HPL and TGDI engines

I have search high and low and cannot find a single thread with someone using HPL or Amsoil oil in a TGDI engine for an extended oil change interval. Is it only possible on PI engines. My asking is because I do about 10ths miles a year on my 2 cars, and it would be great to change in once a yr. On one car I can see doing it 2018 Crosstrek….I’ve seen extended UOA. The other 2020 Equinox 1.5T. I have only seen a few reports going over 6000 mile, mine included.

I have search high and low and cannot find a single thread with someone using HPL or Amsoil oil in a TGDI engine for an extended oil change interval. Is it only possible on PI engines. My asking is because I do about 10ths miles a year on my 2 cars, and it would be great to change in once a yr. On one car I can see doing it 2018 Crosstrek….I’ve seen extended UOA. The other 2020 Equinox 1.5T. I have only seen a few reports going over 6000 mile, mine included.
I’ve posted more than a few times about running 15k-18k mile OCIs in our 2017 2.0 Ecoboost primarily ran on amsoil, 10k miles is probably close to what the manufacturer recommends

I’m currently at 6800 miles on my 19 F150 3.5 EB, going to pull a sample. Fully expect to get at least 15k out of this oil with filter change at 5k & 10k.

HPL has a fleet customer that puts somewhere around 180 million miles per year (not a typo!) on about 3.5 Ecos with 15k OCIs. It’s been reported that there are zero cam phaser or timing chain issues on those engines.

This should be no issue but will vary on the specific engine. I have a UOA from running Liquimoly LLHT 5W40 to 9K in my tuned TGDI VW without issue (meaning fuel dilution and oxidation were "ok" and TBN left)...I'd run the HPL 5W40 I run now to 10K without hesitation. I change earlier because my cars sees somewhat regular track use. I'd do the same with Amsoil without worry. Can always do a few UOA along the way to get comfortable with fuel dilution...TBN will not be an issue here.

Last edited:
With fuel dilution, also known for some engines as excessive oil making, why would anyone even consider an extended interval? Gasoline doesn't make a good engine lubricant.

For data, UOA your oil for fuel. Pick a lab that doesn't guestimate fuel % like the common fastfooddrivethru lab that many use.

If the data gives you peace of mind, then extend your interval.

Much depends on driving style and automaker GDI combo. Fancy brands do not make up for bad GDI tuning, pathetic automaker, and my wife's short tripping engine torture.

I would NEVER consider an extended oil change interval without data. And, even with data, I'd consider the required log books for any warranty for future class action lawsuit. You can do whatever you want at your own risk.

With fuel dilution, also known for some engines as excessive oil making, why would anyone even consider an extended interval? Gasoline doesn't make a good engine lubricant.

For data, UOA your oil for fuel. Pick a lab that doesn't guestimate fuel % like the common fastfooddrivethru lab that many use.

If the data gives you peace of mind, then extend your interval.

Much depends on driving style and automaker GDI combo. Fancy brands do not make up for bad GDI tuning, pathetic automaker, and my wife's short tripping engine torture.

I would NEVER consider an extended oil change interval without data. And, even with data, I'd consider the required log books for any warranty for future class action lawsuit. You can do whatever you want at your own risk.

Highway miles are very easy on a car and oil, I agree. My my last UOA was excellent Blackstone recommended I try 8000.
2nd I saw post 6, wouldn’t a 3.5 eco be considered large? And is it DI?

I’m 66 and I do remember my parents had 302 V8 Fords. In modern times 3.5L is considered large, pretty soon 2L will be considered a large engines. Pretty soon my grandkids will ask me in olden times did I drive a gas car.

The downside to TGDI is fuel dilution. That will limit long drain intervals. Using a better quality oil like Amsoil or HPL though will still perform better as their higher TBN can better neutralize acidic growth from that fuel. Their lack of shearing also will help retain viscosity in the face of that dilution.

Remember that fuel dilution, in an engine that sees full operating oil temp of 210-230°F, is only seeing the tail end of the fuel's components with high boiling points. The actual volume of fuel entering the crankcase is about double what you see in the UOA. Examples of these components are aromatic hydrocarbons like toluene, xylenes, and ethylbenzenes which are slightly acidic. To best prevent oxidation and corrosion, these contaminants need to be neutralized. Common shelf oils can do it at the expense of service life, cutting the OCI down to 5k miles or even shorter in some notoriously bad cases, where as the higher end Amsoil Signature and HPL PCMO/Euro oils will still hold its ground well for a full 10k mile (or longer in some cases) interval.

