How to tell if a tire is an OEM size - Latitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple weeks back I had a thread on what to put on my wife's Rav4. Lots of Michelin M/S recommendations, which would be great but I found out that they aren't made in the right size (215 70 16)....

Costco does have the Latitudes on sale, which I've read on here can be hit or miss. The misses seem to be attributed to OEM tire sizes from the threads I've read. How does one find out if their tire size is used for OEM equipment?

That I get - I didn't explain well. Many of the forum responses here seem to indicate that if a particular tire is used for an OEM tire, the quality is different in that size vs. the rest of the line.

This is a bit of an academic question because the Latitudes look to have an iffy snow rating on TireRack so I'm not sure they are the best choice. I really wish I could get a Michelin M/S for this car...

Last edited:
Sometimes tires that an auto manufacturer installs on a car with a model name of abc or xyz will be a smidgen different than the same model tire that the same tire manufacturer sells as abc or xyz in the aftermarket. Sometimes that aftermarket tire is better than what the factory tire was, sometimes not.

If you can't find the model of tire that you want in the factory size you can change the tire size as long as the overall diameter is as close to identical as you can get. For example, with a 215/70-16 you could try a 225/65-16 or a 205/75-16. They should all be similar in O.A.D. Then again they might not, as it can depend upon manufacturer. Tire Rack has a chart for each model of tire that will list the O.A.D. for each tire size.

Almost every model of vehicle offered an optional wheel that may have come with a different tire size, one that will open up the choices that you have available. Look into what was offered for your Rav 4 in those years and see what those wheels might cost you.

If you dig around on the Tire Rack site you'll find that there is quite a variation in the traction, temperature and treadwear ratings for each model of tire depending upon tire sizes, load ratings, speed ratings, etc. You be sure that will be a difference in the performance, gas mileage and miles of rated life as well.

Good luck choosing.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
That I get - I didn't explain well. Many of the forum responses here seem to indicate that if a particular tire is used for an OEM tire, the quality is different in that size vs. the rest of the line.

I wouldn't say that the quality is different, but the behavior certainly often is! OEM tires, as specified by the vehicle manufacturer, often sacrifice wet/snow traction and long life for low rolling resistance and a quiet/comfortable ride. This obviously isn't always the case, but it often is, especially with passenger car and light truck tires.

This is a bit of an academic question because the Latitudes look to have an iffy snow rating on TireRack so I'm not sure they are the best choice. I really wish I could get a Michelin M/S for this car...

If you go to Michelinman.com, and click on the "Specs" page for this tire, you can see that Michelin kindly provides the OE codes if the tire is an OE tire. Here is a link for your convenience:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/latitude-tour-tires#techspecs

You can see that there is no OE code listed for this tire in your size, so Michelin is not indicating that it's an OEM size. So that's a plus.

This question might REALLY be academic, however, because this tire is not available with the required speed rating, which is H. In fact, would you believe that Michelin doesn't make a single tire in that size and speed rating? Toyota used a very uncommon size, made even more uncommon with the requirement for an H-rated tire. Your full tire specification is 215/70R16 99H. You should shop for a tire that meets all of those criteria. In fact, many tire stores will not install tires with a lower load index or a lower speed rating than what the manufacturer originally installed.

Tires I would recommend include the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour, the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia, and the Firestone Destination LE 2.

Also: by "M/S" tire, I assume you meant the Michelin LTX M/S or LTX M/S2 in particular, but all of these tires we're talking about are M&S tires (also called M/S, M-S, etc). M/S means Mud/Snow and it's a very simple mathematical calcuation on a tire's tread pattern. All a tire needs to have to be labeled "M/S" or "M&S" or "M-S" is a certain void-to-tread ratio. In other words, are there enough void areas in the tread as compared to solid tread blocks. It's a rather meaningless rating, and most tires available for sale are rated M&S, including passenger car all season tires.

Toyota did offer an optional tire size on upper-level trims, and it's a much more common size: 225/65R17. Here still, however, they specified an H-rated tire. I personally think this is significant because Toyota did not ship ANY RAV4, regardess of tire size or trim, with an S- or T-rated tire. I personally default to the OEM in this case and assume that there's likely a good reason for that, and I'd stick to it.

Hokiefyd did an excellent job of dealing with Michelin tires.

I would point out that you can sometimes determine if a particular tire is OE from the tire manufacturer's website - BUT NOT ALWAYS!

Same with Tire Rack.

Tire Rack will also tell you what is OE on a particular vehicle. But their website doesn't always label OE tires. You can't be sure that any particular tire is OE on something.

Check some of the Rav-4 forums which I'm sure are out there. Like suggested maybe a slight difference in width on a tire.

My friend has a Honda Fit Sport with a very odd size (like 3 choices) and all suck. On Fitfreak forums it was one of the most popular topics Basically he changed from a 195 to a 205 (not sure on other #'s) which was like 1/4" wider same diameter and had multiple choices of tires from performance to normal.

I hate my OE Latitudes on my Jeep. At 22k, they are down to ~5.5/32nds. That is a good thing, because I can't wait to replace them. No matter what CR says, they are horrible in the tiniest amount of snow.

Thanks everyone. This has helped -- I did learn that I had tire sizes wrong. She's got 225 65 17 on it.

Hokie's link confirmed this size is a GM OEM, and when I look at tire rack the tread depth is much less.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I hate my OE Latitudes on my Jeep. At 22k, they are down to ~5.5/32nds. That is a good thing, because I can't wait to replace them. No matter what CR says, they are horrible in the tiniest amount of snow.

It is entertaining. I've been looking at Consumer Reports tonight on tires. It's amazing how different their take is on some of the tires vs. the Tire Rack reviews. It would certainly make this easier if they agreed!

Originally Posted By: kkreit01

It is entertaining. I've been looking at Consumer Reports tonight on tires. It's amazing how different their take is on some of the tires vs. the Tire Rack reviews. It would certainly make this easier if they agreed!

I believe that CR does a controlled test and the TR Ratings come from Customer Reviews. Although TR does their own controlled testing, that doesn't show up in the ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back