Hummer sold to China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicles like the Hummer are one of the reasons GM is in its current predicament. They should be happy it's gone.

GM managed to water itself down with a whole bunch of low volume brands rather than focus on the quality of their bread and butter brands. They've let their core brand quality slip for such a long time, now that they have actually turned around and are making some decent vehicles no one trusts them.

I genuinely hope they get through this and come out stronger. Either way it will be an interesting ride.

The fact is that the U.S. and it's history of domination in the automobile manufacturing business is at an end. Even our own government (and by facto...it's populace) has seen to it that what is left in this country will be so heavily regulated, controlled, and subsidized, that a new social order has become the norm. Globalism is the goal and we are well on our way. That 'shining city on the hill' that so many nations have aspired to is being reduced to just another country that 'used' to be great.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
heavyhitterWhat bothers me though is that BAE is a German company said:
Yes you are right,the article I read said that if BAE got the contract it would be made in a plant in Germany, through a Germany contractor.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a0Erg3Bcoz74&refer=home

Quote:

...Tengzhong, a privately owned maker of special-use vehicles...

...Geely, China’s biggest private automaker...

Privately owned?

Didn't we use to have "privately owned" companies in the USA?

56.gif

I wonder if b/c they can 'afford' to make less money on Hummers, we will see a price drop on Hummers, to make them more competitive in the market, and move more units.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
There are still Hummer buyers in the US. The new owners would be foolish to completly ignore the US market.

Of course the buyer is smart, they will export the car from China to US. They buy Hummer just to buy technology, they can make it themselves cheaper in China. Look what happen to Ssangyong when China bought them.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I didn't realize there were really any 100% privately owned corporations of this size in China.

In China anything private can be owned by Government any time, the government is well known to create new rules that benefits them. Don't they bid for GM to that is also private company backed by Beijing Government ?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I always wanted a Hummer in China.

There are many already in China especially on big city like Shanghai and Beijing, but of course Buick Lacrosse and GL8 is more common

Quote:

Doubtful. Looks like the top replacement choice for the Humvee is from BAE Systems.

The Hummer was actually not very reliable and some had MPG of only 5 MPG.

What bothers me though is that BAE is a German company, Id like to see our soldiers riding in vehicles made in America by an American company.

BAE Systems is a British company. British Aerospace Systems.

The US BAE Systems is the US subsidiary of BAE.

The Humvee replacement was designed and will be built in Texas.
http://www.i4u.com/article15794.html
http://www.baesystems.com/WorldwideLocations/UnitedStates/

Lockheed has no real ground vehicle capability and Navstar is weak on military vehicles, they just make more of the same.

I would prefer to see our soldiers riding in the best vehicle for the job.
34.gif

Please don't. We don't need him either. Although, it might (insert R&P comment here). Japanese politics has enough problems without HBO being here.

Originally Posted By: Shaman
Please don't. We don't need him either. Although, it might (insert R&P comment here). Japanese politics has enough problems without HBO being here.

OK. How's about if we PAY you to take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back