I am done with my BMW updates ...

Nice build! I have the Euro intake (found on ebay before covid) and the silicone intake tube. Mine is an N51, so it already has the 3-stage intake to make up for the lower compression SULEV cylinder head. What did you do with the TPMS module issue? I had someone from the forums code mine out and put it back to the 06-07 style tire monitor using the ABS sensors. Much easier since you don't have to deal with the stupid tire sensors with multiple sets of wheels.

Love the Bilsteins and the brakes.

I put B6 on my wife’s GM SUV, and they cost about what GM OE does!!!! And OE leaks every 60-75k

You obviously care about the “meat” or substance. Hats off!

(I always wanted to have a vehicle with yellow shocks and blue boots since childhood)

Nice build! I have the Euro intake (found on ebay before covid) and the silicone intake tube. Mine is an N51, so it already has the 3-stage intake to make up for the lower compression SULEV cylinder head. What did you do with the TPMS module issue? I had someone from the forums code mine out and put it back to the 06-07 style tire monitor using the ABS sensors. Much easier since you don't have to deal with the stupid tire sensors with multiple sets of wheels.
Oh yeah, I was contemplating going tire monitor. Very easy to code through ProTool or ISTA-P. On ProTool, there is literally an option: Tire monitor.
But I did not want that on track. The sensor is faster, and I want immediate indication if one tire starts to lose air. Plus, OE BMW sensors are cheap on eBay etc. I never had them fail early bcs. eBay.

Love the Bilsteins and the brakes.

I put B6 on my wife’s GM SUV, and they cost about what GM OE does!!!! And OE leaks every 60-75k

You obviously care about the “meat” or substance. Hats off!

(I always wanted to have a vehicle with yellow shocks and blue boots since childhood)
Thanx. Yeah, they are an absolute blast. They were like $650 for all four on Rock Auto.

LOL. There is a supercharger option for this vehicle. Brand new with all necessary stuff (injectors etc.) is around $4,000. But, I do not want that.
There are some 328 that are racked up to around 280-290WHP without turbo or SC. That requires an intake manifold from N54 335i, some modifications on it, MILVS, headers, and removing catalytic converters. Some got from RWD and differential from E60 530 xDrive, and all those modifications, 6MT, faster 0-60 than E46 M3. But, I would be giving up low-end torque, and really do not want a screaming, stinky (no CATs) car while dropping kids etc.

Well, this is pretty much everything I wanted to do to my E90, but never had the time for. (1 and 3 year old, worked lots of OT through COVID).

I appreciate the post so I can drool and dream. Also looking forward to some on track impressions, post upgrades.

Solid mods Edy.

Prob about as good as you can get without going inside engines.

Thanks for sharing.

Who is the stand alone oil cooler from?

Upgrades that is :ROFLMAO:

So, I got this BMW E90 328 xDrive with 6-speed manual in December 2019. I was looking specifically E90 with N52 (last naturally aspirated I6 engine that BMW had). I had several criteria:
1. Must be manual.
2. Must have below 100k.
3. LCI (updated, so not older than 2009).
4. No iDrive.
5. HiD lights.
6. Sports package.
7. xDrive bcs. I would take it to ski.

So, after looking for a year since I got rid of X5 for Sienna, I found one in DC with 84,000 miles, flew there, and drove it back in two days to CO.

The first purchase was 16" wheels with Continental VikingCointact 7 snow tires running 205/55 R16.
Then in April, once COVID shut down everything, I embarked on an audio upgrade. That was the first thing as base audio that came with was blah:
1. Kenwood head unit.
2. Pioneer shallow subwoofers below front seats in encolusures that had BMW subwoofers.
3. 6 1/2 Pioneer speakers in the rear shelf instead of 4" speakers.
4. 4" mid and 1 1/2" tweeters in front doors (MB Quart mid, Pioneer tweeters).
5. JL Audio amp pushing regular speakers.
6. Pioneer amp pushing Subwoofers.

View attachment 163889

Old shelf speakers:
View attachment 163890

New shelf speakers:

View attachment 163891

Old vs. new subwoofer:

View attachment 163892

New Subwoofer in place:

View attachment 163893

So, the audio worked excellent! The reason why I went Kenwood HU is that it has a rear USB line that is 5ft long, so I ran it to the glove compartment to hook up iPod. I only use a physical connection as it is much better than Bluetooth.
Also, it has 6 5V outputs for amplifiers.

