Hyundai and Kia fire recall

I bought a 2011 Sonata new, drove it for 5 years and 72,000 miles, and would be reluctant to ever own another. Between the questionable build quality, numerous recalls, and electrical glitches that were deemed "normal" it was not a carefree ownership experience. Hyundai's warranty is also a joke. Basically, if you get a CEL during the warranty period it is covered. If you have symptoms of some sort of issue, and there is no CEL, Hyundai washes their hands of the problem and just says it is "normal" and not covered.

This is not a new recall, I had the ABS fuse module replaced a few months back.

The new one is another "fire" recall when the rod bearings spin and punctures a hole in the block, causing a fire and a stall.

I go in tomorrow for that recall which consists of another PCM reprogram, and an engine "inspection".

Whatever i need to do to get lifetime engine warranty and get their blessing I will.

I understand your point of view, I felt that way for a long time. I will say Hyundai still lacks in overall build quality compared to most of the competition, but they have gotten better. I can walk around a Hyundai dealer lot and point out panel gap inconsistencies all day long. The competition is much better in that regard. You have to wonder what else is misaligned or sloppily put together if the body panels aren’t consistent.
Have you read about the Ford Bronco roof recall?

OR the snow getting in the soft tops-

Yes, I’ve seen it. But how does that compare to a fire recall? Spontaneous combustion is a major safety concern.
You mentioned "panel gaps". Ford's issue for a body panel (roof) is much worse.

Every manufacturer has their share of problems. I and others in my family have owned Hyundai and Kia. We are approaching a million cumulative miles. These cars have been rock solid and the most reliable of any that we have previously owned. And they actually hold their value rather well. I bought a base model one year old Santa Fe Sport for around 18K. Four years later I am being offered 17K for the car.

A
Toyota had the same problem with "unintended acceleration." It took them months to find the bad line of code. In the meantime they blamed the drivers/floormats, etc.
Are you sure about this? They really make a big deal about checking the front floor mats every time the dealer sees the vehicle. Documented also.

Touché, yet Toyota retains it's value and Hyundai / Kia end up in the junk yard / repo lot in 5 years. Value sinks harder than a used BMW / MB.
Yeah, thats why i was able to purchase one for less than half price MSRP, fully loaded only 2 yr old, 25k, a lifetime short block warranty, and 3 years remaining bumper to bumper, for the same price as a similar spec base civic. I'd call it a decent value. Very happy with the 2.4l NA engine, despite reading all the horror stories of earlier years.

A

Are you sure about this? They really make a big deal about checking the front floor mats every time the dealer sees the vehicle. Documented also.
  • Toyota’s electronic throttle control system (ETCS) source code is of unreasonable quality.
  • Toyota’s source code is defective and contains bugs, including bugs that can cause unintended acceleration (UA).
  • Code-quality metrics predict presence of additional bugs.
  • Source-

A

Yeah, thats why i was able to purchase one for less than half price MSRP, fully loaded only 2 yr old, 25k, a lifetime short block warranty, and 3 years remaining bumper to bumper, for the same price as a similar spec base civic. I'd call it a decent value. Very happy with the 2.4l NA engine, despite reading all the horror stories of earlier years.
How did you get a lifetime short block warranty, is this an extended Hyundai warranty? That's a good deal, I guess you lived up to your avatar name.

How did you get a lifetime short block warranty, is this an extended Hyundai warranty? That's a good deal, I guess you lived up to your avatar name.
Without getting into much detail, H/K got sued to oblivion in CA so they warrantied this engine up to 2019 MY, but only if the engine is knocking due to defect and throws that related CEL. Funny thing is I bought the car at the advertised price - no haggling involved, but this was at the inflection point right before prices went sky high (early Dec 2020). It has been on the lot at a Lexus dealership for a few months and they were eager to unload.

Holy smokes, im shocked at the amount of hate against Hyundai / Kia in this thread.

Here is my 2 cents on the 2.4L and 2.0L turbos, after owning at least a half a dozen Hyundai and Kia vehicles in the last 15 years with almost all of them in "problematic" years. 11-16.

