HVAC Come Backs

How are "come backs" usually resolved with HVAC providers? A company I have used is trying to get me to pay for a final service call related to their inability to diagnose and repair a faulty furnace.

Here's the story:
On the first call, they reset the furnace and had me change out the filter for a less restrictive one. This did not resolve the problem.
One the second call, they replaced the blower motor. This did not resolve the problem.
One the third call, they said the heat exchanger was bad, and I needed a new furnace.

I decided to go with another company for the new furnace.

Today, I get an invoice from the first company for the third service call. I had paid them for the first two calls, which included the blower motor that I did not need.

I don't see why I should pay for the third call. It's a "come back" in my mind and relates to needs for fairness/responsibilty when someone pays for something that does not resolve a problem.

I wouldn't pay for the third call and I likely would have disputed the motor and had them put the original back in since it wasn't bad anyway. I fail to see a relationship between a blower motor and heat exchanger. The third call to tell you the heat exchanger is bad could be a way out of the situation for them. I would have asked for an image or proof of the cracked or rusted out heat exchanger.
I would place a review with the BBB as well.

Last edited:
I always try to find an owner operated company to do my HVAC.
When the owner runs around and do his own service, they always provide a better service and more honest if he does not know how to do it.

Tell them to go pound sand. You're not paying for their process of elimination.
Take me to court!

Sounds like a bad limiter switch......

Call Backs.

Call them and talk to them.
If they are a decent company, they should work with you.

In general, you paid a "service call fee" the first time they came out.
On a call back you should have only been charged their normal hourly rate.

It seems their technician's inability to correctly diagnose your system has cost you money.
That is what I would stick with.

Be firm, not rude.

Without knowing your state laws, I would assume they can file a lien on your property for failure to pay.

You can file with the BBB and/or small claims court.
You can also give them poor review on social media.

It is in everybody's best interest to come to a settlement.

Last edited:
These clowns being able to sell cheap brands of HVAC / AC / furnace is the reason these brands were bad despite their internal being very similar to each others.

This is why sometimes you are paying for the better brands who are more selective of who they allow to work on their equipment, or who they sell the parts to install. Some of the more complicated ones aren't easy to troubleshoot and if you aren't careful you can damage them then charge the manufacturer for it.

I'd go on youtube to check how to DIY diagnose before asking for another visit or replacement. You want to know instead of relying on others with no incentive to get it fixed for the lowest cost instead of the higher profit choices.

Back