Hummer Global Debut

So if they have 2x axle torque and then 2x diameter wheel, would that be "meaningless" when compare to something with 1/2 the torque but 1/2 diameter wheel?

An article regarding the axle torque figures.
They aren’t comparing correctly. The Ram they say is 15,000+ torque, in first gear with a 4.10 rear axle, at 1356 rpm. What’s that, 10 mph? There are no gas or diesel motors going to 150 mph in first gear with a 3.75 first gear and a 4.10 axle. Ev motors can be made less powerful in torque, but running at a higher speed with more gear reduction makes the torque output higher than motors with more torque and less gear reduction. It’s completely different thinking than ice but the principles are the same. The Prius has been using less powerful motors as the series develops and so did GM, to gain efficiency with the same or more performance. They keep making the ev motors spin faster.

They aren’t comparing correctly. The Ram they say is 15,000+ torque, in first gear with a 4.10 rear axle, at 1356 rpm. What’s that, 10 mph? There are no gas or diesel motors going to 150 mph in first gear with a 3.75 first gear and a 4.10 axle.
Torque is torque, it's not power, that's all they're comparing. And yes it only applies in the rev ranges where that torque can be achieved, much more limiting for the ICE.
Ev motors can be made less powerful in torque, but running at a higher speed with more gear reduction makes the torque output higher than motors with more torque and less gear reduction.
Of course, call the same power. The point of the article is that quoting motor torque for EVs is pointless because the motor characteristics and gear ratio(s) are widely variable, each optimised to the vehicle application. The only option for simple torque specifications is to quote wheel torque which is more applicable at lower speeds for EVs, while the ICE maximum wheel torque is only applicable at the speeds in each gear when the engine is at it's torque peak.

334 mile range(?) I’d assume range figures in something like this will vary wildly with the type of tires installed.

The first “Edition 1” models will come with Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires. Very chunky. The all-season equppped models will probably meet the originally quoted 350+ mile range.

Last edited:
334 mile range(?) I’d assume range figures in something like this will vary wildly with the type of tires installed.

The first “Edition 1” models will come with Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires. Very chunky. The all-season equppped models will probably meet the originally quoted 350+ mile range.

Latest news - the first editions trucks range has been derated from 350+ to 329.

Apparently it weighs 9K+

Thats pretty funny, seen a bunch of memes with guy putting honda 2K's in the trunk.

I think it ought to do pretty well off-road except for sand. Which I do a lot of....

Thats pretty funny, seen a bunch of memes with guy putting honda 2K's in the trunk.

I think it ought to do pretty well off-road except for sand. Which I do a lot of....
If the motors can turn independently like traction motors on a locomotive it might not be too bad.

I wonder what the range is off road? I’d be hesitant to take this on a road trip exploring out west with the current state of EV infrastructure.

If the motors can turn independently like traction motors on a locomotive it might not be too bad.

I wonder what the range is off road? I’d be hesitant to take this on a road trip exploring out west with the current state of EV infrastructure.

Id love to see some actual data.

Without aero coming into play probably not terrible, but definitely off highway range.

With all that torque at o RPM with the right traction software its probably bitchin.

I agree on exploring - that has all kinds of implication.
Im not going to really explore with a 100K truck regardless of its power plants.

On numbered trails close to a charger endpoint I'D have no issue with it, Id just work my up range wise to see what I can expect on what degree of trail.

Finally some decent DCFC info. Held 290-300kw for quite a while. Not a ton of details, but it took-in 50.1kwh in 10 minutes. 81.6kwh in 17 minutes.

Silverado EV could be pretty impressive. The same battery but much more range and lower cost. No 35” M/T tires, 4WS, off-road armoring, removable glass roof, etc.

D90FA58A-3968-41E1-A01E-8ACAA50D7740.jpeg

ECC738BC-CAE6-4F54-B2A0-3BD79F5F52F1.jpeg

Last edited:
I was behind a Hummer EV a few days ago on the freeway (southeast MI so I come across preproduction and other vehicles occasionally). It looked pretty nice

Do we know how many miles per KWH the rig gets at 70MPH?

Seems to roll off hard at 53%.

Last edited:
That charging speed is crazy.

Saw one of these in the wild for the first time a few days back, looks pretty good!

470 miles of range per hour. At least initially. Or 7.8 miles per minute.

by way of comparison my Ecobooat F150 charges at 150 miles per minute or 9000 miles range per hour. And it’s fill rate remains fast till the end

InsideEVs 70-MPH range test. I won’t spoil the results…

Would be interesting to see the same test with all-season tires vs. the stock, chunky 35” off-road MT tires. That’s probably what helps the Silverado the most to achieving 400+ miles.

Last edited:
InsideEVs 70-MPH range test. I won’t spoil the results…

Would be interesting to see the same test with all-season tires vs. the stock, chunky 35” off-road MT tires. That’s probably what helps the Silverado the most to achieving 400+ miles.

1.6mi per KWH- terrible for a BVE, but unsurprising.

53.928 MPGE. still cheaper to drive than all but the cheapest autos.

Back