No, ive NEVER had an issue with the 2.4L or 2.0L Turbo engines.
Yes, i did keep up on OCI 5-6K max with a full synthetic, and OEM filter.
Yes i did keep then engine full of oil
No, not one engine i've had has consumed any measurable amount of oil even after 6000 miles.
Yes, These engine do see WOT, and sometime often.

I'm not saying that they dont have not issues but I think a lot of it comes back to owner maintenance, 7500 OCI+ on regular dealer bulk oil, being under filled if you go "by the book", and then "IF" an issue does pop up and the 2.4L or 2.0L start burning oil the owners do not notice it and in turn the engines run very low on oil and then blow. And I'm also not saying that some of them came from the factory with a defect which SOME did but not all of them and not all of the 2.4 L or the 2.0 L turbo's are a ticking time bomb. Ive never had to warranty one of mine 2.4L or 2.0L Turbo engines, and they are NOT babied, but I keep a extremely strict regimen with the oil changes OEM filters now and 5 to 6000 miles max it works out to changing the oil twice a year.
And here's even another thought it appears most of spec books put the oil change amount at 4.5 QTS for the 2.4L... In ALL of my Hyundai Engines i've added almost an additional full qt of oil to bring it to the full mark on the stick. How many of these 2.0s and 2.4L are running 1 quart low right after an all change and then for the whole duration of the oil change interval... Heres a photo of the KIa engine and somewhere along the line "4.5 WF" was written with pen on the air intake. the 4.5 qts puts it just below the add mark on the stick. i had to add a additional 1.1 qts for it to be "full". Same with our Sonata 2.4L that will actually take almost 6 quarts(5.9) to bring it to the full mark after an hour drain...
I would rather a company be super transparent then to sweep things under the rug. Yeah it took Hyundai being sued but they did address and warranty way more motors then they should've in my opinion. I think a lot of these motors failed because of maintenance issues running low on oil etc... Hyundai is not a company with a squeaky clean record but everything is out in the open in terms of recalls, TSB, customer improvement programs, motor issues etc. and they do appear to address the people that do have issues a majority of the time. Again I'm not saying that they will not deny you because there are stories of people being denied but majority of the time Hyundai does work with the consumer and nine times out of 10 they do replace motors and address issues via TSB's or recalls.. I know it does not look great on paper but in my opinion again it's because everything's out in the open unlike some other manufacturers that hide very large issues or blame others.

OT: im taking the kia in today to have not 1, 2, but 3 different recalls done.. Its a 10 year old kia that is still supported at the dealer. They will do the knock sensor update for the lifetime warranty on the motor, then add a fuse into the AC wiring to prevent fires, and they are even going to rustproof the car again.. In my opinion there's not too many manufacturers that will still support and work on a 10+ year old car..

I know some will take this as me putting a Hyundai on a pedestal but I've owned a few different manufactured cars such as the Acura TL type S that blew the transmission before 80K miles and the dealer told us to kick sand even after changing the fluid ever 20K with OEM fluid or what about ford and the 3.8L, yep blew two those engines before 100,000K. neither one of those issues made the publicity the Hyundai's have had, but the Acura transmission would literally lock up at 80 miles an hour on the Thruway the potential of a crash, and the dealer looked the other way..

Thats my 2 cents plus some...

IMG_0394.jpeg

Holy smokes, im shocked at the amount of hate against Hyundai / Kia in this thread.

Here is my 2 cents on the 2.4L and 2.0L turbos, after owning at least a half a dozen Hyundai and Kia vehicles in the last 15 years with almost all of them in "problematic" years. 11-16.

No, not one engine i've had has consumed any measurable amount of oil even after 6000 miles.

I also had the oil changed in my 2011 Sonata 2.4L GDi every 5-7K miles at the dealer. I kept it full and checked it regularly. Mine was consuming a full quart of oil every 800 miles by the time it had 72,000 miles on it. I was putting a full quart in every 2 weeks to keep it full. It wasn't leaking anywhere...it was just consuming it.

