I am confused about out analysis, Blackstone Lab not correcting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I sent in an oil analysis sample, which I will post as soon as I figure out how to post an adobe file. Anyway, I sent in a note saying that 6 quarts went in, and about 4 came out. My report had 2 categories:

-Unit averages
-Universal averages.

What is missing? A correction factor. I am really annoyed that no attempt is made to correct for oil burning. For example, if iron is present in an oil with a full sump (6 quarts) at 15 ppm. If the EXACT same amount of Iron is present in 4 quarts of oil, the number would be measured at 20 ppm, or 33% higher, even though the total ware would be EXACTLY the same. I feel like I just wasted 30 bucks sending a sample into a lab that overlooked a fundamental concept about concentration and correction factor. Also, was the universal average for 15,000 miles or 3,000 miles. Why do I not see this defined. I want to be able to have some basis for interpreting the data myself. I am smart enough, however, to know that I don't know everything, so before I call up and ask for a refund, am I missing something? Thank you.

[ July 14, 2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: LS1-CAMARO ]

I guess interpreting is available for a price from those that provide this service. The analysis did provide you with the information to extrapolate and determine the iron concentration in your oil volume. Is an oil analysis worth the price? I guess that's debatable. I like to get one every now and again just to see if my engine is out of whack vs. averages.

Also, was the universal average for 15,000 miles or 3,000 miles.

The comments should have appeared (at one part, anyway) "You oil appears like oil in use for 6000 miles. Yours was in service more then that. Try 8500 next time and check back.

That 6000 miles (or whatever they referred to) is the average mileage that the universal averages is made up from.

Look at the last line or two of the comments:

-

We might be taking a walk to Auto-Gen. Buckle your seat belt.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back