How to talk to a mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on a webcomic I follow called Basic Instructions.

2011-04-21-mech.gif

http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2011/4/21/how-to-talk-to-a-mechanic-rerun.html

Funny - but My Ford dealer (Hampton Ford-Hyundai) told me Im not allowed to talk to the mechanic. The Service writer said the reason the tech works there is so they dont have to deal with customers
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Funny - but My Ford dealer (Hampton Ford-Hyundai) told me Im not allowed to talk to the mechanic. The Service writer said the reason the tech works there is so they dont have to deal with customers
smile.gif

IMHO, my business wouldn't return after hearing something like that. I completely understand the "customers are idiots" attitude because it's just true. OTOH I still expect them to ignore policies like that when someone (like a bitoger) shows up that doesn't fit the general rule. Again, just my HYDAO.

Wow......"Hyundai Kia" dealership? That's an odddd...combination to say the least :p

anyways, back on topic.

Yea, the 2 dealers I went to (Bob Dance Kia in FL) and the Titusville Chrysler Dodge Jeep; both had a "service writer" and you can't really talk to the mechanic....they are locked behind a big steel door/room in an air conditioned shop
smile.gif

But will say, the Service Writer was able to point out exactly what was done to my vehicle. I always make a habit of making the service writer walk me to my car, helps to keep that "connection" there, and make them believe I'll be back (only when absolutely necessary....lol).

At the dealership where I use to work, we always had someone calling wanting to "talk with a mechanic". Basically, time is money. These guys were basically looking for a free diagnosis over the phone.

The big problem is that there are lots of idiots. Happens in sales too. Lots of guys want to know "what's my vehicle worth" over the phone. Had a guy with a construction company call and wanted me to value his trade over the phone and was upset that I needed to see it. Wanted to ask him "What's my 2400 sq ft home worth?" then give him [censored] when he couldn't value it over the phone.

I guess that the bottom line is if you don't trust the shop, don't go there. A service writer should be able to tell you what was fixed on your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: otis24

I guess that the bottom line is if you don't trust the shop, don't go there. A service writer should be able to tell you what was fixed on your vehicle.
I dont trust the service writer to communicate what i want done to the vehicle - ad in any third pary communication things get "edited' or "misheard". So, I type up a list clearly stating my car trouble and leave it in the car taped to the dash for the mechanic to see. And they still dont fix anythig under warranty - or as a nice gesture, they fix 1 thing and break 3 others in return. I'm still driving a Toyota with no brakes ( spongey pedal goes to floor) and a RF lower control arm dangling off. Toyota Tech says car drives normal
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
Wow......"Hyundai Kia" dealership? That's an odddd...combination to say the least :p

I think you misread something
smile.gif

While the OP did say Ford-Hyundai, our dealership family in Lancaster is actually a Hyundai-Kia and Subaru-Mitsubishi combination in 2 buildings. It is VERY weird.

All of those 'service advisors' collecting salaries are driving up the cost of service. I'd rather deal directly with the mechanic (and cut out the 2 middle men...the dealership owner and the service advisor) so I normally avoid dealerships.

Not just salaries!

They are also paid commissions on extra sales. This is why they sell services not recommended in the owners manual.

I notice at my local Honda dealership they ask if you want you car 'detailed' for an extra fee while it is getting serviced.

Even the local TireKingdom trys and push services to all customers that walk in their front door.

LOL
I talk to people all the time.
Even people that can't fix anything more complicated than a spoon generally understand what you're telling them, if you have some patience with them, and try to explain things clearly and concicely.(sp)
SHOWING people what's going on with their car is often THE best way to put them in a place where they are informed, and realise that they are not being ripped off.
ANYTIME an owner wants to see what's going on, we show them.
We field LOTS of phone calls, some simple as can be, some much more complicated.
We generally try out best NOT to be the bad guys.
I look at it like I was the customer, would I try to sell (insert repair or maintenance here) to myself? What are the priorites? Can I overlap some preventative maintenance with a repair?

Anyone that's worked on cars for a living KNOWS the vast disparity in the cars that come into a shop.
One owner will know some things about cars, another owner WILL NOT. One owner will describe what the problem is extremely well, others have no idea wha's wrong, only that something IS.
If the owner can't describe it, that's where a good service advisor can come into play by asking the right questions.
If I, as the tech, still don't know what I'm looking (or listening) for, I can give the advisor more questions, or simply have the call put through to me.
Some cars are completely neglected piles of junk, other are well maintained and repaired. Some of this is directly related to the service they get.
I can't tell you how many times I get cars that have only been to chain store lube shops, that are in need of serious repairs, and the owner doesn't believe me, until I show them, because (insert lube shop here) said the car was fine.

But back to the communication, if you can describe the problem in a decent manner, it's almost always easier to fix it.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

IMHO, my business wouldn't return after hearing something like that. I completely understand the "customers are idiots" attitude because it's just true. OTOH I still expect them to ignore policies like that when someone (like a bitoger) shows up that doesn't fit the general rule. Again, just my HYDAO.

I do my maintenance myself so I don't have to deal with idiot dealers!
banana2.gif

John

Originally Posted By: pbm
All of those 'service advisors' collecting salaries are driving up the cost of service. I'd rather deal directly with the mechanic (and cut out the 2 middle men...the dealership owner and the service advisor) so I normally avoid dealerships.

Easy to think that isn't it? But look at it this way...if a mechanic talks to every customer, he's wasting time he could be spending on repairs. Shop labor rates are upwards of $80hr...service writers typically make $10-15 hourly, sometimes more depending on experience and total duties.

To be blunt, its a waste of the mechanics time to talk to customers...that's why they have service writers. Even if its only 5 minutes per vehicle, it adds up. A big dealer has lots of overhead...they need those techs working on as many cars as possible.

Also, you have to factor in the extra training needed. Talking to customers is a marketing issue...not a mechanical one. Service writers are after all, marketing guys, and they have either been trained for the task, or have considerable experience dealing with people. Mechanics are often dirty while working, and to the "average" customer this may be a negative. Additionally, who is to say they necessarily want to talk to customers or are even good at it. Last thing a dealership needs is the mechanic putting his foot in his mouth...the service writer is the mouthpiece and he is versed in damage control.

Independent mechanics have to talk to customers because they typically don't have the extra staff for the task. But as auto shops grow, the first thing they usually do is get someone to run the office and up-sell, explain repairs, etc. The techs are there to fix cars...nothing more.

Quote:
So, I type up a list clearly stating my car trouble and leave it in the car taped to the dash for the mechanic to see.

I do the same thing except make two copies, one goes on the dash, and one is stapled to the service writer's form.
24.gif

In it, I state that I want them to call me and tell me what the findings were, the cost of each part and labor item, and then I I I decide whats to be done.

Then they look at me and say, "You must be an engineer."
blush.gif

I then plead guilty.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
I have a good friend who has his own shop and some of his signs are funny:

Being too talkative or asking too many D...n questions - $5 to $50, depending on questions and chattyness

Arguing with the Mechanic - $10 added to bill

Just being nasty - $20 added to bill

Just being an As....e - $50 added to bill

Arriving in a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit - $20 subtracted from bill (You must be a female and in good shape)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back