There is something I realized I have failed to take into consideration. It does back up the reports about these cars dependability/performance based on words from Honda techs who own them on BITOG in past. So , many of us at BITOG are oil / engine / car freaks and we probably over maintain our stuff. What is wrong with that?
While we are doing that I failed to realize there is free test lab going on all around us just , oh say 24x7 - 365. Just think how many of these TGI or any diluter engines are being abused and used by all the many people who have no idea about much except where to insert the key. You can bet there are 1000xxxxx of those vehicles out there in daily use whose owner operators answer would be "what? dilute what? what dilution?" They simply go by the oil life meters and what ever oil Jiffy Lubes pour in on any given day. So far, we have not heard of any stampeeds of drivers with diluter engine failures... To me that is a good thing. Still, that will not cause me to extend my oci.
First oil change we did after wife got the car was following the Honda oil life indicator. When we dumped the sump , an entire extra quart of thin , burnt smelling oil/fuel came out at the 20% oil life reading. I have not allowed oil to remain in the car past 4000 mi since. Next oc will take in the HPL 0w20 supercar oil sitting on my shelf ready to go. A sample is going to Oil Analyzers / Polaris lab after run for a look see.

There is something I realized I have failed to take into consideration. It does back up the reports about these cars dependability/performance based on words from Honda techs who own them on BITOG in past. So , many of us at BITOG are oil / engine / car freaks and we probably over maintain our stuff. What is wrong with that?
While we are doing that I failed to realize there is free test lab going on all around us just , oh say 24x7 - 365. Just think how many of these TGI or any diluter engines are being abused and used by all the many people who have no idea about much except where to insert the key. You can bet there are 1000xxxxx of those vehicles out there in daily use whose owner operators answer would be "what? dilute what? what dilution?" They simply go by the oil life meters and what ever oil Jiffy Lubes pour in on any given day. So far, we have not heard of any stampeeds of drivers with diluter engine failures... To me that is a good thing. Still, that will not cause me to extend my oci.
First oil change we did after wife got the car was following the Honda oil life indicator. When we dumped the sump , an entire extra quart of thin , burnt smelling oil/fuel came out at the 20% oil life reading. I have not allowed oil to remain in the car past 4000 mi since. Next oc will take in the HPL 0w20 supercar oil sitting on my shelf ready to go. A sample is going to Oil Analyzers / Polaris lab after run for a look see.
I imagine the typical retort would be along the lines of something along the line of wanting to keep their car for over 300k miles. ;)

Well I finally got the HPL 0w20 supercar oil installed in our G-TDI 1.5 (sewing machine) engine in the wife's Honda Accord.
Been waiting to do that for a while. I will run this oci up to 4000mi and send if off to Polaris/Oil Analyzer Labs to see what
comes out. I drove it around a while today and I swear you can not tell the motor is running it is so quiet. One thing I do not
care for and its not based on any specific oil or grade. This car seems to throw off so much heat it is unreal. Just about every
time we park it in garage I pop the hood to let that heat escape asap. Many long time engine techs have advised me to do this
over the past 10 years since cars are coming with the tiny hi rev engines that make so much heat.

Well I finally got the HPL 0w20 supercar oil installed in our G-TDI 1.5 (sewing machine) engine in the wife's Honda Accord.
Been waiting to do that for a while. I will run this oci up to 4000mi and send if off to Polaris/Oil Analyzer Labs to see what
comes out. I drove it around a while today and I swear you can not tell the motor is running it is so quiet. One thing I do not
care for and its not based on any specific oil or grade. This car seems to throw off so much heat it is unreal. Just about every
time we park it in garage I pop the hood to let that heat escape asap. Many long time engine techs have advised me to do this
over the past 10 years since cars are coming with the tiny hi rev engines that make so much heat.

I've been taking the engine cover off (underneath the vehicle) on our Ford Escape 1.6 during the summer to let some of the heat escape easier.

I do this a lot with my Sportwagen in the garage....yeah they get HOT!

Back