Hub Centering Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
I need to order some centering rings in order to reduce the size of the wheels from (Mazda)67.1mm down to (Honda) 64.1mm for the winter wheels & tires to fit correctly. Everything else being equal as these winter wheels are Tire Rack steelies with winter tires in which the tires are also equal in size(195-65-15) and the wheel/hub lugs being 114.3mm.

My question is, are the plastic centering rings OK to use or should I just order aluminum?

I have plastic rings for my winter wheels and they seem to be fine, I was worried that they would break or disappear but they are a lot more durable than I had expected.

Plastic works fine, as all the hub ring is doing is centering your wheel to the hub bore. Your Lug nuts/Studs see the load from driving.

Is the bolt spacing and pattern correct? Centering rings won't deal with that.

I've had several wheels with centering rings and they've all been fine. Just have to remember to check that the ring is still there every time you change those wheels.

I'm pretty sure they just center the wheel so it will be in the correct place when the bolts are tightened down - doubt there's any load on them afterwards.

I never use them. The lug nuts centre the wheel.

Many 4-bolt Mazda and Honda wheels are interchangeable with identical wheel / lug dimensions.

For my winter tire set(s), I use aluminum wheels on everything except the truck, which gets OEM steel wheels for both the winter and summer sets.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Is the bolt spacing and pattern correct? Centering rings won't deal with that.

Yes both are 5x114.3mm

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Nobody makes centering rings for steel wheels.

I have found centering rings that are exactly what I need on ebay and other sites.
OD: 67.1mm - ID: 64.1mm. I am going from steel wheels to steel wheels. Are you saying that these WILL NOT WORK?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I have found centering rings that are exactly what I need on ebay and other sites.
OD: 67.1mm - ID: 64.1mm. I am going from steel wheels to steel wheels. Are you saying that these WILL NOT WORK?

The lip of a steel wheel is different than the lip of an aluminium wheel. Generic fit aluminium wheels (which is what hub rings are for), have a cutout on the hub to allow the ring to fit, and be held against the hub. I have a feeling it will not fit on a steel wheel. In my 20 years as a tech, I have never seen a hub ring on a steel wheel. Better off getting a proper steel wheel that fits properly.

The lip of a steel wheel is different than the lip of an aluminium wheel. Generic fit aluminium wheels (which is what hub rings are for), have a cutout on the hub to allow the ring to fit, and be held against the hub. I have a feeling it will not fit on a steel wheel. In my 20 years as a tech, I have never seen a hub ring on a steel wheel. Better off getting a proper steel wheel that fits properly.

Of course you haven't seen centering rings on steel wheels. Why would anyone but me try this?
smile.gif

I have aftermarket aluminum wheels for another car with proper centering rings and I know about the lip that you're talking about.

I will look into this and post the results. In 46 yrs of working on vehicles, you wouldn't believe the stuff I've tried. Not that I don't have questions like this now & again.

I will post after I order the(PLASTIC) centering rings and test fit them.
For only about $5 for the 4 rings, if it doesn't work, not a big deal. I believe I saw aluminum for ~$10/4

Last edited:

Of course you haven't seen centering rings on steel wheels. Why would anyone but me try this?
smile.gif

I have aftermarket aluminum wheels for another car with proper centering rings and I know about the lip that you're talking about.

I will look into this and post the results. In 46 yrs of working on vehicles, you wouldn't believe the stuff I've tried. Not that I don't have questions like this now & again.

For only about $5 for the 4 rings, if it doesn't work, not a big deal. I believe I saw aluminum for ~$10/4

Char Baby = Rebel!

I'd probably just tighten while lifted in the air and see .. would probably work fine without rings too.

smile.gif

Let us know how it goes!

[Quote: mightymousetech]
Let us know how it goes!
I will indeed, thank you for the information. It gave me something to think about.

Most of the time, from what I've seen, centering rings are sloppy, and fit like [censored]. So you would be better without. Sure it's best to have a snug fitting wheel, which most are. What is most important, is that the lug holes are dead-nuts on for any wheel. I've ran several aftermarket wheels with no hub centering just fine. It's all about the bolt circle being in the center of the wheel. A lot of times you can tell something is not right when it takes more than one round with a torque wrench to come up to torque. You have a problem if you come back around to check the torque, and they keep on turning. Then you can even end up with a lug nut jammed on the stud, or couple of broken studs. Like what happens when some genius figures that 114.3mm/4.5" and 115mm bolt patterns are interchangeable. People with 120mm and 120.7/4@3/4" do the same thing. IT is not right.

I’ve had many aftermarket wheels and used centering ring for years. Decades

Last year was the first time I used Al rings and I have to say that I will not use the cheap Gorilla rings again. There is much more precision and even if it doesn’t center better, it just feels better.

For an entirely different set of wheels(aftermarket aluminum) than what I am talking about in this thread, I do in fact have 2 sets of centering rings. 1 plastic(Toyota) & 1 aluminum(Nissan) as I've used these particular wheels on a Camry & an Altima. Both the plastic & aluminum have worked well for both.

Since both types are relatively inexpensive, I may get the aluminum for my steel to steel application that this thread is subject toward.

Last edited:
My 1969 GTO with Cragar S/S unilugs may be the poster child for needing wheel centering. I bought some plastic hub centric rings (Summit Racing has a huge listing for them) for it and BOOM. Smoooooth. That was years ago and they still do the trick. I bought 2 sets, thinking plastic would be a use it once and throw it away thing, but still have the originals in service after plenty of times off.

Last edited:
Another vote for just don't bother. When I was tracking and autocrossing my Miata I never used them. If you take even just the most minimum of care putting the lugs on the wheel you're not going to have a probem. The nuts and seats are conical and will center the wheel up where it should be just fine all on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back