Hydraulic log splitter leak

I have a 20 ton log splitter, probably 25 years old. It uses dexron 2 as a fluid.

It has a leak at the ram/piston. The rod is not scratched at all and looks smooth. So I think the seal is just old and brittle. Is this difficult to take apart and replace the seal? I've never taken apart a hydraulic ram, so o thought I would ask first.

I'll put up a pic, but the ram is fully retracted in this pic.

IMG_20200415_133342822_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200415_133317105_HDR.jpg

It's relatively easy with some basic tools. I did one last year for the first time and fingers crossed still works like it should. In my case I needed a vise, 1-1/8" or so socket, come-a-long, o-ring pic tools, grease, hammer, disposable gloves, and other miscellaneous tools.

I don't think it's too bad a job. Keep everything clean! I have heated the rod seal in hot water to make it more pliable. Seems to help and avoid possible damage vs installing it cold.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
One question have you ever replaced the fluid or the filter?

The fluid has been, due to leaking. I do need to change the filter.

FYI, my Tractor Supply store had Fram P1653A hydro filters on clearance (I think I paid $3/ea) to replace the somewhat expensive Speeco 390601A0.

I just changed mine yesterday on my 22 ton.

Update. Checking around with repair shops, this splitter is 30 years old. The company was later bought out by mtd. There are no cylinders available that will fit. There are no parts kits that i can find.

It uses dexron II so i have been using whatever dexron III i can find. ( Did not put dex6 in it. ).

So its basically non-repairable. Is there a heavier hydralic oil i could try? Would iso 68 hyraulic oil be too heavy? Would it be unsafe to try?

Thanks.

Update. Checking around with repair shops, this splitter is 30 years old. The company was later bought out by mtd. There are no cylinders available that will fit. There are no parts kits that i can find.

It uses dexron II so i have been using whatever dexron III i can find. ( Did not put dex6 in it. ).

So its basically non-repairable. Is there a heavier hydralic oil i could try? Would iso 68 hyraulic oil be too heavy? Would it be unsafe to try?

Thanks.

Check with a shop that does hydraulic cylinder repair, not small engine shops.
Check with your local tractor repair shops to see if they send cylinders somewhere for repair.
A shop that does a lot of cylinder work probably has access to the parts needed.
You may just have to leave the cylinder with them so they can disassemble, measure for seals, overhaul it and reassemble.

I can almost guarantee you that the rod is a standard size and the seal groove is a standard profile.

The sticky work is determining exactly the right specs for your application. Follow the advice above and take it to a hydraulics shop.

I can almost guarantee you that the rod is a standard size and the seal groove is a standard profile.

The sticky work is determining exactly the right specs for your application. Follow the advice above and take it to a hydraulics shop.

Probably so. The hydraulic shops around me told me that they may not be able to get parts for this ram. They want $200 to take it apart, which is fair. But if i spend $200 and there are no parts, thats a waste.

So i think i'll try some iso 68 and see if that helps, run it till it does not work well, then attempt to disassemble myself. Otherwise its a new splitter.

Back