How warm is normal for trans temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dongle and use torque pro, I have noticed that the trans temp (output side of tq converter) is 206* cruising for 30 miles on the highway at a steady 70mph. The pan sensor reads 170* using the app. I use M1 Mercon V. I do pan drops every 25k miles ( round number) which is easy to remember. The car uses the in tank radiator to cool trans fluid. I'm in Waco Texas and it was 92* today. The car is a 2002 Focus Zetec powered automatic.
Is it running to warm?
I have had a bug screen on it for years. I just rinse the bugs and dirt off. The A.C. condenser looks like new with no bent fins. Same with the radiator.

Last edited:
While the car is in excellent condition, measure the temps a half dozen time or so. Average them out and you will have normal for your vehicle and your location and driving conditions.

Get a UOA and continue your overkill service schedule with that excellent transmission fluid. When things change you will know that something is happening, like normal wear and tear.

And, No it is not running too hot. Warm is good.

May want to find your specific model car forum. My one ton runs without load 170. Pulling 14k thru town can hit 200 before turning on auxiliary cooler/fan

Thank you guys for the replies. My dually is a 6spd manual, which calls for atf and gets the same M1 atf. It has a cooler which is odd for a stick but has a diesel engine so maybe it needs it. The dongle won't read trans temp in the truck.

An auto trans is happiest around thermostat-open coolant temperatures, and then up to maybe 220-230 F. That's been what I learned with Toyota's A340E transmissions over a long time.

Thanks guys
smile.gif

With my Diesel Dually pulling close to 24,000 lbs, I generally see trans temps of 180-185°F. Pulling the same load up a 10% grade at approx. 7000 feet in elevation, with ambient temps around 85°F for 5 miles, the trans temp just touched 200°F. Currently all stock drivetrain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
An auto trans is happiest around thermostat-open coolant temperatures (~200*F), and then up to maybe 220-230 F.

Yes, try not to ever go over 240-250.

I'm near Waco, also.

I was thinking about a tranny cooler for me, then I found out the tranny (GM 4T65E) has an oil temp sensor in the tranny and if too cool, it disables TCC and adaptive shifting!

By design OEMs can make sure a tranny doesn't last "too long" by stacking the deck against owners with computer program
firmware we can't tinker with!

Mine runs at 180F in a 70F environment.

Vintage Chryco A904 / A727 trannies liked 140 - 150F with far less clutch plate wear then at 180F, cooler were OK on the
non electronic trannies.

It's going to vary from vehicle to vehicle.

206*F is more than 10*F higher than my 2002 Ranger's transmission has ever read from the sensor, but may be well within normal for a FWD Focus of the era. Low 200s seems to be normal for many modern ATs.

Hyundai/Kia call the ATF heat exchanger thing on some of their cars a "warmer."

Something I have noticed crawling under FWD vehicles is how close the exhaust system runs to transmissions etc. Probably not so much an issue moving forward - but has to add heat in stop/go traffic ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Something I have noticed crawling under FWD vehicles is how close the exhaust system runs to transmissions etc. Probably not so much an issue moving forward - but has to add heat in stop/go traffic ...

Note that all our V8 trucks have some sort of exhaust piping running very close to or underneath the trans. Definitely adds some heat for sure.

temps vary

chrysler minivan, A/c off would stay below 100F winter, and during the summer generally 160 aft 45 minutes, with 220 on hills or aggressive acceleration. With A/C on, 180-210 nominal.

Tundra - unloaded. 100F winter, 135 max summer. A/C on summer, maybe 130-140.

Towing (OD Off) (A/C on and off)- 135-160. towing in mountains 180 typical, but 220 on long steep climbs.

Enable OD and it climbs to 180 pretty quickly and stays there. OD generates more heat in this trans. I avoid OD.

Both examples above are at cooler send line and a real gauge.

BUT-- what I really need to know for towing is the axle temp, as it is not actively cooled. It >radiates< heat during mountain towing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
You mean cooler outlet ?

I'd much rather know how hot the oil is BEFORE entering the cooler.

Measuring temp after only tells you what the cooler is doing... NOT the trans itself

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Note that all our V8 trucks have some sort of exhaust piping running very close to or underneath the trans. Definitely adds some heat for sure.

Interesting you say that. My Escalade just had the Y pipe replaced due to broken catalyst ( y pipe includes 3 cats). I have noticed the transmission temp gauge in the cluster is lower than usual, and we've had some 90F + days this week. The pipe wraps right over/near the transmission pan. Included in that replacement are heat shields. OP i would check yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back