some oils for my jeep.

[ August 21, 2003, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: fasty ]

Like I recommended earlier to another guy with a 4.0 I-6: A HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil) 5w-40 or 15w-40 with a K&N oil filter.

Delvac, Delo, or Pennz. Long-Life 15w-40 can be had for $6/gallon.
Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 can be had for $12/gallon.

Oils available at Wal-Mart.

For Amsoil, 5w-30HDD or 15w-40AME Heavy-Duty oil.

K&N filter available through AutoZone.

[ August 21, 2003, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

fasty - the Amsoil 15W-40 is for gasoline car/truck engines as well as marine gasoline engines and diesels of all types. It's a fleet oil as are most 15W-40's that I know of.

I'm using it in my Volvo gasoline turbo right now. Sweet oil and great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back