HPL cleaning 2013 Hyundai Elantra - cut filter element

Not looking for you to prove anything, just curious as to how you arrived at your conclusion. Thanks!

Hey, no problem. On one, I can "see" improvement, again, suspecting (impressive) cleaning of a piston ring or two, .. maybe.. the other one, sounding smoother if that makes any sense. Will continue to listen.

In both cases, I used the HPL products and I did notice result. It's GREAT oil and I've tried more than a few.

Looking forward to seeing you at the event, you may very well win the distance award lol.

I think Shel was talking about squeezing the filter *media* in a vise. Some BITOG posters do this after cutting the filter open and removing the media. They just stack up the folded media, wrap it in a cloth or something and put the stack in their bench vise.
You can also soak most of the oil out with absorbent material such a paper towels, even before cutting the media, with less risk of shifting particles from the position they were in. This is slow, but removes oil more thoroughly than simply letting the media drip.

This reminds me of the same conclusion I came to with my 2012 Hyundai Accent with a similar GDI engine. These are some of the dirtiest engines I've ever come across.

My son drives our 2014 Kia Rio (Same engine.) It's gotten Synthetic mostly (sometimes synthetic blend) every 5K. The oil does seem to be dirty when I drain it. Oil level stayed full every interval until we hit around 105K. Burns a little bit now. Not too bad, but I keep an eye on it. Car is at 129K as of yesterday.

Filters are usually WIX, but used several Champ Labs COS359A when they were on Clearance at RA. Looked fine when cut open.

I am 300 miles into my EC test at the recommended 5:1 ratio, I know it is still too early to come to any conclusions.

This is in a J35 series engine, which has a mildly varnished front bank, oil still looks clean and looking down the oil fill hole, still see the varnish.

I known it is a slow process by will keep checking until 2K miles to see.

I am 300 miles into my EC test at the recommended 5:1 ratio, I know it is still too early to come to any conclusions.

This is in a J35 series engine, which has a mildly varnished front bank, oil still looks clean and looking down the oil fill hole, still see the varnish.

I known it is a slow process by will keep checking until 2K miles to see.
Big change since 300 mile mark.

Closing in on the 600 Mile mark cleaning is starting to happen, I would say 40-50% of the varnish has been removed, and I am starting to see bare metal, granted this is limited view through the oil cap.

Oil has also turned color and starting to look like shellac.

At this rate may have a super clean engine by the time the OCI rolls around