I added MOS2 powder to a qt of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some MOS2 powder and decided to add it to a quart of oil (~1 gram). When I first dumped it in the bottle and shook it up, it mixed easily. Within a few minutes I noticed a separation for the first 1/4" (6.5mm) at the top. After 2 days most of the powder settled to the bottom, but there was still some in suspension. I shook the bottle again and it took about 1.5 minutes to get the moly off the bottom. I noticed that all the MOS2 additives sold are in a solid colored plastic bottle or metal can. That may be to keep people from noticing the separation. If the MOS2 sold by LubroMoly settles to the bottom of the cars oil pan it could explain why the moly continues to be present after a few oil changes. The settled powder acts like a time release capsule. It is also possible that the dispersant in the other 5 quarts in the oil pan will carry the settled powder. The pictures below are after ~48 hours.

401749880.jpg

401749882.jpg

401749883.jpg

401749886.jpg

401749887.jpg

I'd be curious how much of that inevitably gets captured by the oil filter anyhow, since the filter is bound to capture some small amount of it regardless of how fine the moly is.

I guess the biggest concern is it all falling out of solution or even getting sucked in as a big dump of MO2 when the oil pickup starts up but I wouldn't fear much with that.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I'd be curious how much of that inevitably gets captured by the oil filter anyhow, since the filter is bound to capture some small amount of it regardless of how fine the moly is.

I guess the biggest concern is it all falling out of solution or even getting sucked in as a big dump of MO2 when the oil pickup starts up but I wouldn't fear much with that.

The moly powder is slippery. It doesn't clump together. any clumps that do make it past the oil screen would get smashed by the gears. Any moly clumps that get past the gears would be caught by the filter. If any got past the filter, they wouldn't be large enough to do damage (hopefully).

I use Moly as well as Tungsten Disulphide to coat bullets, and have made my own mix of Moly and oil which I currently use in my lawn mower. You can see the Moly coating on the dipstick even after the mower sits for weeks. I'm sure there is settling, but I'm pretty sure there is a nice coating of the Moly and oil on the inside of the engine too. Once you fire up the engine any Moly that has settled out is back in suspension and circulating the engine again.

Yeah, thanks for the pics but take this scenario to an engine with all of the nooks and crannies with larger sump capacities and you simply won't get settling like this until after at least a week, and that's just for it to start 'settling'.

I doubt it will agglomerate and perhaps only a fine percentage is actually filtered out. I suppose more staining of filtration media than actual filtration of under 2 micron particles.

I wouldn't use MoS2 in an engine with a bypass system or 2um filtration capable setups.

I doubt you'd get it all to settle to the oil pan, but perhaps 'most' settles in some engines after a couple of weeks.

This is why you only add it to your DD or to a vehicle driven once a week, JMO.

Lastly, you also have to consider if it truly does plate metal in any way, there is less drive to simply settle out as if it were in a plastic bottle. The other point is if it were in the oil pan mostly after the change(aside from what is left elsewhere), you'd figure the drain would wash out a good portion anyway.

1 rinse cycle OCI, post MoS2 addition then drain, and you'll have negligible amounts remaining.

What was the particle size of the moly you put in? I did the same test with the lubromoly brand and it stayed in suspension for a month on my garage shelf. I poured it off slowly and there was slight amount of moly on the bottom, nothing like the amount you see. A swirl of the bottle and it was gone.Makes me think there is something in the lubromoly product that keeps in suspension.

Thanks for your informative post.

I've used Tufoil in the past on my vehicles and tried the same with mixing it into oil to see what the particles were like and if there was any separation. FWIR....the Tufoil dissolved into the oil and made the oil a little darker and thicker.

I could not really see any distinct particles floating in the oil nor any true separation of the oil and Tufoil after I let it sit for a day or so. It had appeared that the Tufoil just dissolved into the oil, at room temperature, and became a part of the oil. IDK... if TufOil would show a true separation at a very cold temperature.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
What was the particle size of the moly you put in?

under 6um.

I bought it to add to gear oil, but decided to add it to engine oil to see what would happen. I figured the filter would catch the larger particles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed
What was the particle size of the moly you put in?

under 6um.

I bought it to add to gear oil, but decided to add it to engine oil to see what would happen. I figured the filter would catch the larger particles.

I think , but could not find the post about lubromoly being under 2um. Rose Mill sells moly , super fine 1.5um. the size could make a big difference.

Last edited:
^well, larger individual particles may translate directly to heavier individual particles, and quicker settling alone.

Everytime i think of Moly powder I think of WS2 powder......

I also like Mos2. It doesnt get clogged in the oil filter, if what I read is true.

Hello,
I have tried mixing raw Mos2 powder in oil and get the same results as you: settling.
Even with Rose Mill 1,5um powder, I have get settling.

To keep it in suspension, you need colloidal powder, i.e. a powder so fine that the brownian motion of particles keeps them in suspension. This translate to particles
The Mos2 additive I use stay in suspension even after a 3 months test. No settling at all. Very, very fine powder and ( I guess ) some dispersants.

Using Rose Mill 1,5um powder, I had to mix a s**t load of it in oil to have a useful amount still in suspension after a few weeks. Not economical at all.

This kind of powder is most usefull for grease, as the settling isn't an issue.

the above reason is why i would never use a product like lubromoly..i have seen this over and over from a poor moly additive.i have found the highest quality moly additive is made by lubeatech avanced tech.(LAT)it is expensive 12 oz for 19 bucks.. liq. frict.reducer..this product is what alot of pro nhra use in their top fuels,funny cars,pro stock,etc.and their own personal vehicles..

^The above isn't even in the same context as Lubro Moly's product. I don't know why you would make the stretch as another user said he did the SAME TEST with Lubro Moly and got NO SETTLING in over a MONTH.

...37t414br 3wr f !?!?!!

okay it's late. goodnight!
crackmeup2.gif

What was the particle size of the moly you put in? I did the same test with the lubromoly brand and it stayed in suspension for a month on my garage shelf. I poured it off slowly and there was slight amount of moly on the bottom, nothing like the amount you see. A swirl of the bottle and it was gone.Makes me think there is something in the lubromoly product that keeps in suspension.

^thank you spasm3.

mos2 is a powder and in oils and additves it eventually falls out..i would not take that chance..we all rely on the makers. its tuff enough to sort through the hype of all these products...i don't use anything that has the least possibility of a neg. result.

^To me, it's a tool and who is at fault if the tool is used incorrectly?

whistle.gif

28.gif

What was more interesting to me was what ARCO mentioned in another thread, that MoS2 might harm soft metals.
confused2.gif

I didn't experience any soft metal increased wear, in fact, the UOA showed that wear metals not only bettered the universal averages, but were also less than my unit averages! This stuff may actually work. I will post my next UOA next month to see if this trend holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back