After that, next project was oil cooler. I had issues with oil temperature while I was tracking. Altitude is unforgiving and I know people who come from Texas with turbo engines on BMWs here to track, and regardless that they have oil coolers and it works in TX heat, here it is not sufficient. I did not want to go brick-style heat exchanger. I wanted radiator type that is found on N54/55 turbo models with a sport package. It is overkill for naturally aspirated N52, BUT, it has a thermostat that opens at 110c, so no problems warming up oil. Luckily, N51/52/53/54/55 engines share same oil filter housing and models with heat exchanger or thermostat just have opening on other side where you attach heat exchanger or thermostat that has two lines going in and out:

Oil filter housing with thermostat attached and lines going in and out:
View attachment 163894

The actual cooler is in the wheel well. Air goes through front where there is duct for brake cooling. Then duct separates to line for brakes and line that attaches to the radiator:
View attachment 163895

Oil cooler worked perfectly. Absolutely no oil temperature issues (I was running up to 300f when limp mode would kick in). It is sooo efficient, that I ran a 70-minute session at 102f at 5,100ft altitude and did not go over 255f.

Than suspension upgrades came:
1. Bilstein B6 struts and shocks. B6 are normal height and track rated (B8 are for lower vehicles). The reason I did not want to lower car is that it is my daily, I take kids to school, work, ski etc.
2. Front I had to go regular control arms etc. because it is xDrive. On RWD you can go M3 control arms that have bearing-style bushings. I just refreshed the front with all arms, sway bar bushings, toe rods, strut mounts etc.
3. Rear I had more options. Upper and lower wishbones can be from M3. They are forged aluminum and have bearing-style bushings. They also increase camber. I used Monroe upper and lower shock mounts. DUe to E90 coming with RFT, they use some kind of sponge to absorb RFT harshness. Since I ditched RFT, I wanted stiffer mounts and Monroe ($9 per wheel) is considered among the BMW crowd as the best upgrade.
4. Rear subframe bushings were replaced with Polyurethane performance ones from Powerflex which are stiffer than M3 ones.
5. Rear diff bushings are from M3. Polyurethane bushings in the rear diff. apparently, create whining noise.

Rear suspension:
View attachment 163896

After suspension, it was time for an engine.
First was air box. the US air box comes with two air filters. One is regular that you replace. Another one is charcoal which is integrated to meet CARB requirements. A popular upgrade is going European box, which has a mushroom-style filter inside a different box and no charcoal filter.
But, that box is like $300 for used and $400+ for new. But, I called my brother and he found one on a jank yard in Bosnia for $20, and sent it here for $40! Ha!!! Also, I replaced the intake hose with Turner one. That eliminates the resonator and provides crispier sound:

New air box with blue Turner intake hose:
View attachment 163901
I'm envious what a unicorn. BMW dropped the x drive with the manual transmission, on certain years but wasn't aware they brought it back. I've only seen two F20 3 series with a manual transmission.

Just to get a visual perspective, do you have a picture of the whole car?
OK, I took some photos this morning:

E90 GoG.jpeg

E90 GoG1.jpeg

E90 GoG2.jpeg

E90 GoG4.jpg

E90 GoG5.jpeg

E90 GoG6.jpeg

OK, I took some photos this morning:
I read everything that you've posted in this thread, and I'm impressed with the number and quality of the modifications you've made. The decent pictures you provided added to my enjoyment of reading about the work that you did. (y) (y)

This is a dream list of upgrades. I really don't have the time to work on an old Bimmer these days, but I've loved a few in the past. Out of all the smaller cars you can get in the world, Bimmers are pretty good for tall guys, especially with manual seats.

edit: looks pretty awesome too.

Solid mods Edy.

Prob about as good as you can get without going inside engines.

Thanks for sharing.

Who is the stand alone oil cooler from?
The oil cooler thing is super easy on E90. The thing is with BMW, at least old fashion ones with longitudinal engines, is that the chassis is already made ready for the M model. That means that all holes, carriers, and bolts are there.
The oil filter housing is same on all N generation inline 6 engines and I4 engines. The question is whether they are type ready for an oil cooler or not. They take same filter etc.
This is one not ready for the oil cooler, and that is how it looked when I got a car. These are not my photos, but to give you idea:
OFH without port.jpg

This is type that has port for heat exchanger or radiator type oil cooler:
OFH with port.jpg

This is one that has a heat exchanger, "brick" type cooler:
Brick oil cooler.jpg

Now, the heat exchanger would probably work OK on my N52 on track. But I wanted overkill. Also, the heat exchanger if the gasket fails, will mix oil and coolant.

