how wax or ceramic new car?

hi! just got a new RDX. sort of dark metallic blue. I am sure that a $2,000 professional ceramic coating is best. friend got one looks great. I love it, but will not pay that amount.

Is there a reasonable do it myself ceramic I can try! I DO believe ceramic is way better than wax.

thanks for any ideas.

best,

Bob

hi! just got a new RDX. sort of dark metallic blue. I am sure that a $2,000 professional ceramic coating is best. friend got one looks great. I love it, but will not pay that amount.

Is there a reasonable do it myself ceramic I can try! I DO believe ceramic is way better than wax.

thanks for any ideas.

best,

Bob

I use a sealant 1x-2x/yr.

I have been using Hyperclean products for the last few years and love them. Their line of ceramic coatings is so user friendly. They have a great Youtube channel as well.

I've been using and loving Torgue Detail products for a couple years and love them.

Easy on, easy off, and looks great!
2024Apr30_DSF0948_Two Fords with same wheels_2000w.jpg

And I'm just a retail-paying customer.

P&S Beadmaker every 3 months for me. Usually miss an application mid winter of course. I would recommend against a true ceramic coating (usually applied with a small microfiber cloth and hard foam applicator) unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

I’ve been using Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Wash & Wax to wash weekly, and Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax every couple of months.

I had my SS professionally ceramic coated back when it was new. Frankly, after a couple of weeks I felt it was a waste of money. Clear wrapped about 50% of the car and called it done. 🧐

thanks for any ideas.

best,

Bob
Be really careful if you diy the ceramic coat. From my understanding you are supposed to apply it in a very clean indoor area like a garage, and not be too cold.

The above is true. Even so, keep in mind that there are fantastic ceramic products, from a large number of manufacturers, for just a few bucks.

My very favorite are the products from Griots Garage. They are world class good and properly priced.

I use their Ceramic 3 in 1 wax which is geared for cleaning and polishing and it is stunningly good. They also have an epic good pure Ceramic wax for $35.

I then clean up the cars with the Ceramic Spray Wax. A long life product that takes all of 5 minutes to wax the car .

Last edited:
A professional ceramic coating is a full detail and paint correction before application.
I know what it is and $2K imo is a lot of wood for that. I'll be sticking with what I've been doing, maybe if I had a Concours quality vehicle I'd think differently.

I know what it is and $2K imo is a lot of wood for that. I'll be sticking with what I've been doing, maybe if I had a Concours quality vehicle I'd think differently.
A proper decon wash, clay bar, dry, prep spray, polish, prep spray, ceramic is a minimum 8 hours. Learn to do it yourself and it costs a redbull or 2 + materials. People are afraid to get behind a polisher, it's easier than panting a room honestly.

A proper decon wash, clay bar, dry, prep spray, polish, prep spray, ceramic is a minimum 8 hours. Learn to do it yourself and it costs a redbull or 2 + materials. People are afraid to get behind a polisher, it's easier than panting a room honestly.
I've done proper detailing many times over the years. $2K for an 8 hour job detailing a car. I might start new a business in my retirement.

Last edited:
Griot’s Garage 3 and 1 Carnauba or Premium Carnauba are my favorites. I haven’t tried their Ceramic Liquid Wax yet.

Back