Hyundai Fined $19 Million

This is a bit unnerving. I really am beginning to question whether Hyundai knows what they’re doing. They make so many mistakes and have been fined more times than I can count the last couple of years, not to mention their large $ class action lawsuits.

That is disheartening, coming from someone who has never owned an Asian brand vehicle. I was hoping Hyundai/Kia would become a quality alternative for more robust competition.

If I interpret the article correctly, 13.2 million dollars to 2.2 million affected customers = about $6 each.

This is a bit unnerving. I really am beginning to question whether Hyundai knows what they’re doing. They make so many mistakes and have been fined more times than I can count the last couple of years, not to mention their large $ class action lawsuits.

Just to be clear-

To be honest- I could probably find as much on every auto maker.

That’s not even close to being painful. That fine wasn’t even a slap on the hand…it was permission for Hyundai to do as they please because there will be no real consequences.
Monetarily, yes. But in the public eye, it brings awareness to ****ty practices by a corporation.

my old Sonata was the best car i ever owned. and the only non American. (in order of ownership: Chevy, Olds, Hyundai, Dodge, Mercury, Ford)
8.5 yrs and roughly 100k mi it was almost never in the shop. and 90% of what did put it in was covered under warranty. ( Dead Tacho, 2 failed window regs (both front), and at the VERY end of the 100k mi warranty (like pulled in to the shop @ 99,990) Replaced failed CV boots, They Replaced The Front Subframe at the same time a rust recall. I wouldn't be suprised if the subframe rot is what caused the boots to "rupture")

It did like to eat non OE belts, but as soon as a genuine oe was used, no Problems. and it consistently burned a qt of 10w30 every 1000 mi. and the Doors liked to Freeze shut.
just minor stuff.

My last 2 cars have been Fords, and my next one probably will be too, I'm well aware of how ****ty they've been lately. Def. need some one to shake 'em up and get back to the "quality is job 1 days"...

Monetarily, yes. But in the public eye, it brings awareness to ****ty practices by a corporation.

Unfortunately I doubt it. The public will only know the manufacturer stereotypes. The Ford PowerShift fiasco was barely known to the public.

Unfortunately I doubt it. The public will only know the manufacturer stereotypes. The Ford PowerShift fiasco was barely known to the public.
Do you know how many 6.0s were sold? I don't know but I'm betting it's not a small number. It was 4 model years and two different models (The "F" and "E" series). How many owners were told to "take a hike" after a warranty claim FOR A SECOND MOTOR? It was a fiasco of major proportions.

As long as Hyundai Group has a comparable model that sells for thousands less than Toyota or Honda or Mazda, they will be able to compete in the automotive market. Nowadays, people are less willing to pay for quality and are looking mostly for affordable prices. The Nissan Altima is garbage, and is also very popular because it costs much less than a Camry / Accord / Six. However, the long-term cost of ownership is probably higher than a quality model that costs more up-front. Everything is disposable nowadays, including a company's reputation for quality.

As long as Hyundai Group has a comparable model that sells for thousands less than Toyota or Honda or Mazda, they will be able to compete in the automotive market. Nowadays, people are less willing to pay for quality and are looking mostly for affordable prices. The Nissan Altima is garbage, and is also very popular because it costs much less than a Camry / Accord / Six. However, the long-term cost of ownership is probably higher than a quality model that costs more up-front. Everything is disposable nowadays, including a company's reputation for quality.
Have you seen the cost of new Hyundais? Price wise their MSRP’s are nearly identical to Toyota and Honda and people are paying it, especially in this current market. Nissans aren’t as bad as some people say.

Back