Husqvarna String Trimmers: 223L, 323L, 326LS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a very lightweight, high quality string trimmer, and I've pretty much narrowed down to these three Husqvarna models:

223L ($250): http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/trimmers/223l/

323L ($300): http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/trimmers/323l/

326LS ($320): http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/trimmers/326ls/

They all weigh in at about 9lbs and have very similar specs. I think the 232L is the consumer grade model, and the 323L and 326LS models are more commercial grade models. I can't really tell what the extra $20 gets you with the 326LS over the 323L. Parts more durable maybe?!?

Anyone have these models or can comment on them? I don't mind paying for quality within reason and I'd like to stick with Husqvarna if possible as I have a local servicing dealer I use (though there is at least one local Stihl dealer I can think of). This string trimmer would be used for non-commercial (homeowner) purposes.

It's the 58.39'' tube length that scares me away from those. Most trimmers have a 59.0'' tube length with some of the Tanaka models having a 60.0'' tube length. But I guess it wouldn't matter if you're a short person.

Have you considered Honda 4 cycle, home Depot has them starting at $330, bigger engine displacement $360.
Honda quality, no oil and gas mix for few more dollars.

.6" to 1.61" longer tube length would make that much of a difference?!?

The current one I have that is almost toast is a curved shaft that I've had to hunch over to use for years... it's an old, little Weed Eater.

Originally Posted By: GreenFocus
Have you considered Honda 4 cycle, home Depot has them starting at $330, bigger engine displacement $360.
Honda quality, no oil and gas mix for few more dollars.

How heavy? Four cycle engines tend to add heft from my experiences.

The 326LS seems to lose the easy start and a few other features, the emissions and fuel consumption are lower, and it seems to make the power at a lower RPM. One of the reviews states it is worth the extra money over a 2 stroke? No oil mixing?

confused.gif

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
.6" to 1.61" longer tube length would make that much of a difference?!?

When it's a straight shaft it sure does. Curve shafts are easier on your back but they're hard to edge with.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
The 326LS seems to lose the easy start and a few other features, the emissions and fuel consumption are lower, and it seems to make the power at a lower RPM. One of the reviews states it is worth the extra money over a 2 stroke? No oil mixing?

confused.gif

That review is wrong, the 326LS definitely a 2-stroke, and is also listed in the professional landscaping lineup.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscape-and-groundcare/products/trimmers/husqvarna-trimmers/

Then my guess it that it is a "stratified" 2 stroke, similar to Stihl that have the low emission motor.

Much like Stihl, the plug position appears different between 323L and 326LS... as it is on Stihl with the "low emission" engine...

Then my guess it that it is a "stratified" 2 stroke, similar to Stihl that have the low emission motor.

Much like Stihl, the plug position appears different between 323L and 326LS... as it is on Stihl with the "low emission" engine...

Is the low emission engine as good as the "normal" 2-stroke on the 323L? As durable and/or powerful? Is the low emission model worth the extra $20 for homeowner use?

I'm still (thank GOD) using a Echo SRM2400 from 12-14 years ago. From what I've seen at home centers, mainly Lowe's and HD, new models do not allow for adjustments to the carb? Are any of the ones mentioned adjustable?

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

Is the low emission engine as good as the "normal" 2-stroke on the 323L? As durable and/or powerful? Is the low emission model worth the extra $20 for homeowner use?

I'm not even positive thats the difference I'm just looking at features and using the compare. The LS has an E-TechII engine, so if we can figure out what that means...

On a Stihl I would say probably worth it due to the somewhat lower noise and fuel consumption, but I don't know about the Husky. Hopefully someone who actually can verify will be along.

On a side note, I don't understand why these companies make this stuff so abstract on the websites...

Ah, Found this:

Quote:
E-TECH

E-TECH engines are optimized for power, environmental features and handling. They combine high power and low weight with reduced exhaust emissions and user-friendly features.

E-TECH II

E-TECH II engines comprise our X-TORQ two-stroke engines and our four-stroke engines. They represent the latest development in low emission engine technology. The engine is used in chainsaws, clearing saws, trimmers and leaf blowers.

See also:

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/forest/x-torq/x-torq-products/

Last edited:
Ended up buying the 323L. Dealer priced it under MSRP and I was impressed with the quality and light weight. It seemed to be the best fit.

As a side note, Husqvarna will double the warranty to 4 years on many of their handheld OPE when you purchase three 32oz containers of Husqvarna branded pre-mix fuel. Since dealer charged $7.99 per container, I doubled my warranty and now have years worth of fuel for about $24. And since I bought at a dealership, they handle the warranty extension. Not a bad deal at all I think.

I've got a 326LS and it's a great trimmer. I like it better than any of the Stihls or Echos I've had. An inch or so one way or another sure wouldn't make any big difference. I can honestly say, that would have never occurred to me when buying one, and I've had a few, to say the least. Easy start is no big deal either, mine starts in one or two pulls, even cold. I often wonder if I just got a good starting one or what, but a lot of times, I choke it, pull and it starts and I flip the choke off and it just warms up. It has all the power I need for our rather large rural yard and field. I did have a Stihl for 13 years that I liked, but if I'd had a chance to use a 326LS, I'd have bought this one sooner, instead of waiting til the Stihl died.

I bought a 323L on 2004. It is light and the second most powerful weed eater I ever used. The most powerful was a Shindawia I used on the road crew during summer break years ago - but it weighed 20 pounds. You will be very happy with the 323L.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Are any of the ones mentioned adjustable?

They're adjustable, but you gotta pull out the tamper proof plugs and buy the special proprietary screwdrivers. The days of easily accessible HI and LOW speed mixture screws are over.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Are any of the ones mentioned adjustable?

They're adjustable, but you gotta pull out the tamper proof plugs and buy the special proprietary screwdrivers. The days of easily accessible HI and LOW speed mixture screws are over.

I didn't realize that, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back