How you can tell when a vehicle is from 'up north'...

I buy a car and drive it 10-12 years. Then it's got ~200k on the clock and is rusted out. I buy another one and start over. I guess most of you all want to drive the same car for the rest of your life? Don't you want to try something new once in a while???

Also from the USDA:

California, is in fact the #1 state by gross receipts, cows can live pretty much anywhere grass grows as evidenced by the splotches in West Texas, and the growing season is in fact short up north. Fun fact: farmers in my neck of the woods can grow TWO corn crops per year. I'd like to see them do that in Iowa or Minnesota.

That aside....do tell, how many of those splotches up north are for corn based ethanol production?
I'll wait...

I said MOST food is produced up north. Not which state is number 1 or 2. Not sure why you have an issue with a known fact.

It’s not about the growing season or how many times you can harvest, it’s about water. North has plenty of it, south does not.

Your own original comment came from ignorance plain and simple, like environmentalists complaining about oil because they think it’s only used as fuel.
It weren’t for folks living in the northern states, there would be not enough food to go around. You should be thanking them, not making fun of them.

I buy a car and drive it 10-12 years. Then it's got ~200k on the clock and is rusted out. I buy another one and start over. I guess most of you all want to drive the same car for the rest of your life? Don't you want to try something new once in a while???

Sure but don't like it looking like a rust bucket for those last 5 years, much less having to work on it. 😣

Our 02 Xterra with 163k on the clock and no rust anywhere. Original exhaust with no rust. I grew up in NW Pa thinking cars rusting out was just a normal thing.
20220327_160854.jpg

I tried something different once, but it wasn’t the same, so I didn’t like it.

Just let Trevor out. Was back at door in under a minute. This is the “don’t let me out when it’s below 30F” look 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 4D30DE0B-C61F-4F06-B128-06F813E07380.jpeg
    4D30DE0B-C61F-4F06-B128-06F813E07380.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3
All you need to know, in one picture. It's a 2016. Only 41000 miles. Look at that frame...

CarFax says that this one is from Michigan. No surprise there.

I have a 2004 with 140,000 miles (an Illinois truck all its life) and its frame still looks better than that.

View attachment 127277
Typical GM wax coated frame in the salt belt. Once that ice cold hard wax chips off ,its off the the rust races and fast

They don’t last long up north unless you fluid film (or other) the underbody. I watch South Main Auto and he sometimes has trucks less than 5 years old that are about ready for the crusher. 🙁
Right? I've seen him work on 2019 Silverados that had crazy amounts of rust underneath.

In regards to that Ram 1500 pic above. I've seen that many times as well on 2009's, so you're talking 14yrs, which is beyond the lifespan of a typical rust best vehicle anyway.

I've seen some wheel arch rust on ~2013+ Rams, but not rocker or cab corner rust that bad yet.

Typical GM wax coated frame in the salt belt. Once that ice cold hard wax chips off ,its off the the rust races and fast
I have a 2004 with 140,000 miles (an Illinois truck all its life) and its frame still looks better than that. Apparently mine wasn't a typical GM wax coated frame in the salt belt?

My first major rust lesson was my 1995 Explorer, which had spent most of its life in PA. This was around 2008, so it was only 13 years old, and I had spent a whopping $950 on it. It was a green on green 4x4 Sport that was almost fully loaded, so I was happy until I had to deal with the rust. The frame was actually okay aside from the rear cross member the shocks bolted to (one broke off pulling into my parents steep driveway), but fixing anything on it meant dealing with rust. Just replacing the blower motor resistor was 10 times harder than when I have done it on my rust free trucks. I finally got rid of it when the brake lines started leaking and the body was just not at all sound. Did have some fun off roading it, on one trail a guy said "how did you get that thing out here?" Front bumper valance had been tossed in the trunk is how. My 1994 Ranger had rust too. I should have known better, but the drivetrain and trim package (4.0, 4x4, manual everything, STX) was a had to have it situation. That truck put me through hell too, there are pictures of the rear frame clean up/gas tank strap repair somewhere on here.

Thankfully everything I own now is totally rust free. For some reason the 94 Explorer got Ziebart done, I'm assuming when new, even though it was originally sold in Pensacola, FL. May have been a retired snow bird truck originally since it's a loaded 2-door. It went to Cullman, AL around 1996 and apparently stayed there until I bought it, and looks almost like a new truck underneath now.

There have been cars that I couldn't get out of fast enough, and others that I wasn't tired of by the time they were done.

Two years ago in my searches for a rust free South West USA Lexus LX or Toyota LC

Finally found an '03 LX w/196K miles from PHX AZ...3rd owner (avitar pic)

Basically stock....only tire/wheel pkg installed by owner

By looking closely at the undercarriage for 2 years now....a snow/salt virgin

After my off road mods....lift....tires/wheels....sliders....steel bumpers...swing outs...etc

Dumped a lot of $$$ into this ole truck...runs amazing with the 4.7L Toyota V8

Nuthing like a car from the SW being away from all the winters from the NE

Reactions: GON
I wouldn’t really be interested in living below the line ya just drew ;) since I’m a huge four season fan. Winter is my favorite, except for fall! (Though I don’t love the rusting of cars, that’s one negative.) Good thing folks like all sorts of different things!
All 4 seasons gang 🫡
Cars need functional heat AND A/C
Mandatory tire tread depth is actually ABOVE the wear bars 😳
Tints for the summer, heated seats/wheel for the winter
Remote start ALL THE CARS 🎮
This winters lack of snow (and requisite salt) has the sanitation department confused 🤔

Back