Hydrostatic fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford 120 from the 60's with the hydrostatic trans. Manual calls for type A tranny fluid. Local NAPA didn't have any (small town, only one parts store) and they weren't 100% sure what could replace it. So I didn't buy anything until I was sure. Is there anything else that is compatable or supercedes the type A? Is this stuff still available?

Thanks,
Richie

My guess is any hydraulic oil that has transmission specs would work. Hytrans oil from case is one example.

Richie, any idea what make/model hydrostatic drive it is? Lots of the old schoolers had sauer/sunstrand units. That being the case, a mercon/dexron universal ATF would work, as would a 5w-20 motor oil if it spec'd an ATF.

Joel

Thanks guys, haven't had the tractor long and no idea of how it was mantained before I got it so I wanted to change everything before I used it too much. We've been pretty lucky here and have only had 1" of snow. I'm really anxious to try it out, but I don't want to wish for snow!

Joel, I'm not sure which unit it has, but I'll probably go with the D/M III fluid.

Richie

Joel,
I noticed the tag on the hydro when putting the wheel weights on this afternoon, it is the Sunstrand unit.

Richie

Quote:

Joel,
I noticed the tag on the hydro when putting the wheel weights on this afternoon, it is the Sunstrand unit.

Richie

NICE! sauer-sunstrand is about as good as it gets. I believe the name was changed to sunstrand-danfoss years ago. They are alittle noisey (whiney), but are bullet proof. A good ATF, hydraulic fluid or 20wt motor oil will be fine in it.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back