How to store opened RTV gasket maker?

Throw it in the trash. There is too much risk involved with using an open tube of RTV. Jobs requiring any gasket sealer are typically high labor jobs; it isn't worth the risk over a $5-15 tube.

I just put the lid back on and throw it back in the toolbox then when it’s time to use it again I take a pick and take out the hardened stuff and use it never have an issue with it. I just used the one for the ATF pan today and the Black one I used a few weeks ago. I loan it out a lot so mine gets a lot of use I have friends who are obsessed with putting it on gaskets. I also have about every kind they make for various projects I have done or for customers who have given it to me after I get done using it for their repairs if they request it. It never dries up in the tube itself just in the top of it.

I haven’t done it, but I’m thinking about a small piece of aluminum foil over the end, then screw the cap back on over it.

It's nice not being married. I keep stuff like that in the freezer. I use that 3M 4200/5200 stuff that's like $35 a tube.

I dont know of a woman who is happy about keeping sealant in the refrigerator/freezer. I do hear of guys on here washing their funnels in the dishwasher so who knows. Lol

Already touched on by by a few posters, but per the Permatex Ultra Grey TDS:

Storage of Unused Product
1. Create a “Silicone Plug” by allowing excess material to extend beyond the extension nozzle or aerosol tip to cure, sealing and protecting the remaining product from moisture. For reuse, simply remove the cured product from the tip.

I bought these tube sealers. Not bad, the plastic stick keeps a channel open.

Attachments

• 2B8046C3-559A-4273-8775-B28F33BFCD8F.jpeg
    2B8046C3-559A-4273-8775-B28F33BFCD8F.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 32
  • B07FC244-8615-4E75-BBDD-B317811B2114.jpeg
    B07FC244-8615-4E75-BBDD-B317811B2114.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 32
Back