How Low Can We Go: Thoughts After 1 Week of Driving on a Rear Set of 40mm Lowering Springs

In my limited knowledge, cutting a spring removes the designed tapered end of the coil which curves towards flat. This puts a higher stress point on the area of the spring which transitions from the perch to the air. From what I remember, this was a popular “cheap” mod which was known for a relatively high rate of failure. The purists avoided it.

Coil springs are very complicated suspension parts, lots of math goes into building them. The only springs I ever had that did what they were suppose to do are the ones made by BMR.. I bought two inch lowering springs for my 69 elcamino and decided to try the BMR offerings from some good press.. They went right on and put my 69 el Camino exactly two inches lower then stock. If you look in the manual they show you were and how to measure the suspension. They were dead nuts on and after two years there still dead on..
The ride is excellent.

I think it’s a cool project.

For all the naysayers, this is basic hot rodding. Who cares that it’s a van, the first “hot rods” were never “intended” for that either. Meanwhile Speedkore is making a Hellcat Pacifica, with an appropriately named “Lilith” package that cranks the horsepower to 1,514. BoostedBoiz have their 1996 Honda “Rowdyssey” making 1,000hp. The man ain’t hurting nobody, let him enjoy it.

mm sports van.. that could actually catch on. good power and handling with all the space you could want.

I'll put it on my list of stupid stuff i want to do, right above houseboat racing

There is NO reason to do this. If you want your van lowered, just increase your kill rate and you'll have more bodies compressing the suspension... or haul around a load of dirt or something... yeah, ossifer, it's dirt in those bags I have duct taped tight.

j/k, but, it's silly to equate a lowered van to a sports car. The main criteria for sports car is a lower center of gravity. Some will disagree. That's fine on a straight line drag strip but not so much driving roads with curves and lane changes.

At the same time, if you don't haul loads, then I wonder why a van in the first place, but I support your effort to do what you want to your own property, as long as it's well thought out and doesn't pose a danger to other drivers. I just don't have any reassurance that it doesn't, since not tested with a large sample size, so I feel like you are missing an opportunity here.

If you really like the better handling from dropping a van a little, and aren't hauling loads so that doesn't matter, you really need to look at replacing it with a lower center of gravity, lighter duty vehicle that comes from the factory already set up for better handling. No?????

Houseboat racing could be fun... as long as you don't actually live on it, and all participants can swim well. :)

It was my hope and objective to isolate those of you whom have the skills and talent that may have done this before and walk me through this. This will be the first set for coil springs we've ever cut and although this will be a new pair. I don't need to flub anything up. Seeing how I never got any plausible comments, I turned the topic not up for debate there after. I found my answers and support at a hotrod site and through Eaton springs video.
Researching an unfamiliar process/service and proceeding with plenty of caution is always a good way to approach these types of unknowns. Kudos for that!

Having said that, this particular scenario is starting to feel like it’s been made overly complicated and thought about too much.

It’s pretty straightforward honestly. You already knew only one end could be cut, so identify and mark that end before making the cut with an angle grinder or hacksaw. Heck, even a Dremmel tool w/ a few cut-off wheels would suffice.

File down any sharp or jagged edges once the cut is complete, and it’s done. Grab a beer and celebrate!

Now, I guess it’s too late for my advice to do much good at this point, as it sounds like the job was just recently attempted and successfully completed. Nevertheless, the general concept has some merit I think - don’t fall victim to analysis paralysis, and don’t overly complicate something that isn’t that complicated.

motorhome rallycross is already on the list

but you could have a demolition derby with the ones that survive

This topic Is no Longer up for debate..

It's been 1 week since installing the rear set of 40mm lowering springs on the van. The springs have settled and now the rear of the van is lower than the front but not by much. I've contacted the coil manufacture and asked if they can create a 8mm-10mm front set of springs for the van. They offered me a set of 20mm springs. But that's too much. they went on to say that they could create a new set for us and this would be a one off and has never been done before.. but this could take 1 year to create as they are currently backed up in orders.

I'm left with 2 options:
  • Install a 1/4 (or less) spacer/isolator at the rear lifting up the rear slightly (not happening)
  • Cut a new set of front coil springs 8mm-10mm (98% sure this will happen)
Reason being is this morning located a set of 2019 coil springs and according to hotrod sites, the only springs that can be cut are those with flow through or those with a continuous rotation. (attached image)

View attachment 152710
As you can see in this mage, there's a pig tail at one end (which can't be cut) and the continuous coil at the other end (which can be cut). We're planning on getting a new set of the front coil springs direct from Ford and have these cut to our desired length.

HA! I sent the pic to my wife and she's like "Let's Go For It!" I told her, you realize this means we'll have a hotrod van.. Cutting stuff like the big boys now..

YouTube Video Search: "cutting coil springs"
“This thread is pointless without pics”

Need some pics of this van man!

I have cut springs (in my past), and it turned out pretty good. I had to upgrade to stiffer shocks to keep it from pogoing, as it will also stiffen the spring rate for the springs that you cut as well - many folks don't believe it, but it will give you a stiffer ride. Make sure to keep the steel cool while cutting to not change the temper, and round all your edges, maybe even grind a slight flat into where it meets the mount, and it works just fine.

What bunch of Debbie Downers... The guy wasn't asking to be critiqued, just wanting to share his project. Not everything is going to make sense to everyone. Does it affect you? Didn't think so. Don't worry about it. We should be happy that there still are people in the world who are willing and able to get their hands dirty. Support them, don't cut them down!

Back