How to synch iPhone with Outlook calendar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I each have iPhones. On our home desktop computer, we run Outlook 2010 in which we have our own, separate Outlook profiles that connect to our personal e-mail accounts via IMAP and contain our personal calendars which are local to the computer.

Ideally, I would like to be able to sync my iPhone with the calendar in my Outlook profile and my wife's iPhone with the calendar in her Outlook profile. But, I'd also be OK if I could just get her iPhone to sync with her calendar. (I generally use my work calendar to keep track of all my stuff and it syncs to my iPhone via my connection to the Exchange server.)

Does anyone know how to do this?

I've Googled quite a bit trying to figure this out. iCloud seems to be one option. I've installed the iCloud Control Panel for Windows and logged in to it using my wife's iCloud account, but I don't see any way to specify which Outlook calendar to sync with.

It also seems that iTunes has the ability to sync with Outlook calendars. But similarly, I don't see a way to specify which Outlook calendar to sync with.

A third option might be to set up internet calendars and connect to them via CalDAV. I just haven't seen clear information as to whether Outlook 2010 supports CalDAV and unfortunately our personal e-mail provider (i.e. GMX.com) doesn't, so I'd have to set up an account with another provider for that.

Just add your personal email to your phone then go into settings and adjust what you want to sync.

64033A09-66C0-4470-A7AA-FADB4BAECC2D-150-000000052AFB3EE6.jpg

Originally Posted By: 97f150
Just add your personal email to your phone then go into settings and adjust what you want to sync.

Thanks for the reply, but it's not quite that simple. First, I don't use Gmail. Second, that doesn't have anything to do with syncing my phone to an Outlook calendar that is local to my home computer.

Using either the iCloud control panel or iTunes, can you see one or the other Outlook calendar on your local computer? It just won't let you choose the other one?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does this help at all? Note, they are using Macs in this example.

No, unfortunately it doesn't. I have Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 machine and the options that the video talks about are specific to the Mac.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Using either the iCloud control panel or iTunes, can you see one or the other Outlook calendar on your local computer?

In iTunes, this is what I see.

2u44obq.jpg

I don't know if it's prompting me to select calendars on my iPhone or the local Outlook calendars. As I write this, and the more I stare at the option, I'm starting to think that it's prompting me to select the calendar(s) on my iPhone. Then, upon initiating the sync, I'll be prompted to select an Outlook profile, or it'll use the one that I'm already logged on to (if I have Outlook open).

The iCloud Control Panel looks like the following (picture from Apple's site).

rhsaco.jpg

You pick the Outlook option, but there's no further configuration so I don't know what Outlook profile it would use.

If you have a Gmail account, there is a way to use it as a "pass-through". That is, you can have your local Outlook calendar sync to your Gmail calendar, and your Gmail calendar sync to your iPhone calendar.

Link

I'd try going all the way through the iCloud option and see if it lets you pick the Outlook profile to use. The iTunes version might work, but I think you'd have to plug the phone into the computer for it to sync...it wouldn't be over the air.

Does your ISP offer MS Exchange for your mail? This would be a snap if you had your calendar on an Exchange server (as you already know).

Playing with this some more this morning, I got iTunes to sync Outlook with the iPhone I had connected. However, iTunes seems to always sync with Outlook's default profile. This is even the case when you have Outlook up and running and logged in to another profile. Whereas you might think iTunes would sync with that profile, it still synced with the default profile. Apple's software doesn't seem to understand the idea of multiple Outlook profiles. Then again, I wouldn't expect Apple's software to play nicely with Microsoft.

I may give the iCloud Control Panel a try, though I suspect that it too will always sync with Outlook's default profile. Not to mention, it'll only allow me to sync with one iCloud account which is tied to one phone, so I may not waste my time.

So, it looks like I'll have to give Hokiefyd's "Gmail pass through" suggestion a try. But I'm wondering if Google's Outlook sync utility is going to have the same default/single profile issue.

It's more and more starting to look like getting this to work is going to require a calendar that sits on a server someplace and is accessed by Outlook and iPhone via WebDAV. My e-mail provider doesn't support WebDAV yet, so I'll have to use another provider to host the calendar. And it's not clear to me if Outlook 2010 supports WebDAV natively or if I'm going to have to install some third party software that adds support.

Try going into the event that you added, on your phone. Edit it and then in the Calendar field, choose the corresponding calendar for Outlook. You will a calendar the syncs to Outllok and one that syad PC. It should automatically update in Outlook then. Hope this helps.

I cloud is a little hinkey on a windows box, particularly if it is X64. Windows updates and Apple updates both break it regularly.

It is excellent on a MAC (not surprisingly).

BUT.

Just to be clear you DO NOT have 2 user accounts on the computer?

I am pretty sure that you can do what you want to do with 2 separate user accounts through either iCloud or iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back