how to store used oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I take my used oil to the local recycling center and they gave me this nice 10 gallon container to store the oil in. But they say "where's your oil filters? - Same $10,000 fine for putting filters in the garbage as putting used oil there" So I have been saving them for my next trip to recycling, but oil does something to the plastic bags so they leak and create an environmental no-no on my garage floor. What can I store them in that won't leak?

They sit on one of my oil pans and drain until they are ready to be taken in. Then I put them in a shopping bag and then into a cardboard box. Its not going to leak much in the 10 minutes its in there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I never know where to take mine. My local Wal-Mart sometimes takes them and sometimes doesn't, depends who's working there at the time. I don't know of any other place that takes them. AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. only take the oil. Right now I have about 10-15 of them sitting in the garage.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Okay, so I take my used oil to the local recycling center and they gave me this nice 10 gallon container to store the oil in.

Pictures please!

Save coffee cans and lids. A lot of filters fit nicely in there and they will catch any little bit of oil that still remains.

Never even knew you couldn't throw them out, been doing it for 30 years, woops!!

Anybody know if it's illegal in NY?

Originally Posted By: defektes
I clean the outside of the filter with a shop towel, then I put it in the box the new filter came in with the opening facing up.

+1

Yup, usually wait a day for it to drain and then put it in the box from the new one and put it in the bottom of the garbage can.

It isnt illegal to put oil filters in the trash as long as u let the oil drain i forget where i seen the exact epa spec on this maybe google? or that earth911 website has it. I always let mine drain upside down on some industrial wire over a drain bucket for a day or so i also cut mine apart so very little oil remains. but if anyone finds out if it is legal or not for sure maybe post the link?

No mandate to recycle or dispose of them in any manner here. I drain for ..heck, sometimes weeks. I may have several to get rid of at once. I do cut some open ..so they're broken down to next to nothing.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
The EPA mandates that they basically have to be either cut-open or allowed to hot drain then you can legally dispose of them in the garbage.

And by taking a sharp awl and punching a hole in the dome end, a lot more of the old oil drains out of them.

After two days of draining, I wrap them in a section of the newspaper with a round of masking tape to secure it, and throw them in the trash.

I store mine in an old oil drain pan. When it gets full, I take them to a tire store and dump them in their filter recycle bin. I'm pretty sure U.S. Filter takes them from there for recycling.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I never know where to take mine. My local Wal-Mart sometimes takes them and sometimes doesn't, depends who's working there at the time. I don't know of any other place that takes them. AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. only take the oil. Right now I have about 10-15 of them sitting in the garage.

O'Reilley's takes the filters too. At least my local one does. They have some machine they put it in and it crushes it and catches the oil and the crushed filters stack up until whoever they have comes and picks them up for recycling.

I been talking about O'Reilley's a lot lately because I had never regularly shopped at one until recently. We just had one open in our town a month ago. And for most items they are cheaper than Advance and Autozone. I pull up all 3 websites before I go to buy something and if they are not cheaper they will price match or even go lower.

I was in there the other day and a guy is buying a heavy duty battery charger and tells the guy behind the counter he wants it cheaper and what's the best he can do? LOL They knocked off something like $14 without a second thought.

Unfortunately, my nearest O'Reilly's is over 50 miles away.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back