Hyundai/Kia SP-III specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the specs are for SP-III? I'm interested in the viscosities, mainly.

I'm currently using VML ATF which has a viscosity of 5.91 at 100 degrees. I've noticed other non-OEM fluids recommended for that spec (Amsoil, Pennzoil and Valvoline Import) have a higher viscosity at that temperature.

I'm curious to know which is closer to the SP-III spec as I'm currently running Maxlife.

I can't find the PDS, but the fluid properties are similar to Mercon V or Dexron III. As far as I know, there is no aftermarket SP-III. Kia, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi all have their 'own' SP-III, under slightly different labels, but they are all the same. Kia/Hyundai have now moved on to SP-IV, which is a similar viscosity to the new Mercon LV or Dexron VI. I use Amsoil ATF in my Kia and it works well, but I have considered using the thinner Maxlife ATF in the future.

SPIII was blended to 7-8cst. And, it could shear down to 5cst.
I wouldnt worry about the visc as the transmission should function across a wide range. Id worry more if you get up to the temp that the visc is measured. 100°c is not too friendly.

Since the OP is in Canada, the 6cst full synthetic is a good choice.

Thanks for the replies and the information!

So far Maxlife has worked well in the car. Shifting is smooth even on very cold winter days. I thought there could be some benefit in going with the thicker Import MV since viscosity was closer to other non-OEM fluids. Interesting that SP-III can shear down so much and still work in the transmission.

It does have a lower pour point than Maxlife which could be of some benefit in winter. Poor availability of Import in Canada makes it an easy choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back