So, I went thermostat with ports for oil cooler lines, which is BMW OE set up on 335 with sport package and M3. This is my photo:
OFH thermostat with lines 2.JPG

This is the new cooler, OE BMW looks like. It can go on any E90, regular or M3:
Cooler.jpg

This is where it is located (not my car):

Oil cooler on car without bumper.jpg

This is what is used to draw air to it. This is attached to air duct that draws air to the brakes. The bottom part, a small hole, takes air to the brakes, upper part, a larger hole, is bolted onto the cooler:
Air duct.jpg

:
So, everything is OE. I got Oil filter housing from 2015 X5 35i for $35 on eBay. The oil cooler was brand new, as well as the cooler lines. The thermostat was $110, brand new, OE BMW.

This is a dream list of upgrades. I really don't have the time to work on an old Bimmer these days, but I've loved a few in the past. Out of all the smaller cars you can get in the world, Bimmers are pretty good for tall guys, especially with manual seats.

edit: looks pretty awesome too.
Mine has memory, sports seats with extension. I said before I would take this car over my previous Sienna or now Atlas (which is not bad) any time across the country. I drove it from DC to Colorado, and no issues whatsoever. Super comfortable, legs in the right position, etc.

Well, this is pretty much everything I wanted to do to my E90, but never had the time for. (1 and 3 year old, worked lots of OT through COVID).

I appreciate the post so I can drool and dream. Also looking forward to some on track impressions, post upgrades.
I tracked it all the time, before upgrades, during and after.
Oil cooler had biggest impact. No limp modes, no dialing back ignition etc. One thing about BMW's with electric water p[ump and electric thermostat in F and G models is that they regulate coolant temperature based on driving profile. Even at 100+ degree weather, 40+ minutes sessions, my coolant temperature was between 80c and 95c.

Suspension upgrades made corners much faster. M3 control arms made vehicle more predictable and quicker to rotate. Interestingly, upgrades in the rear reduced understeer. It is not Audi, but bcs. AWD, there is a bit of understeer. M3 arms and polyurethane bushings help a lot!
As for the engine, yes, there is definitely more power. But on track it was hard to determine as often HPR is VERY hot in summer plus altitude. Very often in June-October you are seeing 100+ degrees at 5,100ft altitude. It robs a lot of hp from the engine. Turbo definitely rules here if you are chasing time.

Here are two videos; one is from 2021, before 3 stage intake upgrade.
The short one is from last year when I went off-roading (pretty good at it :ROFLMAO: ).
SOrry for noise. I did not have at that time GoPro or a dedicated microphone. Video was made using iPhone.

Last edited:
The oil cooler thing is super easy on E90. The thing is with BMW, at least old fashion ones with longitudinal engines, is that the chassis is already made ready for the M model. That means that all holes, carriers, and bolts are there.
The oil filter housing is same on all N generation inline 6 engines and I4 engines. The question is whether they are type ready for an oil cooler or not. They take same filter etc.
This is one not ready for the oil cooler, and that is how it looked when I got a car. These are not my photos, but to give you idea:
View attachment 163974

This is type that has port for heat exchanger or radiator type oil cooler:
View attachment 163975

This is one that has a heat exchanger, "brick" type cooler:
View attachment 163977
Now, the heat exchanger would probably work OK on my N52 on track. But I wanted overkill. Also, the heat exchanger if the gasket fails, will mix oil and coolant.

So, I went thermostat with ports for oil cooler lines, which is BMW OE set up on 335 with sport package and M3. This is my photo:
View attachment 163978

This is the new cooler, OE BMW looks like. It can go on any E90, regular or M3:
View attachment 163980

This is where it is located (not my car):

View attachment 163981

This is what is used to draw air to it. This is attached to air duct that draws air to the brakes. The bottom part, a small hole, takes air to the brakes, upper part, a larger hole, is bolted onto the cooler:
View attachment 163984
:
So, everything is OE. I got Oil filter housing from 2015 X5 35i for $35 on eBay. The oil cooler was brand new, as well as the cooler lines. The thermostat was $110, brand new, OE BMW.
o_O
Seeing this make me glad I have a stock e30

It would be harder to make this set up on E30. This takes 3-4hrs while sipping on beer. No monkey business with aftermarket coolers etc.
A stock e30 has that setup from factory on all 325i 6 cyl. models.
No aftermarket nonsense required.
1688065120582.jpg

Back