Hyundai - Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link! I never would have guessed that would be the friend you were talking about, I've done quite a bit of reading on his page before!
grin2.gif

I wouldn't be calling Hondas 'boring' though.
wink.gif
I'm quite a fan of the Accord and the S2000 myself.

Having said that, just because one person has had bad experiences (or good experiences for that matter) with a certain brand, doesn't necessarily mean it applies to everybody. I realise there are many who have experienced bad luck with Mitsubishis, although its been my 'lucky' brand.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
A lot of generalising here as far as Mitsubishi is concerned. I've got a Pajero with the infamous 3.0L 6G72 and it keeps on going. Albeit the valve guides are shot at 170,000 miles, but so what...I'm overhauling the top end soon for the first time. The bottom ends on the 6G engines are as bullet proof as it gets

That's the thing about generalizations... they're GENERALLY true ;-)

I'm glad yours is making you happy, but IMO valve guides shouldn't be shot at 170k. No Chrysler-built engine I've ever owned past 200k (and that's quite a few) has turned into an oil-hog or had valve guides drop out of the head and require circlips to keep them in place like the 3.0s often do.

I will grant you the bottom end on the 3.0 is reliable, even in the heavy minivan applications.

Thanks for the link! I never would have guessed that would be the friend you were talking about, I've done quite a bit of reading on his page before!
grin2.gif

Yeah, he was the first person I'd ever met who video'd every procedure he did and narrated it. Too bad he preferred the indoor temp in our aptmt. to be about 157 degrees.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
That's the thing about generalizations... they're GENERALLY true ;-)

I'm glad yours is making you happy, but IMO valve guides shouldn't be shot at 170k. No Chrysler-built engine I've ever owned past 200k (and that's quite a few) has turned into an oil-hog or had valve guides drop out of the head and require circlips to keep them in place like the 3.0s often do.

I will grant you the bottom end on the 3.0 is reliable, even in the heavy minivan applications.

Never claimed the 12-valve 3.0 was absolutely perfect, which is why the 24-valve version came out - addressing the issue with guides developing big gaps and wearing out quickly.
wink.gif
The 24-valve 3.0, 3.5 and 3.8 engines are bullet proof and last a long time without problems. Although at 1 litre every 4,000 km, I would hardly call mine an oil hog.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianWC

Yeah, he was the first person I'd ever met who video'd every procedure he did and narrated it. Too bad he preferred the indoor temp in our aptmt. to be about 157 degrees.

crazy2.gif

The V6 Genesis uses the Aisin 6 Speed.
The V8 Genesis uses the ZF 6 Speed.

Bob

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It's a bit of a misnomer.

Toyota spun it's transmission unit off and it is now part of AISIN, which Toyota is the largest owner of.

Many older Sonotas did have an Aisin tranny. I believe, but don't know if the current one is. I know Hyundai has a in-house 6 speed, but they also buy Aisin 6speeds for the Genisis.

EDIT: sorry, the genisis tranny Hyundai buys from ZF, not Aisin.

Toyota doesn't build the engines for them, though.

I had a 88 Mitsu P/U that I drove awhile (3 years) company car
never had any problems at had 30k when I got and I changed the oil abut every 4 months in at an IFFY lube or Wally - World.
2 liter jet engine?

A lot of generalising here as far as Mitsubishi is concerned. I've got a Pajero with the infamous 3.0L 6G72 and it keeps on going. Albeit the valve guides are shot at 170,000 miles, but so what...I'm overhauling the top end soon for the first time. The bottom ends on the 6G engines are as bullet proof as it gets, and whilst there were some flaws with the 12-valve version, the 24-valve version has fixed that. I even bit the bullet and even got a Galant with the 3.8L 6G75.

This truck has actually been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and my first Japanese/Mitsubishi at that. I've also owned a 2008 Outlander, which I sold off for personal reasons and now replaced with the Galant. Mitsubishi are not like they used to be, neither is Hyundai. Both are now building excellent, reliable vehicles.

I think with Mitsubishi you have to get the right year and model. 2000 and older Pajeros/Monteros are very tough, but not all Mitsubishis are built quite like those trucks.

One thing I have noticed about Mitsubishi vehicles is that many owners/drivers beat them to death. I see hundreds of 2-10 year old auction vehicles every week. The Mitsubishis are always trashed. I have never seen one that was very well cared for. One 2006 Galant I saw was in such bad shape that the carpet had to be pressure washed, then scrubbed just for it to be presentable. Not all Toyotas are well cared for either, but for the most part they are much cleaner than the Mitsubishis, which indicates that they probably got oil changes and other maintenance as well. It's hard to believe that cars like the 2006 Galant I mentioned got regular maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back