Everyone will have different experiences with vehicles. Some good, some bad.

I'm not saying that they dont have not issues but I think a lot of it comes back to owner maintenance, 7500 OCI+ on regular dealer bulk oil, being under filled if you go "by the book", and then "IF" an issue does pop up and the 2.4L or 2.0L start burning oil the owners do not notice it and in turn the engines run very low on oil and then blow. And I'm also not saying that some of them came from the factory with a defect which SOME did but not all of them and not all of the 2.4 L or the 2.0 L turbo's are a ticking time bomb. Ive never had to warranty one of mine 2.4L or 2.0L Turbo engines, and they are NOT babied, but I keep a extremely strict regimen with the oil changes OEM filters now and 5 to 6000 miles max it works out to changing the oil twice a year.
And here's even another thought it appears most of spec books put the oil change amount at 4.5 QTS for the 2.4L... In ALL of my Hyundai Engines i've added almost an additional full qt of oil to bring it to the full mark on the stick. How many of these 2.0s and 2.4L are running 1 quart low right after an all change and then for the whole duration of the oil change interval... Heres a photo of the KIa engine and somewhere along the line "4.5 WF" was written with pen on the air intake. the 4.5 qts puts it just below the add mark on the stick. i had to add a additional 1.1 qts for it to be "full". Same with our Sonata 2.4L that will actually take almost 6 quarts(5.9) to bring it to the full mark after an hour drain...
I would rather a company be super transparent then to sweep things under the rug. Yeah it took Hyundai being sued but they did address and warranty way more motors then they should've in my opinion. I think a lot of these motors failed because of maintenance issues running low on oil etc... Hyundai is not a company with a squeaky clean record but everything is out in the open in terms of recalls, TSB, customer improvement programs, motor issues etc. and they do appear to address the people that do have issues a majority of the time. Again I'm not saying that they will not deny you because there are stories of people being denied but majority of the time Hyundai does work with the consumer and nine times out of 10 they do replace motors and address issues via TSB's or recalls.. I know it does not look great on paper but in my opinion again it's because everything's out in the open unlike some other manufacturers that hide very large issues or blame others.

OT: im taking the kia in today to have not 1, 2, but 3 different recalls done.. Its a 10 year old kia that is still supported at the dealer. They will do the knock sensor update for the lifetime warranty on the motor, then add a fuse into the AC wiring to prevent fires, and they are even going to rustproof the car again.. In my opinion there's not too many manufacturers that will still support and work on a 10+ year old car..

I know some will take this as me putting a Hyundai on a pedestal but I've owned a few different manufactured cars such as the Acura TL type S that blew the transmission before 80K miles and the dealer told us to kick sand even after changing the fluid ever 20K with OEM fluid or what about ford and the 3.8L, yep blew two those engines before 100,000K. neither one of those issues made the publicity the Hyundai's have had, but the Acura transmission would literally lock up at 80 miles an hour on the Thruway the potential of a crash, and the dealer looked the other way..

Thats my 2 cents plus some...

View attachment 88386
I really wanted to stop reading what you had to say after the first few sentences. First, you are a H/K fanboy, that’s okay, but a fanboy overlooks the negative and only highlights the positive. Second, those recalls…You must be confused how a recall works. Recalls typically have no expiration date, so of course the dealers will do it on a 10 year old car. The rustproofing recall is being done because it’s….a recall. Hyundai/Kia aren’t doing it out of the goodness of their heart. I suggest you research how recalls work, I’ll give you a hint, manufacturers don’t just wake up one day and say, “let’s be a nice company and issue a recall for our flaws and defects”. I also suggest you research about South Korean corporate business culture. They are tight lipped about everything, good thing we have governing bodies that protect the consumer is this regard. I’m sorry that your Acura and Ford had issues, did they pose an actual safety hazard though? Engine and transmission failures usually have warning symptoms before they fail. The Hyundai rod bearing failures often exhibit no warning signs before failing, giving the vehicle operator little to no chance to pull to safety.

Back