How to store a compressed spring?

JHZR2

Staff member
Mercedes springs… w126. Big ones.

IMG_4232.jpeg

To change some guide rod mounts I need to remove the spring. It’s the easiest way and lets me also work on the lower control arm bushings. But my time is limited. Will probably take weeks per side to complete.

So I don’t know that I want to keep the spring like this:

IMG_4426.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

I want to be safe, low risk, but the spring and car is in an unoccupied area. I also want to minimize chance of damage to my spring.

It’s risky to decompress the spring, though the. It will be at a zero energy state.

I can store the spring, compressed or not, in a totally safe place where nobody could be hurt.

It’s totally static, but a lot of potential energy is in there. So do I decompress fully? Partially? Leave it alone?

Could any damage be done to the spring leaving it like this too long? What about if I compress it totally too many times, can’t that damage it?

Thanks!

Typically, coil springs don't wear just being in a compressed state. They wear from being cycled. This is not the same as the coils being stacked as shown in the posted photo.

As mentioned, loosen the compressor.

I just went and did the other side guide rod mount, bushings, and LCA bushing.

IMG_0439.jpeg
IMG_0454.jpeg

I had that other side spring in that loosened state for the last month or so.

I got it out pretty easily, decompressed it easily, but tonight was like the last time, only worse.

The issue is that I have to recompress the spring fully, and tight. While it’s on the ground, wanting to turn.

On the ground seems like the safest bet since I can keep the most distance and it’s not at head or face level. But it’s hard to do.

Then I had a harder time getting it back in, which isn’t fun… trying to get a fully compressed spring back into place while peering into the fender area.

Not good.

So for a loose spring like this, what’s the best way to hold it steady to compress it again?

Last edited:
I would relieve some of the pressure and reapply before install. No need to totally remove the compressor.
What’s the easiest way to get it back fully compressed once it’s loose and out of the car? I do t think I’m keen on putting the spring or any part of the compressor in a vice…

It would also be nice to re-install with a bit less than total coil to coil compression. I have to wonder if releasing the shock would be acceptable.

Releasing the shock is a good idea. Think through it, check frequently, watch the angles while turning things. Keep a jack under the suspension to control it

Releasing the shock is a good idea. Think through it, check frequently, watch the angles while turning things. Keep a jack under the suspension to control it
Sorry, none of that is really relevant for this very specific scenario. Obviously it’s sound advice in general.

It’s an OE internal spring compressor. It can only be set up one way.

I’m talking about safely releasing the spring and then fully (the coils literally need to touch each other to fit back in) compressing back with the spring sitting on the ground. That’s the safety concern/issue.

I know it’s dumb, I should have sat it on a blanket, but once when re-compressing it, holding it in place with my foot against a block of wood, I got a pebble stuck between the coils. It didn’t want to compress obviously.

But on the ground, on a blanket or dirt or whatever, or not, may not be the best way. There’s something to be said about having it on the ground away from one’s face. Having it at face level to do anything isn’t great. And holding the compressor or a coil in a vice Im not sure if prudent for a variety of reasons.

But what do I know. That’s why I’m asking for more peer review…

I agree with Trav. Back off of the compression until you need to reinstall the strut. Stored energy should be controlled to the extent possible. You may have some left, but totally compressed as it is contains much more energy.

Sorry, none of that is really relevant for this very specific scenario. Obviously it’s sound advice in general.

It’s an OE internal spring compressor. It can only be set up one way.

I’m talking about safely releasing the spring and then fully (the coils literally need to touch each other to fit back in) compressing back with the spring sitting on the ground. That’s the safety concern/issue.

I know it’s dumb, I should have sat it on a blanket, but once when re-compressing it, holding it in place with my foot against a block of wood, I got a pebble stuck between the coils. It didn’t want to compress obviously.

But on the ground, on a blanket or dirt or whatever, or not, may not be the best way. There’s something to be said about having it on the ground away from one’s face. Having it at face level to do anything isn’t great. And holding the compressor or a coil in a vice Im not sure if prudent for a variety of reasons.

But what do I know. That’s why I’m asking for more peer review…
As you would a new spring.
should have sat it on a blanket, but once when re-compressing it, holding it in place with my foot against a block of wood,
You did not remove the compressor so it is good to go as is just compress.

Back