Hydraulic problems - 2009 Challenger SRT/6-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend is having problems with a 2009 SRT (6.1) 6-spd (TR6060). He's helping a good friend out a lot on another matter, I thought I'd try to help him IF I could. The car is clean, 80k miles.

He says the clutch is not fully engaging/disengaging. he can do the "self bleed" proceedure of pumping the pedal many, many times and then things are ok. But as soon as he drives a few miles, sits without using the brakes, it reverts to not working (engaging/disengaging fully). he says also here's the ABS module activating when it should not. Slightly damp hoses here and there but no real leaks (or is that enough on these to cause real poblems?). He says he has bled all the brakes and the self-bleed system so it's all clean fluid, but the clutch issue reappears.

I know these cars have the slave cylinder inside the bell, and bleeding the slave is not straightforward. I also don't know how the brake and clutch are linked together here, unless it's just sharing a common reservoir?

Googling issues on these cars find a lot of issues with 1-2 shifts, synchros, but nothing quite like this. Trying to figure out how to decide if it's air in the slave, bad slave, or bad master cylinder.

Having seen similar behavior on other cars, it's not the master that does this, it's the slave. The seals are worn and it's sucking air when relaxed. If he pulls the trans, have him swap out the slave, not just bleed it.

A bad master will release the clutch fine on the first push and then start to drag more and more as you hold it.

I don't see how the ABS could be related; random activation is usually a wheel sensor going bad.

We put 5 slaves , 2 Masters and a line on my bosses keep. Worst design ever putting the slave inside the bell housing! We finally gave up and put the hydraulics outside. Advance adapters makes a kit. Maybe they make one for that car?

May as well change the clutch/cover/throwout while you have the tranny off.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Having seen similar behavior on other cars, it's not the master that does this, it's the slave. The seals are worn and it's sucking air when relaxed. If he pulls the trans, have him swap out the slave, not just bleed it.

A bad master will release the clutch fine on the first push and then start to drag more and more as you hold it.

I don't see how the ABS could be related; random activation is usually a wheel sensor going bad.

Agree with this (and others).

I also found a note that 2009 and 2010 Dodge 6 speeds had the wrong grease on the splines; it thickens and gums with age, preventing full input spline range as they age. Apparently 100% guarantee to fail at some point - some got lucky and it happened in warranty.

The internal slave design is just mind-boggling to me: Could never imagine such a stupid design, especially on a high performance car with a range of useage (dd, "spirited," track). Idiotic. And yeah, if the tranny comes out even for the grease, then clutch, slave, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back