HumbleMechanic- carbon buildup on 10k mile 2019 Golf R

I put 158K miles on my 2007 MS3 and never cleaned the valves; it was running great when I flipped it for-Horrors!-another GDI turbo(an M235i). No issues with the N55 so far; ditto for the N20 in my wife's X1.
I don't know how I'm able to sleep at night...

Originally Posted by pbm
IMO, GDI (and GDI Turbo in particular) are not fully developed technologies....and the consumer is paying the price.
They are a response to government mandated fuel economy requirements (from a gov't that can't even balance it's checkbook).

I would avoid several brands (like VW) until the technology is mature....

I agree. ↑↑↑↑

Originally Posted by MCompact
I put 158K miles on my 2007 MS3 and never cleaned the valves; it was running great when I flipped it for-Horrors!-another GDI turbo(an M235i). No issues with the N55 so far; ditto for the N20 in my wife's X1.

I agree with you in the grand scheme. If I needed to clean past 125k miles, that's not a big deal. But that this occurred at 10k miles on a meticulously cared for car isn't great either.

Originally Posted by wemay
At 10k miles?! Wow.

So much for:
Italian tune-up
Euro oils ( he's done two 5k mi intervals with VW508)
Low Noack
Synthetic oils in general
Top Tier
and
Catch cans

None of this appears to be working.

Almost forgot to add to list above...

Premium fuel
Oil additives

After communicating with another Bitog member, he pointed out that the Humblemechanic has discussed the correct oil for the GR in a recent video and it's 0W-30 VW504.00 spec. The oil in this video appears to be that and not the 0W-20 508 spec that is dyed green. So the humblemechanic may have misspoken.

https://youtu.be/RakLAZIRgwU

After communicating with another Bitog member, he pointed out that the Humblemechanic has discussed the correct oil for the GR in a recent video and it's 0W-30 VW504.00 spec. The oil in this video appears to be that and not the 0W-20 508 spec that is dyed green. So the humblemechanic may have misspoken.

https://youtu.be/RakLAZIRgwU

Current Golf R was VW502.00 and now is VW504.00/507.00.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by skyactiv
VW and Audi gas direct injection turbo engines feel better to drive than other makers, but at the cost of intake valve deposits. I don't think you can have the best of all worlds.

You can. It's called "port AND direct injection"

Not exactly cutting edge technology.

And Toyota has been using port and direct injection (D4-S) since VW introduced the 2.0T FSI engine to North America, so that's around 15 years Toyota/Lexus has been doing port and direct injection

I agree with you in the grand scheme. If I needed to clean past 125k miles, that's not a big deal. But that this occurred at 10k miles on a meticulously cared for car isn't great either.

Indeed. Who cares. People blabbering about how the build up is just awful..yadda yadda yadda... I just give them my own vehicle as an anecdotal example of how bad DI buildup is for my vehicle. The buildup on my N55 is so bad that at 55k miles I still beat the advertised hwy mpgs by 2 mpg.

Yes, my hwy mpgs exceed what is advertised. The horror !!!

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by skyactiv
VW and Audi gas direct injection turbo engines feel better to drive than other makers, but at the cost of intake valve deposits. I don't think you can have the best of all worlds.

You can. It's called "port AND direct injection"

Not exactly cutting edge technology.

And Toyota has been using port and direct injection (D4-S) since VW introduced the 2.0T FSI engine to North America, so that's around 15 years Toyota/Lexus has been doing port and direct injection

VW does use the dual system just not in the US.

We Bitoger's are always looking for the cleanest, optimum running engine possible and the knee-jerk reaction here is to gasp in horror (guilty), but when you take a step back and realize how many folks actually experience zero issues with IVD, it puts things into perspective. (not saying the deposits aren't there)

We have no idea if continued formation will remain proportional per 10K mile increments or at what levels these deposits introduce drivability issues.

Everything is a case-by-case basis, but I think problems arising from IVDs is well-documented enough that it's obviously something to try to avoid and the results here are still disappointing.

My biggest issue is not necessarily the mileage, but it's the extent to which he went to avoid IVD formation to no avail. Whether it's 10k miles or 75k miles, if I went to that extent to avoid the issue but still ended up experiencing drivability issues stemming from IVD, then I'd be disappointed. Obviously, the disappointment fades as mileage increases and you have to factor in the increased performance over that mileage.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Everything is a case-by-case basis, but I think problems arising from IVDs is well-documented enough that it's obviously something to try to avoid and the results here are still disappointing.

My biggest issue is not necessarily the mileage, but it's the extent to which he went to avoid IVD formation to no avail. Whether it's 10k miles or 75k miles, if I went to that extent to avoid the issue but still ended up experiencing drivability issues stemming from IVD, then I'd be disappointed. Obviously, the disappointment fades as mileage increases and you have to factor in the increased performance over that mileage.

100% agree. I was surprised that after this level of preparedness, the results were as seen. I won't be going overboard on my VW, just like i haven't on any of my Hyundai vehicles.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Indeed. Who cares. People blabbering about how the build up is just awful..yadda yadda yadda... I just give them my own vehicle as an anecdotal example of how bad DI buildup is for my vehicle. The buildup on my N55 is so bad that at 55k miles I still beat the advertised hwy mpgs by 2 mpg.

I guess those of us who adopted this "new fangled" technology will just have to continue living on the ragged edge...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I guess those of us who adopted this "new fangled" technology will just have to continue living on the ragged edge...

This truly is the 'bottom line" for the vast VAST majority of owners. Bitog gives out too many magnifying glasses.

Back