Hydraulic Lifter Question for 02 Ford 3.8L Windsta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones where the thing in the middle doesn't pop up on it's own are bad, "collapsed", right?

These are from a 2002 Ford 3.8L Windstar, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know exactly how these work, but I thought they relied on oil pressure, so now that they are out and have no oil pressure they could all "collapse"

There was a tapping noise, only audible at idle. Also had a rough idle.

Soak them in a quart or so of clean motor oil

Good ones pump up with oil and become virtually solid. Squishy ones aren't completely filled with oil which means they aren't sealing properly. If you take one apart you'll see what's going on inside. Basically there's a one-way check valve (a little spring loaded ball bearing) that should let oil into the lifter but not let it out. If for some reason the check valve isn't able to close fully it allows oil to leak out and the lifter won't pump up. Usually it's just an accumulation of varnish or a piece of dirt preventing a full seal and cleaning will restore proper function

I can't get them apart. The push rod cups all come out, but nothing else. Will try soaking them and see if they break loose so I can get a look at the internals.

If they're stuck, would that cause a rough idle?

Usually if they're hung open, they cause a rough idle.

Those are probably gummed up or just slightly bound up and stuck where they are at.

Do they have a pin hole in the body for pressurized lube feed? If so, you can first try putting the tip of oil can up to them and trying to pressurize them apart. If that fails, try shop air, BUT- BE CAREFUL!!! Those little pistons can come out of there with surprising speed and force with 100+ psi air behind them!

I was afraid to suggest that.
lol.gif

Result of a sludged engine often is the case. Coked rings and stuck lifters can happen from too long of an OCI.

Seeing as how you can get a set of lifters for this engine for fairly cheap, I wouldn't bother cleaning the old ones unless it is a science experiment.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Seeing as how you can get a set of lifters for this engine for fairly cheap, I wouldn't bother cleaning the old ones unless it is a science experiment.

+1.
I rebuilt the engine in my daughter's Mustang and I didn't bother reusing the old ones. I hate doing repair work on something that could have been avoided.

Thanks for all of the info.

At this point it's academic; new lifters and pushrods are on the way.

Hopefully this will get rid of the tapping noise and rough idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back