How/Where do you keep/stash your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 jugs of Mobile Clean 5000 in the workroom with a few bottles of Supertech, Mobile 1, Mercon V and whatnot.

I also have 2 quarts of Supertech in my car.
One to use as top off oil for me, the other as top off oil for everyone else. My sister is notorious for never checking the lvl of her oil, and when I see her every few months I check it.

Right now I am in my first clean phase of a Auto RX cycle. I am only 150 miles into it and at least mentally I think there is a difference. I have enough stocked up enough to get through 2 phases of clean and rinse cycles....for the time being...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Loopie
Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
I heard it's not good to keep oil in the garage due to the fluctuating temperatures can alter it's shelf life?

Is that true?
I've had up to 500 quarts stored in my unheated garage at a time and my UOAs come back fine. Even using 5+ year old oil.

Not a problem. We all worry WAY too much. More important things to be concerned about.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Don't forget to notify your responding fire department that you have oil in your house. A cache of such liquid in quantities can be problematic to fire fighters in the event of a house fire, particularly if they don't know it is there. Most fire companies appreciate a heads up and will note that this is in storage at your address.

Motor oil would be a little problem compared to what some people have stored in their homes..

Esp these days..

I am trying to re-organize and it's coming down to outside garage storage being the most convenient. I have a big stash, but use it up pretty fast.

I am worried about the attic in particular, because it is quite flamable if it leaked down. I threw a jug of used oil on a bonfire and WOW!

Originally Posted By: cordeen
I keep the SSO in the firearm's safe and the ASL with the ammo.

Funny, that's what I was thinking as I read the first four pages.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
[/quote] I've had up to 500 quarts

Take care, Bill

500 quarts... [/quote] Yep, all gone.

I keep my unused second gallon of R.L.I. Bio-Syn nice and warm in my living room, inconspicuously located next to my chair lounger. I give it a few shakes every 2 or 3 days in the hopes of preventing any additive fallout, since I won't be using the oil for another 6 months. It stays warmer than I do.

I guess I don't keep that much oil on hand because I don't want to shake that many bottles {chuckle}

This brings up another question. If additive fallout does occur, will shaking actually work to reintegrate the fallen additives, not simply make'm disappear?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mau
in the basement, only oils that i am going to change in soon stay up in the garage.

And interestingly I do the opposite. I keep my oil in the garage. Five different oils for five different vehicles as it turns out. Plus some various tranny and chain drive lubes. And when it is time to change one the day before (in winter anyway) I shake, bring into the house, lay on it's side and let settle at room temp for the following days install. My garage never sees sub freezing temps even in sub 0degree F weather. But it does get a little hot in the garage in the summer. Some of my lubes are up to three or four years old before I use them but most I try to buy just 12 months prior.

I guess the question should have been phrased slightly differently:

If additive fallout does occur for those who rarely shake their oil, will late shaking actually work to reintegrate the fallen additives, not simply make'm disappear?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I am worried about the attic in particular, because it is quite flamable if it leaked down. I threw a jug of used oil on a bonfire and WOW!

I have a little in the attic, that's why I put it in a large Tupperware-type box with a snap on lid, if it springs a leak the container should hold it in.

John

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
I guess the question should have been phrased slightly differently:

If additive fallout does occur for those who rarely shake their oil, will late shaking actually work to reintegrate the fallen additives, not simply make'm disappear?
Need to live in California where the oil (and everything else you own) gets periodically shaken.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'm thinking more like if the bottles melted away. Tupperware would not change that.
Okay, so he needs to store the bottles in an old bathtub, with the drain welded shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back