I accidentally spilled my used oil sample!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I accidently spilled my used oil sample which was taken while the oil was draining. This was two days ago. Now my only choice is to get another sample from the drain pan that caught all of my drained oil. Is it possible that my used oil analysis results might be seriously skewed or meaningless if I go ahead and do this? Calling for some expert advice on this matter!

First of all
welcome2.gif

Now for the bad news...

I would NOT do the UOA. For it to be accurate, it must not be contaminated.

Wait till next time.
cheers3.gif

Take care, Bill

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the used oil was from my 07 Mini Cooper S. I was looking forward to seeing how the gold GC was doing in my engine!

Originally Posted By: glennc
A second run will give more representative numbers anyway.

Totally agree with this. Some people take one sample approach and it just makes no sense. In this case probably some break-in going on anyway. In other cases such as cars on longer OCI's on conventional oil, people will switch to say, an oil with the ability to clean residuals and maybe not get such a hot UOA. Blame the oil? Sure!!

So in summation: Fuggitdaboutit

unless the drain pan was brand new, never used then i would say yes. If had been used before wait until next sample.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
unless the drain pan was brand new, never used then i would say yes. If had been used before wait until next sample.

Even a new pan probably isn't that clean either. Wait till next time.

This has happened to me twice. Once while under the car, once in kicking the sample bottle over.

Both times I picked up the bottle only to have less than a fingers thickness of oil in the bottle, both times I sent the oil to Terry's lab, no complaints, UOAs done.

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to wait until the next oil change for the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back