Chrysler to Halt Production at All Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aRa0jVzM922w&refer=home
Quote:
Dec. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Chrysler LLC, the third-largest U.S. automaker, will close all 30 of its plants for at least a month at the end of shifts on Dec. 19 as it combats plummeting demand for vehicles.

The earliest the operations will come back on line is Jan. 19, the Auburn Hills, Michigan-based company said in a statement today.

Chrysler’s decision to suspend production comes after a 47 percent decline in U.S. sales in November. The automaker has asked for emergency bridge financing from the U.S. government to avoid collapse.

Two factories in Toledo, Ohio, that make the Jeep Liberty, Dodge Nitro and Jeep Wrangler will be closed until Jan. 26. The minivan plant in Windsor, Ontario and the Dodge Viper operations in Detroit will shut until Feb. 2, said Shawn Morgan, a Chrysler spokeswoman.

It might help if they sold the vehicles on there lots 1st, and then started making cars again. I am sorry, nobody wants there cars.

What about the Dodge Challenger.

Well... At least some of the hourly workers will be paid FULL for the time off...
smirk2.gif

What a deal. Maybe they can spend the time looking for a job that pays 1/4 or less (of what they are making now) once they enter the REAL world.

Some of them WILL be needing a job in the near future.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I wish I was a UAW worker, GET PAID TO STAY HOME, 95% OF MY PAY, $28/HOUR!

Reality will hit them sooner than later. (but there will be a bail out for them)
smirk2.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if their done. They may shutdown this week and file for BK Jan 1st. If they go BK I don't think they will go CH11. They will probably just liquidate. They really don't have much of marketable product line anymore.

Here comes the bankruptcy----
Chyrsler is done. They will be rolled into GM or will go away altogether. Bailout or no bailout, it won't matter. Who will buy any of their vehicles with a cloud hanging over them?? Warranty issues not to mention long term parts issues. I feel sorry for any recent Chrysler buyers. Resale is going to be atrocious going forward.

Must be a wonderful thing to get your salary while sitting home.

According to heathenbrewing, Chrysler's fault lies squarely with the CEO's:

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
The Big 3 are run by greedy CEO's that look at how to fatten their paycheck...

Actually, most Chrysler products have had terrible resale for quite some time. Years ago when I sold Dodges for a short time, it was impossible to sell new Intrepids or Stratus's; the depreciation made them used cars only. I think their new truck is probably very good and so is the Cummins diesel engines they use. Maybe they can incorporate the chassis and engines into rebodied GM trucks.

everyone is hurting right now, it's just that chrysler appears the be the most unhealthy.
I think chrysler was on the right track when they dumped plymouth; they just didn't go far enough. jeep needs to be dropped to like 2 models, 3 tops (wrangler of course, and a V8 wagoneer, maybe the liberty), dodge should just be ram full size, a budget small car, the charger, the minivan and the challenger. chrysler could be the 300, and um, I guess that's it. I'd assume they make money on the viper, but that could be spun off as it's own entity.
when you think about it, chrysler has a lot of potential; they have the best minivan, and the widest variety of real rear wheel drive cars of all the domestics, and the original SUV. just capitalize on the strengths and dump the fluff.
all that nitro, caliber and other chrap just needs to be buried.

Originally Posted By: JDD
Chyrsler is done. They will be rolled into GM or will go away altogether. Bailout or no bailout, it won't matter. Who will buy any of their vehicles with a cloud hanging over them?? Warranty issues not to mention long term parts issues. I feel sorry for any recent Chrysler buyers. Resale is going to be atrocious going forward.

FYI..if you read the full article it states that a 2 week shutdown is normal for this time of year.

Who will buy any of their vehicles with a cloud hanging over them??

I will, if the price is right. I've never even had a warranty on any of the cars I've owned (the one exception being a Toyota, which was an absolute POS), aftermarket parts will still be around (I don't think I've ever used anything but aftermarket parts), and there will still be independent mechanics to handle the jobs I simply can't do myself.

Quote:
Some of them WILL be needing a job in the near future.

..'BOUT EFFIN TIME!!! THAT WILL TEACH 'EM!!!
grin2.gif

All we need to do now is to trim a little fat off of the constitution ...repeal a few labor laws here and there..child education requirements (like school being part of every kid's routine)....accept the notion that "medical treatment" isn't something that a sick person should get....include housing and the ability to feed themselves..and everyone can be happy.

crackmeup2.gif

I think the general consensus is that Chrysler does make vehicles that people want, they just can't afford them. Give me a Hemi Charger or a Challenger RT for under thirty grand. Don't offer me a "muscle car" with a V-6 instead. Until then I'll look at what For has to offer.

Chrysler has long been following the path of AMC, and this is (to me) the writing on the wall. AMC had the Javelin, the Matador, and the Concours, which were in demand. The problem was that when you bought one you payed waaay more for it than you did the comparable Ford or GM model, which was inarguably built better than the AMC. Chrysler is following the same lead.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001

FYI..if you read the full article it states that a 2 week shutdown is normal for this time of year.

FYI...if you read the full article it states that the close down is for MORE then the normal 2 weeks.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
I think the general consensus is that Chrysler does make vehicles that people want, they just can't afford them. Give me a Hemi Charger or a Challenger RT for under thirty grand. Don't offer me a "muscle car" with a V-6 instead. Until then I'll look at what For has to offer.

Chrysler has long been following the path of AMC, and this is (to me) the writing on the wall. AMC had the Javelin, the Matador, and the Concours, which were in demand. The problem was that when you bought one you payed waaay more for it than you did the comparable Ford or GM model, which was inarguably built better than the AMC. Chrysler is following the same lead.

Nope wrong. Not many people want a Chyrsler product.

If you compare the demographics of Honda/Toyota owners against those that would by a Chrysler product, you would find a substantial difference in social-economic metrics, and their level of general intelligence.

What is killing Chrysler is that the dumb people today have less money then a year or two ago...

Chrysler should have immulated the model line up of Honda and Toyota, and if they had, they would not be in the mess they are in today. Doing this would also attract smarter people, the type that would be a bit less impacted by a recession, and high gas prices.

Chrysler is the picture of everything wrong with the USA. Excess. Showboating. Not counting the cost. Buy now, pay later. No sense of delayed gratification. Big fat trucks and SUV's and the financial future of the family be [censored].

They make big V8 cars and trucks that get sheet MPG, lower then average reliability, and sheet resale value. So tell me, when a person buys a car from Chrysler, what does it say about him?

See what I mean about the differences in demographics?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back