Hub Rings-Hub spacers?

DR1

My 2008 Nissan Titan has a hub bore of 77.8mm. I just bought some customs wheels with the same lug pattern ,etc but they hub bore is 78.1mm
The tire shop said I need hub spacers to fill in the space to eliminate the vibration in my truck.

What size hub rings/hub spacers do I need install to take care of this problem?

Math says .3mm but I seriously doubt anyone makes them that thin.

.3mm sounds like the slight difference needed between the OD of the hub and ID of the wheel, meaning it probably fits correctly without any kind of adapter ring.

I would just try them, probably quarter of the cars here run universal fit rims steel rims for winters with no hub spacers and have no problems...

I would just try them, probably quarter of the cars here run universal fit rims steel rims for winters with no hub spacers and have no problems...
My truck is now vibrating at different speeds. Can I just google .3mm hub rings?

.3mm sounds like the slight difference needed between the OD of the hub and ID of the wheel, meaning it probably fits correctly without any kind of adapter ring.
The manager at Discount Tire said I need hub rings. He said he could see it with his own eyes while I was inside waiting

Does Titan have lug centric or hub centric? If your lugs are tapered where the contact the rim AND your rims have that matching taper you should be good. If rims have straight holes and lugs sit with a flat area than you need the spacers.

My Sequoia was hub centric for the alloys BUT the steel spare was lug centric also. Sequoia lug nut

sequoia lug.jpg

You are looking for centering rings with 77.8mm ID and 78.1mm OD. But I don't think those exist... 0.15mm is like 6 thou... which is getting close to engine bearing tolerance ranges.
I would try getting another shop to balance your tires, and check if the wheels and tires are actually round. I don't think a wheel uncentered by 0.15mm is significant and your shop is looking for excuses, for either bad rims or tires or balancing, or all 3.

The manager at Discount Tire said I need hub rings. He said he could see it with his own eyes while I was inside waiting
Last hub rings I needed I purchased from Discount Tireabout 8 or 9 months ago. They had them in stock. Would seem they should be able to order for you if they do not have on stock.

There are also a couple of myths involving hub centric rings.

The first myth is that if you don’t use a hub centric ring, the wheel will never be centered on the axle, leading to uncomfortable wheel vibrations while driving. While it is more likely that the wheel will be off center without the use of hub centric rings, it is not impossible to center the wheel by following proper installation technique. However, Summit Racing recommends the use of hub centric rings to improve the ride quality of the wheel. The rings improve ride quality by holding the wheel centered while it is torqued down.

According to a second common myth, the weight of the vehicle is supported by the hub pilot mating with the center bore of the wheel. If you don’t use hub centric rings, you transfer the weight of the vehicle to the lug hardware, and the wheel studs will break.

Fact is, the hub centric rings do not bear a load. The weight of the vehicle is actually supported by the friction between the wheel and its mounting surface on the axle. The friction is established and maintained once the lug hardware is properly installed and torqued to specs.

My 2008 Nissan Titan has a hub bore of 77.8mm. I just bought some customs wheels with the same lug pattern ,etc but they hub bore is 78.1mm
The tire shop said I need hub spacers to fill in the space to eliminate the vibration in my truck.

What size hub rings/hub spacers do I need install to take care of this problem?
I have a set of centric rings 73-260.1 not sure if they will work for you.

0.3 mm = 0.012"

That's enough to throw off a tire and cause a vibration Rule of thumb is that every 0.001" = 1# of uniformity, and some cars are sensitive to 10#! And this would on top of the balance and assembly uniformity.

A soda or beer can has a thickness of .1 to .2mm. If there are no viable ring options to buy, cut a can and make something that fits in a single layer around the hub bore and maybe folds slightly inward around the outer edge. Mount up the wheel over the aluminum and give it a spin to see if the vibration is reduced. Ghetto, but might work.

The only hopeful news is that the wheels could be lug centric. If not you may have to opt for wheel spacers with the correct wheel ring designed into the spacer. if you purchased these wheels from a major retailor and there's no tires mounted on them, you should get your money back or locate the correct center bore or a larger center bore so that you can opt for the correct wheel rings. The.3mm is too close and not enough meat on the wheel with to support the wheel to the hub.

Back