HTHS for Total Quartz Racing 10w-60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to compare 10w-60 oils for the e90 BMW M3 to pick the "best" oil for the M3 since BMW no longer preaches the TWS gospel. I can find the HTHS for most of these oils, but not for this Total oil. Anybody know? Thanks for any help

Here's an UOA I found some times ago when I was looking for insight about Quartz 10W60 :

c4fd96b0-a8e1-46ac-a706-d6a9233dbe9f.jpg

This is not mine and frankly I don't remember where I found it, so sorry for not quoting the source
spankme2.gif

Thank you for sending in a sample, I'm looking forward to see it.

I tried (undirectly) this oil and it didn't suit the car, but there was other factors.

That is an interesting UOA. No moly to speak of, no titanium, no boron, no silicon. Strong but not overly so phosphurous and zinc. Super base stocks and unidentified organics carrying this one? I'm just asking out of ignorance.

The viscosity numbers, assuming for the moment that it has not sheared down much (awaiting your VOA) look like the values normally associated with a POE 0W40/5W40 like Redline. Those are the weights I have generally used and didn't the need in my use to go up to the 20/10W50/60 as temps hung in there and nothing flew out the side.

I wonder if the HTHSv would more closely govern what you need rather than the stated viscosity although I am aware of your spec requirements. Just thinking out loud.

Edit - Sorry I just noticed that it is the HTHS you are asking about.

Last edited:
It also appeared to my untrained eyes as quite a weak sauce...but I'll leave comment to other "in the know"^^
It would be interesting to compare with Quartz 10W50 as this one is carrying SN and ACEA specs the 10W60 doesn't, but I'm not sure a voa will tell everything.

You have probably found this already, but here is a VOA of Castrol 10W60 from m6pwr.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2988455

aluminum 8
iron 1
silicon 7
titanium 47
moly 198
boron 59
calcium 2823
phosphorous 804
zinc 922

vis 100 C 20.7
base number 10.8
oxidation (abs/cm) 8
nitration (abs/cm) 4

My Castro product data sheets says Edge 10W-60 should have a TBN of 11.2 and a HTHS of 5.1

It's API SN and ACAE A3/B4 rated.

For comparison, Castrol
Edge5W-30 (A3/B4) has a HTHS of 3.6
Edge 25W-50 (SG) has a HTHS of 6.1
GTX 15W-40 (SN, A3/B3) has a HTHS of 3.95

Yes sorry, not the question you asked, but it's all I had, and it may be of interest some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back