Hyundai Sonata Oil Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing an oil change on my friends Sonata Monday afternoon. But I've read different things about it's filter. Is it a spin on or cartridge type? It's a 2006 with a v6.

Last edited:
It's a cartridge oil filter. Remove the engine cover and you'll see the canister.

The dealership is the only place you can purchase an oil filter, currently. Around $10/filter.

Quote:

Thanks guys , but to make things more confusing , Purolator has a part # and it's a spin on filter.

The 4-cyl uses a spin-on filter. I may be wrong, as Wix could've released an alternative filter by now.

Quote:

I'm doing an oil change on my friends Sonata Monday afternoon. But I've read different things about it's filter. Is it a spin on or cartridge type? It's a 2006 with a v6.

Wix shows it as a 57061, which is a cartridge, not a spin-on.

Media: Paper
Height: 5.157
Outer Diameter: 2.893
Inner Diameter: 1.677

The factory filters are pretty decent.

DongWoo, Inc., makes them for Hyundia, Kia, and GM Daewoo. It's a joint venture with Mann+Hummel of Germany, and the filters I've looked at appear to be Mann+Hummel designs.

Whoops! That Purolator reference should've been L35610.

(Love the way we can no longer make corrections to our posts, moderators - real heads-up planning!
wink.gif
)

Quote:

DongWoo, Inc., makes them for Hyundia, Kia, and GM Daewoo. It's a joint venture with Mann+Hummel of Germany, and the filters I've looked at appear to be Mann+Hummel designs.

Is this all the Hyundai/ Kia oil filters or just the cartridge?

Purchased six cartridge filters (Napa Gold) for my KIA Sedona, same engine, on-line for $4.38 ea. along with six filters for my other car. Saved about 4 bucks per filter.
banana.gif

Got around to the oil change today. No suprises , real easy to do. The dealer was the only place that had the oil filter.If it was my car I would throw the engine cover away pain in the butt for no reason.

Quote:

Got around to the oil change today. No suprises , real easy to do. The dealer was the only place that had the oil filter.If it was my car I would throw the engine cover away pain in the butt for no reason.

An older lady down the street just bought a 2007 3.3 V6 Sonata. I told her I would help with oil changes. Are you saying the oil filter is located at the top of the engine compartment? I have not checked yet but that is unusual I think. I've always changed filters from the bottom of the car/truck. Is there anything else I should know like crush washers (my Honda requires a new washer at the oil plug after each drain)?

Yes , the filter is on top. It's a cartridge design. You change the media and 2 o-rings that comes with the kit. It's under the useless but pretty engine cover. Remove 2 bolts and 4 nuts , real easy to do. Then you will see cartridge on the right. I used a strap wrench to remove cover. You will see where the o-rings go , no guessing. Although the aftermarket has part numbers , at the time the dealer was the only place that had the filter kit. 8 bucks and change.

Fleet Filter...what's the part number for the filter on your site? Also, does it include the o rings, etc?

Thanks,
Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back